Lexan Bend Radius

Old December 5th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Default Lexan Bend Radius

Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?
Old December 5th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
David Lamphere

The 1/8" Lexan (MR10?) I have for my project is REALLY tough! It won't
break unless you bend it over on itself - and even then, only when you beat
on the bend or bend it back and forth a bunch of times.
I would say that if you use a radius equal to the thickness or greater, you
aren't going to be getting into trouble. And I doubt you need to bend it
even that tightly!

Mighty nice stuff! Mighty expensive too :-)

Dave

"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Old December 5th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Bending hot or cold?

I've seen references that suggest using a sheet metal brake which is an
almost negligable radius (and I assume a cold bend)

Hot you should be able to form it at will.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 6th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:05:39 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Bending hot or cold?

I've seen references that suggest using a sheet metal brake which is an
almost negligable radius (and I assume a cold bend)

Hot you should be able to form it at will.

I don't think lexan lends itself to hot bends, however I have made
several three panel winshields in a sheet metal brake. I bends
beautifully, however don't ever spill gasoline on it, especially if it
is stressed or it will craze and shatter almost immediately.
Old December 6th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Ed Sullivan" wrote in message
I don't think lexan lends itself to hot bends, however I have made
several three panel winshields in a sheet metal brake. I bends
beautifully, however don't ever spill gasoline on it, especially if it
is stressed or it will craze and shatter almost immediately.

I have had two aircraft with Lexan windshields - an Ercoupe and an Emeraude.
Both of the windshields were gently curved and installed cold. Both of them
were unsatisfactory as they developed internal crazing which rendered them
unusable when flying into the sun.

I would not use Lexan for this application again.

Rich S.

Old December 6th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 00:38:10 GMT, Ed Sullivan
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:05:39 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Bending hot or cold?

I've seen references that suggest using a sheet metal brake which is an
almost negligable radius (and I assume a cold bend)

Hot you should be able to form it at will.

I don't think lexan lends itself to hot bends, however I have made
several three panel winshields in a sheet metal brake. I bends
beautifully, however don't ever spill gasoline on it, especially if it
is stressed or it will craze and shatter almost immediately.

Or ANY hydrocarbon. Don't even think about wiping with a varsol
dampened rag. Even some waxes and polishes have a hydrocarbon solvent
base and can/will damage lexan.

Old December 6th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

You can hot bend lexan but you have to preheat it for some time at just
below 212* F to drive the moisture out of the material before raising
the temp to the bend temp.

I don't recall the time nor temp I used, though. This was done about 18
years ago for my landing light on my RV-6. The lexan did craze
somewhat. Would not have been good used for a windshield or window.

John

Ed Sullivan wrote:
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:05:39 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

news

Old December 6th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

I don't think lexan lends itself to hot bends, however I have made
several three panel winshields in a sheet metal brake. I bends
beautifully, however don't ever spill gasoline on it, especially if it
is stressed or it will craze and shatter almost immediately.

I have had two aircraft with Lexan windshields - an Ercoupe and an

Emeraude.
Both of the windshields were gently curved and installed cold. Both of

them
were unsatisfactory as they developed internal crazing which rendered them
unusable when flying into the sun.

I would not use Lexan for this application again.

Rich S.

Every now and then, I get the nutty idea that Lexan would ake a great
windshield material because of its impact strength. About halfway through a
thread like this one, I start to remember a lot of the problems and learn a
few new ones. The two that always come to mind are the difficulty of
polishing out any scratches and inability to tolerate shock cooling: IIRC,
Steve Wittman tried a lexan windshield on one of his aircraft only to have
it shatter when he pulled it out of his heater hangar and into the cold for
a flight to Florida.

Peter

Old December 6th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Charles Vincent

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
Whats' the minimum bend radius for 1/8 and 3/16" polycarbonate sheet?

Bending hot or cold?

I've seen references that suggest using a sheet metal brake which is an
almost negligable radius (and I assume a cold bend)

You adjust the bend radius on a sheet metal brake with the fingers
through a variety of mechanisms, the simplest being fingers with the
appropriate radius ground on their tips. If you do much sheet metal
work on anything other than HVAC ducting or roofing flashing, bend
radius is a big thing. Basically, anything structural requires
attention. Do a google search on Sheet metal Brake and you will see a
number of variations. The following link:

http://www.randmachine.com/sheetmetalbrake.html

is for a small cheap brake. It incorporates a single blade or finger,
but it is reversible with a 3/8 inch radiused side. It mentions using
the radiused side for Lexan specifically.

Charles
Old December 6th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Charles Vincent" wrote in message
t...
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"J.Kahn" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ok, I stand (sit?) corrected. I was thinking siding brake - not sheet metal
brake - My mistake. Sorry.

$100 hamburger radius Stubby Piloting 30 November 13th 06 11:46 PM
East River turning radius Gary Drescher Piloting 106 November 9th 06 05:17 PM
Minimum bending radius for 0.050" 6061-T6? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 11 February 5th 04 04:59 PM
birch ply- Bend oregon? patrick mitchel Home Built 0 January 16th 04 12:40 AM
What is the reasoning behind the smaller radius vice presidential TFR? Larry Dighera Piloting 38 November 19th 03 04:04 PM