A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How to get help getting $$ for airport upgrades?

Old August 20th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How to get help getting $$ for airport upgrades?

We have been very vocal lately about the successful first large gliding event at Nephi, Utah that ended a few weeks ago. The city and county were very accommodating and helped us to get the airport grounds as usable to gliders as possible without spending big bucks.

Now that we proved to them that gliders will come in large numbers and will want to come back year after year, we are ready to start working with them on a master plan to make further glider-friendly improvements to the airport. The improvements in mind will cost tens of thousands up to hundreds of thousands if we could get everything we wanted. I want to be as prepared as possible to work with them and help them to help us.

Some of you have worked with government and elected officials in the past to get improvements to airports that help gliding. I would love to learn from you what worked, what were the hot buttons to get officials motivated and what possible federal or other programs are available that will help match or provide funds for airport improvements.

I know that Moriarty just got a cross wind runway. Great!!! I heard the mayor changed out with a new one which helped but what did the new mayor have to do to get the funding?

Thanks for your ideas and info and please feel free to also contact me directly to discuss.

Thanks!
Bruno - B4
Old August 20th 13, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Bruno,
IMHO the key to funding is to work with the State of Utah. I am sure their DOT has an aviation department/division and these are the key folks that work with the FAA to help secure airport funding.

Now, local officials are key in the support of any project, as they may have to kick in 5% or 10%, and you will need their support, but it is the state folks that you really need to work with.

The on-going improvements at the Moriarty airport, that have been taking place over many years, have been the result of very serious efforts on the part of the airport manager (Bob Hudson), Moriarty city officials, folks in the New Mexico DOT Aviation office, and of course, the FAA, but the real key (at least here in NM) were the state folks.

The NM state folks handle grants and airport development and I am sure that there are similar folks at the state level in Utah, who also have these same responsibilities.

Thx - Renny Rozzoni
Albuquerque, NM

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:34:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
We have been very vocal lately about the successful first large gliding event at Nephi, Utah that ended a few weeks ago. The city and county were very accommodating and helped us to get the airport grounds as usable to gliders as possible without spending big bucks.

Now that we proved to them that gliders will come in large numbers and will want to come back year after year, we are ready to start working with them on a master plan to make further glider-friendly improvements to the airport. The improvements in mind will cost tens of thousands up to hundreds of thousands if we could get everything we wanted. I want to be as prepared as possible to work with them and help them to help us.

Some of you have worked with government and elected officials in the past to get improvements to airports that help gliding. I would love to learn from you what worked, what were the hot buttons to get officials motivated and what possible federal or other programs are available that will help match or provide funds for airport improvements.

I know that Moriarty just got a cross wind runway. Great!!! I heard the mayor changed out with a new one which helped but what did the new mayor have to do to get the funding?

Thanks for your ideas and info and please feel free to also contact me directly to discuss.

Thanks!

Bruno - B4

Old August 21st 13, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Bruno

The Minden Soaring Club worked tirelessly with the FAA and county staff to help get the funds for the best glider staging area in the USA. Get to know your local FSDO officials and start there. Stress airport utilization and safety.

Rick Walters

Old August 21st 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill[_2_]
external usenet poster

What Renny says is true. It also takes a dedicated and active Airport Advisory Board and, perhaps the key entity, is a competent engineering firm with airport experience. They are the ones who work closely with FAA and State officials, help prepare the grants for the airport owner and keep the required Airport Layout Plan and Master Plan up-to-date. The FAA will not even consider any projects without these critical documents.
Steve Hill, Chairman, Moriarty Municipal Airport Advisory Committee.

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:50:49 PM UTC-6, Renny wrote:
Bruno,

IMHO the key to funding is to work with the State of Utah. I am sure their DOT has an aviation department/division and these are the key folks that work with the FAA to help secure airport funding.

Now, local officials are key in the support of any project, as they may have to kick in 5% or 10%, and you will need their support, but it is the state folks that you really need to work with.

The on-going improvements at the Moriarty airport, that have been taking place over many years, have been the result of very serious efforts on the part of the airport manager (Bob Hudson), Moriarty city officials, folks in the New Mexico DOT Aviation office, and of course, the FAA, but the real key (at least here in NM) were the state folks.

The NM state folks handle grants and airport development and I am sure that there are similar folks at the state level in Utah, who also have these same responsibilities.

Thx - Renny Rozzoni

Albuquerque, NM

Old August 21st 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Fantastic info and help guys, thanks! We now have some more direction of where and with who to focus our efforts.

Thanks again,
Bruno - B4