Air compressor question

Old September 18th 03, 02:54 PM
Rich S.

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

Yep, but that makes it worse, not better. I'd expect RMS power to be about
70 % of that 1800 watts.
That's about 1300 watts, or less than 2 HP.

Well, if 4.5 hp out of a wall socket isn't enough, how about this one???

Rich "To infinity and beyond!" S.

6 HP, 20 GALLON COMPRESSOR

Oil-free design for lower maintenance. Easy-grip cushioned handle.
Quick-connect, regulator, dual gauges and tool tray.
Horse Power: 6
Power supply: 120V
Air pressu 135 PSI maximum
Air Delivery:
@ 40 PSI: 8.3 CFM
@ 90 PSI: 5.8 CFM

Tank size: 20 gallon
Shipping weight: 100 lbs.

Porter Cable# CPF6020

ITEM 45158-1VGA
$299.99

Old September 18th 03, 07:38 PM
RogerN

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

I dunno beans about air compressors, so maybe someone else can explain it

me:
The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800 watts.
746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall socket?

The 120VAC is not the peak voltage, it's the RMS voltage. The peak voltage
of a 120VAC system is around 170V. If you take peak volts X peak amps, you
get peak VA, then multiply it X the power factor to get the peak watts,
divide by 746 / %effeciency to get peak HP. errrr.... I think.

Old September 18th 03, 10:04 PM
Corrie

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message news:2uX9b.372665$Oz4.149020@rwcrnsc54...

Fred Speculating I wonder what the average time difference is between
deciding to build an airplane and actually starting the project.

Define "starting the project" :-)

Corrie (owner of several sets of plans, a bunch of tools, and a small
amount of wood)
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm
Old September 20th 03, 06:47 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:17:35 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
I am still working on home remodel so it will be some time before the
airplane gets started. I am pretty darn convinced that I am going to do

an
all wood and fabric airplane. More than likely, the Fisher Tiger Moth.

Anyway, I have come to the point in my home remodel that I am going to

need
an air compressor. But instead of just getting one that will do the job
here, what might I need one for when it is airplane time?

What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?

Any name brand preference?

Whichever model you choose, be SURE to listen to it run before you plunk
down your money. Some of the new compressors are loud enough to shred your
neighbor's panties.

Rich S.

Part of the things to consider is if you will use a lot of air tools, or go
electric. For a wood airplane, I could see a bit of sanding, and spraying
finish. A small 30 gal 3 HP compressor would not keep up with a air sander,
or spray gun very well. I like air tools cause they are usually cheaper,
lighter, and don't get hot under heavy usage.

If you can swing it, get a big upright 5 HP , NOT oilless unit, and put it
outside if you can. It saves the ears and the space in the shop. All it
needs is a small lean-to roof.

I have one of the big 80 gallon units set at 175 psi tank pressure. I
get very little tank condensation, but it is going outside into a
small shed/leanto. If you are doing some fine work and that sucker
kicks on you will have to go hunting to find where the work landed.
It's not terribly noisy, but enough that when it comes on unexpectedly
it will startle you.

However, if I keep it outside I need to figure out how to get the
condensation out without if freezing in the tank.

OTOH it'd be wayyy to big for home construction. Yet when doing metal
work such as grinding and cutting with the pneumatic tools it kicks on
quite often. I have a smaller one like the ones used on construction
sites for nailers and other portable pneumatic tools that works fine
for that. It's just a bit heavy for hauling around, but still not
bad.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old September 20th 03, 06:54 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:10:59 GMT, John Ammeter
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:08:08 -0700, "Tim Ward"
wrote:

"Rich S." wrote in message
Check out item 47065-2VGA at http://www.harborfreight.com/.

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
Two Built-in Universal Quick Connect Couplers for Convenient Air Hose
Connection
Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast iron

sleeve
Twin capacitor motor with thermal overload protection
Wheel kit with 6'' wheels and ergonomic for smooth portability
Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance
Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz
125 PSI max; 4.4 CFM @ 90 PSI; 11.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
Shipping weight: 152 lbs.
$169.99

Rich S.

I dunno beans about air compressors, so maybe someone else can explain it to
me:
The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800 watts.

Most of the circuits in our house are 20 amp with ground fault. There
is one 30 amp and my den has two 30 amp 220 volt outlets( for the ham
station)

746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall socket?

Tim Ward

You DON'T.....

