How to get help getting $$ for airport upgrades?

Old August 20th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to get help getting $$ for airport upgrades?

We have been very vocal lately about the successful first large gliding event at Nephi, Utah that ended a few weeks ago. The city and county were very accommodating and helped us to get the airport grounds as usable to gliders as possible without spending big bucks.

Now that we proved to them that gliders will come in large numbers and will want to come back year after year, we are ready to start working with them on a master plan to make further glider-friendly improvements to the airport. The improvements in mind will cost tens of thousands up to hundreds of thousands if we could get everything we wanted. I want to be as prepared as possible to work with them and help them to help us.

Some of you have worked with government and elected officials in the past to get improvements to airports that help gliding. I would love to learn from you what worked, what were the hot buttons to get officials motivated and what possible federal or other programs are available that will help match or provide funds for airport improvements.

I know that Moriarty just got a cross wind runway. Great!!! I heard the mayor changed out with a new one which helped but what did the new mayor have to do to get the funding?

Thanks for your ideas and info and please feel free to also contact me directly to discuss.

Thanks!
Bruno - B4
Old August 20th 13, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Bruno,
IMHO the key to funding is to work with the State of Utah. I am sure their DOT has an aviation department/division and these are the key folks that work with the FAA to help secure airport funding.

Now, local officials are key in the support of any project, as they may have to kick in 5% or 10%, and you will need their support, but it is the state folks that you really need to work with.

The on-going improvements at the Moriarty airport, that have been taking place over many years, have been the result of very serious efforts on the part of the airport manager (Bob Hudson), Moriarty city officials, folks in the New Mexico DOT Aviation office, and of course, the FAA, but the real key (at least here in NM) were the state folks.

The NM state folks handle grants and airport development and I am sure that there are similar folks at the state level in Utah, who also have these same responsibilities.

Thx - Renny Rozzoni
Albuquerque, NM

Old August 21st 13, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruno

The Minden Soaring Club worked tirelessly with the FAA and county staff to help get the funds for the best glider staging area in the USA. Get to know your local FSDO officials and start there. Stress airport utilization and safety.

Rick Walters

Old August 21st 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill[_2_]

What Renny says is true. It also takes a dedicated and active Airport Advisory Board and, perhaps the key entity, is a competent engineering firm with airport experience. They are the ones who work closely with FAA and State officials, help prepare the grants for the airport owner and keep the required Airport Layout Plan and Master Plan up-to-date. The FAA will not even consider any projects without these critical documents.
Steve Hill, Chairman, Moriarty Municipal Airport Advisory Committee.

Old August 21st 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fantastic info and help guys, thanks! We now have some more direction of where and with who to focus our efforts.

Thanks again,
Bruno - B4

Oudie2's available again in the USA - Upgrades also available Paul Remde Soaring 0 August 20th 12 09:32 PM
Oudie Upgrades Paul Remde Soaring 4 April 20th 12 12:54 AM
Boeing May Get $7 Billion for F/A-18 Upgrades Amid LockheedFighter Delays [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 August 10th 10 12:06 AM
GROUND ALL MINI 500's WITH RICK STITT CONE UPGRADES...OR DIE! Dennis Chitwood Rotorcraft 2 January 6th 04 05:07 AM
Combat Flight Simulator 2 Upgrades Graeme Porter Simulators 2 August 11th 03 09:27 AM