monument depicting heroic Hmong and Lao veterans

Old January 8th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default monument depicting heroic Hmong and Lao veterans

Memorializing Lao Hmong Veterans and Their Quest for Freedom
Thursday January 5, 6:47 pm ET
A Journey of Comrades Across Time

FRESNO, Calif., Jan. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- A sixteen foot tall, fourteen
ton marble and bronze monument depicting heroic Hmong and Lao veterans
coming to the aid of a downed American flyer in Laos was recently
unveiled in Fresno's Courthouse Park by Mayor Alan Autry. He was
assisted by General Vang Pao, the leader of American trained Hmong and
Lao forces in the secret, fifteen year guerilla war against communist
armies that ended in 1975.

The Lao Hmong American War Memorial is the result of a three-year local

effort to tell the story of struggle, hardship and sacrifice of the Lao

Hmong warriors and their families during the Viet Nam war. The Memorial

recognizes the role of these soldiers and their families in American
history while they were in Laos and now in the United States. More than

55,000 Hmong live in Central California. Fresno is home to the largest
Hmong population outside of Laos.

Freedom should "be the right of every individual born on the planet ...

it is a basic principle of civilization," Autry said at the unveiling.
"Freedom in America not only defines us around the world as a country,
but also as a people."

"The people we once called allies, we now call friends and neighbors,"
Autry continued. "Our city is better for it."

General Vang Pao, speaking to the enthusiastic and appreciative
audience in his native tongue, talked about the dangers of communism,
the patriotism and loyalty of his secret army, the sacrifice of losing
35,000 men in this war of freedom and saving more than ten times that
many people over the course of almost fifteen years of mountain combat.

"History has proven our cause to be noble," he said.

Dan Casas not only represented Table Mountain Rancheria, a major
sponsor of the Memorial, but also many of his fellow Special Forces
veterans when he spoke quietly of the permanent bond of brotherhood
created between American and Lao Hmong soldiers, saluting the courage
and loyalty that was shown in Laos. He also noted the courage that was
required for these soldiers and their families to leave their homeland
and successfully transition from American ally to American patriot. "I
salute you," he said, snapping to attention at the podium and giving a
sharp military salute to the uniformed Lao Hmong soldiers standing as a

unit throughout the ceremony.

In his comments, Youa True Vang, representing Hmong International New
Year, Inc., one of the major sponsors of the Memorial, said the
depiction of Lao Hmong soldiers assisting a downed American airman was
especially poignant to him because he had "personally saved many
American airmen" over the course of fifteen years.

And then, continuing emotionally in his native language, True Vang told

the mostly Lao Hmong crowd, "You and I will live for a little while. We

will no longer be here ... this monument will bind us together ... this

monument will live forever."

Judy Case, Fresno County Board of Supervisors Chair noted that "freedom

comes at a high price for soldiers and their family" and honored the
Lao Hmong community for their local contribution to the success of
Fresno County.

Council President Mike Dages, a Vietnam Veteran, recalled "the struggle

of the Hmong people who fought for democracy and gave their lives and
the lives of their families for a life of freedom." He then turned to
the uniformed Lao Hmong veterans and said, "Look at the faces of the
Lao/Hmong solider that stands here before us today and you can see the
sacrifices they gave to be an American. (They) left their homeland,
knowing they could never return and came to America to start a new life

and this monument will show the dedication the Lao Hmong soldier has to

America."

Then on a very personal note Dages somberly intoned, "My friend Gilbert

Ayala, gave his life for the struggle of freedom in Vietnam, and I am
here to see that he is part of this monument, that his memory lives on
in his monument, and the soil that the monument stands on is the soil
of freedom -- fought for so hard, by so many."

The unveiling ceremony occurred on the eve of America's traditional
holiday season and the Hmong New Year. Cultures were crossed and time
was erased as Mayor Autry asked that the 60 uniformed Hmong Lao
veterans be joined by other veterans in the audience and honored with
an ovation by a lunchtime crowd that had swollen to almost 1,000.

Autry then concluded the ceremony with "a moment of silence for all
those who have ever been lost in combat." At its conclusion, friends
and veterans gathered round the Memorial sharing their common
experiences and shared values -- a journey of comrades across time.

Background

Lao Hmong American War Memorial

Mayor Alan Autry of Fresno launched the effort to memorialize the
heroism of the Lao Hmong fighters during a Hmong New Year's Celebration

in December, 2002, emphasizing the importance of bringing the Fresno
community together around the themes of "freedom, loyalty patriotism
and family."

The Memorial was made possible in part by the guidance of the Lao Hmong

American War Memorial Committee, a $100,000 donation from Table
Mountain Rancheria, a $10,000 contribution from the Fresno County
Office of Education and the financial support of more than 60 other
individuals, families and organizations.

Related Quotes

"The people we once called allies, we now call friends and
neighbors."

Alan Autry
Mayor, City of Fresno

"My friend Gilbert Ayala, gave his life for the struggle of freedom in
Vietnam, and I am here to see that he is part of this monument, that
his memory lives on in his monument, and the soil that the monument
stands on is the soil of freedom -- fought for so hard, by so many."

Mike Dages
Memorial Sponsor
Fresno City Council Member

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human
history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to
improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends
forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million
different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current
that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Pete Mehas

Fresno County Office of Education, quoting Robert F. Kennedy from a
1966 speech in South Africa

Inscriptions on the Memorial

Dedicated to the Lao and Hmong soldiers who fought courageously
alongside American soldiers in Laos during the Viet Nam war.

Their demonstration of profound bravery, loyalty and commitment to the
Unites States during the Viet Nam conflict is an inspiration to people
of both countries.

The Memorial reminds future generations of our enduring appreciation of

a people, a time, and a sacrifice that must never be forgotten.

***
In eternal remembrance of those who courageously made the ultimate
sacrifice so we can be here.

***
We extend our eternal gratitude to all who sacrificed in the name of
freedom. May this monument serve as a constant reminder to present and
future generations of the real meaning of loyalty, courage friendship
and patriotism.