finding mountain passes for flight planning?

Old March 27th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default finding mountain passes for flight planning?

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
To rephrase my question. I was look at the Colorado Pilots Association's
web
site and they have a listing of Colorado passes
http://www.coloradopilots.org/conten...p?menuID=16~16 and
they
have a listing of Colorado gaps
http://www.coloradopilots.org/conten...p?menuID=16~16 . It
made me
wonder what's the difference between a gap and a pass.

E. Explanation of different lists:
a.. The list of gaps came from source 1 which combined passes and non-pass
gaps, listing all as gaps. Those appearing in the List of Gaps are not
passes (saddles on a ridge), but are narrow passages, often of a stream or
road, and were determined by inspection of the 7.5 minute USGS map.

b.. The List of Passes in Colorado without Official names contains passes
I have discovered on maps or in person but could find no label, so have
chosen a name from a nearby topographic feature.

c.. The List of Passes in Colorado without complete information contains
passes which are named, but which I have not yet been able to locate
precisely
d..
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 27th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:30:46 GMT, (Ron Lee)
wrote:

Just be aware of TUNNELS like on I-70 west of Denver.

Right! Be sure to put on your landing lights in the tunnel!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 27th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cub Driver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in
:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:43:29 GMT, (Ron Lee)
wrote:

Can a Sport Pilot fly over Independence Pass?

One web source places the altitude at 12095 feet. You tell me if your
aircraft and any possible sport pilot restrictions makes that
realistic.

10,000 feet is Sport Pilot limit.

Funny to think that Independence "Pass" is actually higher than the
Sundeck on Aspen Mountain (Ajax to those who love it). No wonder my
poor Beetle was puffing.

As I recall, Loveland Pass (the old road from Denver to Glenwood
Springs, now bypassed or underpassed by the Eisenhower Tunnel) is
about 10,000 feet. I guess I'd have to fly West by way of Texas, huh?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Yup, I "think" the only way around for a Sport Pilot is El Paso... If
there is another (better) one, I'd like to know about it.... I'm
attempting to plan a sport pilot CC from SNA to OSH....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old March 27th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chris Schmelzer wrote:

And if you need to ask about passes, perhaps you should take a
high-altitude airport/mountain flying course?

He didn't ASK about mountain flying courses!

What, you take a mountain flying course and get a secret book that lists
all the passes for a given route?

Chris, the point about suggesting a mountain flying course is that
there are factors about flying here than can kill you if you are not
informed. The suggestion was a good one. Even taking the AOPA on
line course may at least alert you to some or all of these special
considerations.

Ron Lee

Old March 27th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cub Driver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote:

As I recall, Loveland Pass (the old road from Denver to Glenwood
Springs, now bypassed or underpassed by the Eisenhower Tunnel) is
about 10,000 feet. I guess I'd have to fly West by way of Texas, huh?

Dan, tell us where you are and where you are going and someone may be
able to offer a reasonable route.

Ron Lee
Old March 27th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Cub Driver" wrote

As I recall, Loveland Pass (the old road from Denver to Glenwood
Springs, now bypassed or underpassed by the Eisenhower Tunnel) is
about 10,000 feet. I guess I'd have to fly West by way of Texas, huh?

The road over Loveland Pass reaches 11990 feet, according to the sign at the
top.

Old March 27th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ET wrote:
Yup, I "think" the only way around for a Sport Pilot is El Paso... If
there is another (better) one, I'd like to know about it.... I'm
attempting to plan a sport pilot CC from SNA to OSH....

I got through between Albuquerque and Santa Fe just fine in a Cessna
150 a couple of summers ago. Go early in the morning and keep a close
eye on density altitude as it relates to terrain elevation, airplane's
service ceiling, and your desired/required height above terrain.

Here's a link to a similar thread on Google Groups from about a year
ago:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T1FD56DDC

-R

Old March 27th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rob wrote:

I got through between Albuquerque and Santa Fe just fine in a Cessna
150 a couple of summers ago. Go early in the morning and keep a close
eye on density altitude as it relates to terrain elevation, airplane's
service ceiling, and your desired/required height above terrain.

One thing is climbing as high as possible outside the mountains and then
crossing them at high altitude in straight and level flight. No special
training required, anybody can do this.

"Real" mountain flying, i.e. flying in the valleys, is a completely
different beast, but wonderful and worth the effort.

Stefan
Old March 27th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Rob" wrote in news:1143490712.415380.3080
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

ET wrote:
Yup, I "think" the only way around for a Sport Pilot is El Paso... If
there is another (better) one, I'd like to know about it.... I'm
attempting to plan a sport pilot CC from SNA to OSH....

I got through between Albuquerque and Santa Fe just fine in a Cessna
150 a couple of summers ago. Go early in the morning and keep a close
eye on density altitude as it relates to terrain elevation, airplane's
service ceiling, and your desired/required height above terrain.

Here's a link to a similar thread on Google Groups from about a year
ago:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T1FD56DDC

-R

K, but we are talking about a Sport Pilot flying the route (with all
airspace signoffs).... A Sport Pilot cannot fly over 10,000msl, period.