Ohhh come on John, you can too...It's just I use a 220 volt 50, or 60
amp socket like the one for the kitchen range:-)) Well that and it's
mounted on the surface and fed through conduit. It's gotta be close
to a 90 foot run from the breaker box. No, I didn't use #14
either:-))

Did I mention it's out in the shop too?

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

John Ammeter

Old September 20th 03, 06:58 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:55:03 -0700, Ed Wischmeyer
wrote:

The usual wall circuit is 15 Amperes, times 120 volts peak is 1800 watts.
746 watts in a horsepower, so how do you get 4.5 HP out of a wall socket?

It's probably more like 15 or 20 amps and that is 115 to 120 volts
RMS, not peak. Peak is 1.414, or roughly 162 volts. On single phase
they current and voltage should be close enough for all practical
purposes to call them in phase. (except during starting)

If it were DC, you'd be correct. AC has more or less sinusoidal voltage

So, using RMS at 115 volts he's still close.

and current, not necessarily peaking at the same time, and a whole bunch
of other stuff I used to know about.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Ed Wischmeyer

Old September 21st 03, 03:48 AM
L.D.

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
I've got air piped with pvc and it's been there over 25 years. Never read
anywhere it wasn't supposed to be used for that. Of course never read that
it was intended to be used for that. Guess it's kinda like an apple, I
never read it was intended to be eaten, we just do it. I've seen pvc used
for air supply pipe in many places and been there many years and never
heard anything dangerous about using it. Send me some documentation of
it failing and hurting or killing someone. Not just one incident but a
pattern. People get killed by slipping getting out of the shower but not
enough to get people upset every time they shower.
pRoger Halstead wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEOn Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:17:35 -0400, "Morgans"
brwrote:
br"Rich S." wrote in message
bra /a...
br "Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
br a href="news:FmC9b.365132$Oz4.142857@rwcrnsc54"news :FmC9b.365132$Oz4.142857@rwcrnsc54/a...
br I am still working on home remodel so it will be some time before
the
br airplane gets started. I am pretty darn convinced that I am going
to do
bran
br all wood and fabric airplane. More than likely, the Fisher Tiger
Moth.
br
br Anyway, I have come to the point in my home remodel that I am
going to
br need
br an air compressor. But instead of just getting one that will do
the job
br here, what might I need one for when it is airplane time?
br
br What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?
br
br Any name brand preference?
br
br Whichever model you choose, be SURE to listen to it run before you
plunk
br down your money. Some of the new compressors are loud enough to
shred your
br neighbor's panties.
br
br Rich S.
br
brPart of the things to consider is if you will use a lot of air tools,
or go
brelectric.  For a wood airplane, I could see a bit of sanding,
and spraying
brfinish.  A small 30 gal 3 HP compressor would not keep up with
a air sander,
bror spray gun very well.  I like air tools cause they are usually
cheaper,
brlighter, and don't get hot under heavy usage.
br
brIf you can swing it, get a big upright 5 HP , NOT oilless unit, and
put it
broutside if you can.  It saves the ears and the space in the shop.
All it
brneeds is a small lean-to roof.
pI have one of the big 80 gallon units set at 175 psi tank pressure.
brget very little tank condensation, but it is going outside into a
brsmall shed/leanto.  If you are doing some fine work and that sucker
brkicks on you will have to go hunting to find where the work landed.
brIt's not terribly noisy, but enough that when it comes on unexpectedly
brit will startle you.
pHowever, if I keep it outside I need to figure out how to get the
brcondensation out without if freezing in the tank.
pOTOH it'd be wayyy to big for home construction. Yet when doing metal
brwork such as grinding and cutting with the pneumatic tools it kicks
on
brquite often.  I have a smaller one like the ones used on construction
brsites for nailers and other portable pneumatic tools that works fine
brfor that.  It's just a bit heavy for hauling around, but still
not
brbad.
pRoger Halstead (K8RI EN73 & ARRL Life Member)
brwww.rogerhalstead.com
brN833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)/blockquote
/html

Old September 21st 03, 04:58 AM
Rich S.

PVC makes great potato guns. Note the one in BWB's grasp at
http://www.jouster.0catch.com/jean-02/p2190041.jpg.

Rich s.
Old September 21st 03, 06:10 PM
dann mann

We have PVC plumbing 140 psi all over our shop in San Diego. It
occasionally blows out at a joint and it really hurts people's ears. I
don't recommend it but you might get away with it.

Old September 21st 03, 10:39 PM
Fitzair4

We have PVC in our full time shop for 23 years. Never a problem. Just clean
and seal all the joints right. Have 120 psi.

Larry