2013 Club/Sports Nationals - Congratulations Daniel Sazhin

Old May 13th 13, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default 2013 Club/Sports Nationals - Congratulations Daniel Sazhin

Report from Mifflin:

Today 19 year old Daniel Sazhin flew the highest handicapped speed of either class at Mifflin in a 1-26, on what just about everyone agreed was one of the roughest and trickiest ridge days they have every flown. His actual distance was 226 miles. I was flying with KS along with SM and HW on Tussey, where we saw Daniel several times on the flight, going about the speed of hell (our passing speed was much less than I would have expected), and all remarked "wow, how the hell is he doing that!?!" (Sorry to Daniel's mother on mother's day, but hell is the appropriate word here all around!)

HW reported Daniel said on the grid "this is my day." Now thats confidence! As XX said to me several times in a recent 5 hour interview, "you have to believe you're going to win." Apparently Daniel did, and did!

I understand Daniel is a protege of Ron Schwartz, a great pilot and man in his own right. Thanks Ron. And thanks to Hank Nixon, who as always looks after junior pilots with his sage advice. It appears Daniel is one to watch!

Meanwhile, I am back at the hotel attempting to recover from taking 4G shots every three minutes for 4.5 hours, attempting to catch items that repeatedly flew around the cockpit, no matter how hard I tried to button everything down. I can only imagine what the g-loads felt like in a much lighter 1-26...

2C

Old May 13th 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Bravo Daniel! I'm looking forward to following the rest of this contest.
Old May 13th 13, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Incredible Daniel! You kick our asses in Condor and now its beginning to happen in the real deal! Great job!!!
Old May 14th 13, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uh oh, minor disaster in the making...

I've been watching the SSA tracker today in between doing "productive" stuff,
and it's apparent that one pilot is flying the WRONG TASK! Not Daniel in any
case; he's not on the tracker.
Old May 17th 13, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Daniel won the day again today
Old May 17th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:38:18 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
Daniel won the day again today

I had the opportunity to spend half an hour talking to Daniel Tuesday before the pilots meeting. This is one guy that knows his stuff!

Talked to a few well known "mentors" of Juniors and we are going to help him however we can.

2C
Old May 17th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:16:51 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Uh oh, minor disaster in the making...

I've been watching the SSA tracker today in between doing "productive" stuff,

and it's apparent that one pilot is flying the WRONG TASK! Not Daniel in any

case; he's not on the tracker.

Hummm... history repeating itself? This time TWO pilots seem to be flying
the task for the other class!

Congratulations to Sarah Kelly-Arnold at USA Sports Class Nationals Tim Taylor Soaring 4 May 13th 11 01:35 PM
Sports Class Nationals John Godfrey (QT)[_2_] Soaring 0 June 25th 10 02:56 PM
Sports Nationals RRK Soaring 2 July 12th 08 01:39 AM
2007 Sports Class Nationals 12-21 June at Caesar Creek Soaring Club near Waynesville Ohio 2007 Sports Class Nationals Soaring 1 November 28th 06 01:02 PM
Location of 2006 US 18m nationals and Sports Class Nationals and 15m ? John Bojack Soaring 2 July 18th 05 02:45 PM