"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 6th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rip

Default "Rolling" to ATC

Mxsmanic wrote:

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

If you
understand that sims and real life are two different things then why do you
insist on posting questions about sims here when there is a perfectly good
flight sim newsgroup?

The goal of simulation is to precisely duplicate real life. Therefore
questions about real life are relevant to simulation (whereas the
converse is not necessarily true).

Anthony, you've almost, but NOT QUITE, passed the Turing Test. A few
more neural networks and you'll be up to human capacity at all levels.

Rip
Old February 6th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Rip writes:

Anthony, why would it be undesirable were you to kill yourself in a
simulator crash?

One of the key advantages of simulation is that undesirable aspects of
the real world can be left out. There would be little advantage to
simulation as a training tool if mistakes left the pilot dead.

Old February 6th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Rip

Mxsmanic wrote:

Newps writes:

Doesn't matter to us.

You speak for yourself only.

BAAAAAAP! (Application of 50 joules at delta Tau = 1 msec through
joystick, sticky with erzatz human effluvia).
Incorrect assumption, Anthony!
Error, Error, Error!!!
He speaks also for me.

Rip
Old February 6th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

I don't fly to any of the away games. That almost never works.
Weather's too crappy and you need a car anyways at the other end. Not
much of a transition moving up, the kids handle it fine. Where are you
located?

Viperdoc wrote:
Just got back from practice- my son is a squirt, and I'm one of the
assistant coaches. We have play downs this weekend (do these sound
familiar?), but unfortunately I'll be in San Diego for a meeting.

It was actually warmer inside the rink than outside tonight, with the OAT
hovering at -4degrees. With two to three practices and at least one to two
games on the weekends it cuts into the flying time. However, we try to fly
to his games, even if it's only a 15 minute ride. Of course going to the
distant tournaments really becomes more fun- and I usually commute by plane
rather than drive.

Was it a big transition going from squirt to checking? My son isn't very
big, so I'm concerned about him getting crushed.

Old February 6th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Rip writes:

He speaks also for me.

If that were true, you wouldn't be saying this.

Old February 6th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Logajan

Mxsmanic wrote:
Rip writes:

He speaks also for me.

If that were true, you wouldn't be saying this.

Score 1 for Mxsmanic (it got a chuckle out of me, anyway).
Old February 6th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Chris,

There's a couple of other differences that spring to mind as I type
this -

Worldwide, there's a ton.

our flight levels start at 13,000 feet versus 18000 in the
US.. It is 18000, right??

Ours start at 5000 feetin Germany. And coming back down, the transition
level is given by ATC, depending on QNH (err, altimeter setting). It is
either FL60,70 or 80, whichever is closest to, but above 5000 feet.

And we use the English Q codes and the US doesn't.. We use QNH for
our altimeter setting, and QFE for altimeter setting that makes the
field elevation zero.

Not only that, we also use SI units for that, IOW Hectopascal, not
inches Hg.

In Russia, IIRC they still use meters for altitude.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 6th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 6, 10:04 pm, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
Chris,

There's a couple of other differences that spring to mind as I type
this -

Worldwide, there's a ton.

I am starting to realise that! How does someone get on going across
Europe? I presume it's only the French who actively dislike speaking
English on the radio, but there's gotta be lots of traps for young
players...

our flight levels start at 13,000 feet versus 18000 in the
US.. It is 18000, right??

Ours start at 5000 feetin Germany. And coming back down, the transition
level is given by ATC, depending on QNH (err, altimeter setting). It is
either FL60,70 or 80, whichever is closest to, but above 5000 feet.

Wow, that's low - not many mountains there, right??

And we use the English Q codes and the US doesn't.. We use QNH for
our altimeter setting, and QFE for altimeter setting that makes the
field elevation zero.

Not only that, we also use SI units for that, IOW Hectopascal, not
inches Hg.

Our units are all mixed up - we use knots for speed, feet for
altitude, but metres for runway length and visibility and as you
pointed out, hectopascals for QNH. Although at least one of our club
planes has a dual scale altimeter. Not terribly useful here, but there
you go!

This country is also a bit different geographically - at a lot of
places, especially in the North island, you can see from one side to
the other at quite a low altitude.. Hard to get lost, all you gotta
do is head east or west and you can follow the coast home..
And thats why our cruising levels are designated north/south as
opposed to the east/west of other countries.
Oh, and the air is nice and clean here, an average day is 50km vis,
I've seen it as high as 100km! Makes it easy to go somewhere with a
landmark like a mountain, you can see it an hour before you get to
it!!!

In Russia, IIRC they still use meters for altitude.

Yep, so all those Yak 52's that are now coming into this country all
have screwy instruments..

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 6th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

My son plays in WAHA (I think it stands for Wisconsin amateur hockey
association) as a second year squirt in the Elm Brook program. I am the
level director and one of the assistant coaches for his team.

Flying to tournaments works for us, since my wife generally drives, and I
fly up for the games. I have a lot of other responsibilities related to work
and the Air Force, so this gives me more time to get other stuff done on the
weekends, as well as an opportunity to fly. Who could ask for more?

Last night we were trying to teach the defense to cut off the player coming
out of the offensive zone without drawing an interference penalty- it's
tough to make a play on the puck and cut the player off as well and make it
look like they were just playing the puck.

I tried to get the kids to turn toward the player coming out of the zone,
and not the puck. Do you have any input on this move from the ref's
perspective?
. ..

Old February 6th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Chris,

How does someone get on going across
Europe?

Well, educate yourself ;-)

For example, most European countries have the standard VFR squawk of
7000 (not 1200, as in the US). Germany used to have 0021 below 5000 and
0022 above. They are now changing that to 7000 to "harmonize".

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)