The SparrowHawk

Old October 3rd 05, 04:41 AM

Default The SparrowHawk

Hi Gang
I picked up the SparrowHawk almost a month ago from Bend, Oregon
after flying it in marginal conditions there for just less than an
hour. This posting updates my thoughts and experiences with this
ultralight machine. Remember that since the SparrowHawk weighs less
than 155lbs it can be considered an ultralight or be registered as an
experimental. I chose ultralight and avoided state sales taxes,
property taxes and the problems of being considered an aircraft by the
FAA just like you do with a paraglider or hanglider. So what do I now
think about this unique flying machine? It lives up to my expectations.
Having about 12 hours of airtime with this machine here are my
comments. Lets describe today's flight out of Minden. The old pro
"Mountain Mike" took his Ventus high performance glider out early and
had a high tow to about 10k (5k agl) and sunk out. Then another tow and
again sunk out. I released at about 1.8k agl and thought I was also
going to sink out. At 800 feet agl over the airport caught a thermal
and went to 10k and positioned myself beneath the clouds (12k) and went
forward hoping to get into wave. No such luck. On the third attempt and
just below cloud base I shot in front of the clouds and smooth wave.
Then an easy climb to 18k but not without its excitement. At 16k I saw
a Southwest jet heading for Reno. We were about a quarter mile
separation at the same altitude and then a blue/red commercial jet
passed me at less than one half mile separation. This was disturbing
since the speeds of the commercial jets are above 250mph at these
altitudes. At 18k I applied full spoilers, headed for where the lift
would not be and descended. The mechanical altimeter (Sage) showed a
climb rate of 1000 feet per minute. It took several seconds to figure
out that the needle had rotated 270 degrees and my descent rate was
actually 2500 feet per minute or 30mph.
What a sweet machine the SparrowHawk is with no significant negatives.
It can be towed like a regular glider at 65 knots. It can fly at nearly
140mph and it can thermal in a gnat's fart. Is it the ultimate glider?
No! On a strong day a high performance sailplane full of water to max
gross will leave it in the dust for long XCs. However for pure fun in
conditions like today it is sure hard to beat. Why do I always have a
big grin on my face after a flight in this machine?
Dave

Old October 3rd 05, 05:04 AM

Dave,

Glad you're enjoying the new ship. Keep us posted as you develop a
larger body of experience.

Martin

Old October 3rd 05, 02:45 PM
Fred

David:

Congratulations on a great flight! One small correction: I told you
earlier in the day that the previous tow (to which you refer) was a
high one. I had the wrong information: he took a tow to less than
2,000'. (That's what happens when you're stuck on the desk.) That
does not diminish your flight at all: you and I have talked about what
niche the Sparrowhawk fits in, and I think you're doing a great job of
exploring that niche. I had doubts it would do well in our strong
wave, and you're showing that it can hold its own. Keep it up. Fred

SparrowHawk gyrocopter model for X-plane available Noel Lopez Rotorcraft 1 September 22nd 09 05:24 AM
Update on the SparrowHawk and more.... David Bingham Soaring 40 June 14th 04 09:34 AM
Wanted Sparrowhawk David Bingham Soaring 18 May 4th 04 11:20 PM
Sparrowhawk vs PW5 Willie Soaring 16 March 4th 04 11:08 PM
Jet Glider Sparrowhawk Mark James Boyd Soaring 31 January 22nd 04 06:09 AM