Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

Old September 26th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Blood Pressure/Medical (longish)

Jeff...

Welcome back to the land of aviators.

I do not say this as a physician, nor do I play one on TV. I only relate
what my own situation is. At 60 I started getting nudgingly close to that
magic blood pressure point myself. In some conversations on this ng I
learned that some people react to diet coke with elevated blood pressure
readings. Just to see whether or not that was the case, I went cold-turkey
on diet coke (not the sugary leaded stuff) for a week before my last two
physicals (normal ingestion here is about four cans a day). Blood pressure
was down on both visits to 120/75, the same as it was when I played college
sports at 18.

Just a comment. YMMV.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
news:C31F1909.C1E33%jeff.bucchinoSPAM@CATCHERgmail .com...

When a second visit to the AME the next day resulted in even higher
readings, he was forced to send the paperwork to Oklahoma City with his
findings. Note to self, don't drink coca-cola for lunch right before your
BP
test.

Old September 26th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tina writes:

I seem to remember reading that in France one is likely to be treated
for hypotension at levels considered close to ideal in the states. Is
that still the case?

France likes to medicate more than the U.S., as a general rule. I'm not aware
of specific differences with respect to treatment for hypertension, however.
It's hard to see why anyone would still be medicating for BP of 100/60, in any
case.

As far as being on meds for life, my husband's cardiologist wants
very much for him, by weight control and exercise, to wean himself off
the diuretic he's taking for mild hypertension. I guess he went to a
different med school than did mxs.

Or a different med school than many other doctors. Note that a diuretic isn't
really BP medication per se.

What fraction of Mxs's well written posts are wrong or misleading?

That's where doing your own research can come in handy. Don't take anyone's
word for anything.
Old September 26th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Viperdoc wrote:
He's like the perpetual last kid chosen to play on the team-
he needs attention and wants validation, but is unable to understand why he
doesn't get it...

He gets an inordinate amount of attention right here. That's why he will
be with us indefinitely.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old September 26th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in

Oh good god, he's dioing medicine now.

There's no limits to his knowledge and
opinions as long as he doesn't have to
strap into the front seats of a real
aircraft.

Old September 26th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article 78ce5a7befebf@uwe, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe
wrote:

Viperdoc wrote:
He's like the perpetual last kid chosen to play on the team-
he needs attention and wants validation, but is unable to understand why he
doesn't get it...

He gets an inordinate amount of attention right here. That's why he will
be with us indefinitely.

It's a troll. It would be less successful if people would just ignore it, like
they should every troll.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old September 26th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:36:30 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

Perhaps he stayed at a Holiday Inn
Express.

That would require leaving home.
Old September 27th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

As a shrink, I would not do diagnostics without having talked with
the subject. There are some with the skill to do so, those usually
work fot the government

We all recognize Mx's claim of skills as not uncommon among those
seeking attention. Consider his situation: probably intellegent but
isolated, poor, claiming an association with those who pilot
airplanes, a group with very different characteristics.

I deal with children who would like to be considered 'superior. The
good news is, some of these kids can actually make choices that will
lead them to leadership posiitons in society. Mx, I suspect, has
trouble holding professional level postions. My husband, who has is
own company, had mentioned, reading some of Mx posts, that he would
have to bring a huge amount to the table to avoid being terminated if
he was an employee of convenience. Mx's attitude and dogmatic defense
of his errors would be a serious handicap in industry. Most readers
would see that, and I'd offer great odds on bets that he has
experienced those kinds of things in his career (or job-holding, his
employment may not be a career).

On Sep 26, 8:57 am, "Viperdoc" wrote:

You're the psychologist- what do you think?

Old September 27th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_3_]

On 9/26/07 11:42 AM, in article
2007092608422516807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom, "C J Campbell"

On 2007-09-25 16:59:05 -0700, Wizard of Draws
said:

I can fly again.

Yea! Good to hear you are running again, too.

Thanks. It felt too good again this evening. Tomorrow will see me limping a
bit I'm sure. But at least it seems to be getting just a bit less painful
each time.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 27th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_3_]

On 9/26/07 2:20 PM, in article ,

From: Wizard of Draws

Two more checkup visits to my personal doc, a new one this time, and he
feels the need to change the meds to 10 mg Lisinopril and 12.5 mg HCTZ.
Sigh. At least it's combined into a single pill now, so I don't have 2
prescriptions that run out alternately. But the doc says now he has enough
info to write the FAA a letter and let them know my medical status. So he
did. And I waited, not knowing how long the paperwork would take to work
it's way through the system. Surprisingly it isn't that long. Ten business
days after the letter was mailed, I received a medical certificate back from
the FAA.

I can fly again.

At the risk of sounding like some whacko "new ager", have you considered
Meditation? I was faced with a similar situation of rising blood pressure
several
years ago and, like you, hate the thought of treating it with drugs.
My wife got me into trying to control the physical with the mental. Over the
years,
I've learned to control my blood pressure with my mind.
I now can have fun every time they slap the BP cuff on me by asking the Dr. or
nurse "What numbers do you want?". I'll give them nearly what they
say.....from
"You're about to explode" down to "I think you're legally dead".
I still haven't perfected it to the level that my wife has. She has this weird
ability
to stop her heartbeat at will. She uses it to make some incredible shots with
rifle (bottle caps at 300 yards). I still have to time a shot between the
beats.
I've also found that diet and exercise has done wonders for my cholesterol
level. Ten yrs ago it was 290 with triglycerides that ring the bell (690). Now
my
cholesterol level is down around 180 with triglycerides of 260 (still high,
but a hell
of a lot better). Now, if I could just get rid of this extra 20 lbs. But no
way am I going
to be running (unless I'm being chased). I do a lot of hiking, though.
Anyway, congrats on getting the medical. But you may be surprised at how well
the meditation could work at getting off the meds.

This age thing is a bitch, ain't it?

Even though I'm a California native and it's logical to think I'd be all
over something like your suggestion, I'll stick with my old friend running
and change the diet for a while first. (Running probably works better for
weight loss too)