Gordon Boettger Downwind Wave Record Attempt - Mon 02/17/2014

Old February 17th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Gordon Boettger Downwind Wave Record Attempt - Mon 02/17/2014

At sunrise on 17 February, we are planning on launching in the Duo Discus glider from Minden at sunrise and aiming for Rapid City, SD as our goal, a distance of over 933 miles. Below is a link to the map with our position updates every 5 minutes. If you'd like to see the details of our position, you can click on the blue dots on the map to see our speed, altitude, time, and position. Please do not send text messages to the InReach as I will be extremely busy. Walt Rogers will be assisting in weather and communications with us throughout the flight. We just have to hope that the weather lines up properly for this to happen. It should be fun to watch as a lot can happen flying without a motor.

Gordon Boettger is sharing their location at the MapShare web site: https://share.delorme.com/GordonBoettger

Follow on twitter: https://twitter.com/wrogerswx

Walt's Blog: http://scriptogr.am/wrogerswx/archive

NOTE: Due to the large (70+) cc: address on Gordon's past flights, we must significantly cut back entries on that list. Please, monitor the flight either on my twitter feed @wrogerswx or my blog. Last time, Google shut down my email account late in the afternoon.
Old February 17th 14, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Woohoo GO MAN GO!
Old February 17th 14, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Gordo's Flight Plan...

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8abn83d7v2f...140217_sml.jpg
Old February 17th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:17:59 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
Gordo's Flight Plan...
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8abn83d7v2f...140217_sml.jpg

Thanks Walt - Is Hugh with Gordo on this attempt?
Old February 17th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Gordo looks kinda stuck a bit past Fallon.
Looks like he's trying to climb back up but
hasn't gained 2000 feet in the last half hour?
Hope he gets up and going again...
Old February 17th 14, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

On Monday, February 17, 2014 12:40:10 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Gordo looks kinda stuck a bit past Fallon.

Looks like he's trying to climb back up but

hasn't gained 2000 feet in the last half hour?

Hope he gets up and going again...

My best guess is he's gone about 180mi so far...
Old February 17th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The satellite loop is interestingly blue. Gorgeous lennies all over Oregon. Was this forecast?

John Cochrane
Old February 17th 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It'll be slower going without confidence the wave is working ahead.
Currently working the Rubys, S of Secret Pass at 18.
In that area you're low below about 12, even on thermal days. The nearest airport Wells Harriet is at 5770'.
Jim
Old February 17th 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

On Monday, February 17, 2014 2:50:13 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
It'll be slower going without confidence the wave is working ahead.

Currently working the Rubys, S of Secret Pass at 18.

In that area you're low below about 12, even on thermal days. The nearest airport Wells Harriet is at 5770'.

Jim

Climb up to 27k just west of Salt Lake. With a ~75kt tailwind that should give him a gliding range of 350mi+ added to about 250 done so far.
Old February 17th 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

He just passed Logan, but low near Bear Lake. Hopefully he can get up near Meade Peak and then on to the Salt River Range. He should at least get to Afton Wy.