A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Do you own an IMI Power Rigger?

Old May 27th 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Do you own an IMI Power Rigger?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 8:30:14 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 7:12:20 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 6:47:45 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 3:35:13 AM UTC-7, William Kautter wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of an IMI Power Rigger. If you own one I would very much appreciate information about your experience with it.

Bill

Wings & Wheels has a video that shows how it works. I have one and it works great except for ONE thing: if you leave it on, or you don't use it over the winter, the battery will die and you are dead in the water, most likely at the time you REALLY want to use it. You fix this by:
1. Buying a 2nd battery.
2. Buying a mating battery connector so you can power it from another battery (someone posted a link where you can buy the connector).
It's rated to lift something like 250 lbs (IF the battery is good and charged). I had no problem with my ASH31Mi inner wing panels. The quality of construction is absolutely excellent (CNC machined parts, for example). The tires are solid rubber, so no flat tires at the start of the season (been there, done that). Being able to tweak the wing position remotely while searching for the exact alignment position is a major plus. I need to come up with a method of preventing the first wing from being pushed out by the second wing, but this is no fault of the rigger.

My only complaint is it is a bit on the pricey side, but I think you get what you pay for.

Tom

"" if you leave it on, or you don't use it over the winter, the battery will die and you are dead in the water""
These are NiCad batteries. Playing with model airplanes a long while ago, the rule was to always charge the batteries before and after and also cycle them to prevent a memory built up. Although I don't have a battery cycler any longer the next best thing is to run them down to "almost" all the way time to time and charge them back up. I kind of whish they offered these units with the newer lithium ion stuff through...

No, they aren't NICADs - the IMI uses a 2.9 AHr SLA battery which self-discharge over a number of months.

Tom

Easy enough to replace with an LFP. I did that on my Cobra electric. You can leave the LFP half flat without affecting life expectancy, and the self discharge rate is low.
Old May 29th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

@Tom/2G
"I need to come up with a method of preventing the first wing from being pushed out by the second wing..."
Try taping the first wing after you insert it.
Doug
W24
Old May 29th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 5:56:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
@Tom/2G
"I need to come up with a method of preventing the first wing from being pushed out by the second wing..."
Doug
W24

Yeah, that was my first thought. I will try it next time I rig (I have the glider tied down with covers on and only rig 2-3 times a year).

Tom
Old May 29th 20, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On SH left wing goes in first, pin goes half way in, then I stick a piece of wood between the end of the pin handle and cockpit.
Old May 29th 20, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 7:29:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:

On SH left wing goes in first, pin goes half way in, then I stick a piece of wood between the end of the pin handle and cockpit.

That's the way the Phoebus rigs as well. Left wing in first, pin goes in through one fork of the spar, insert right wing, push pin all the way through both spars.
Old May 29th 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Same thing on my former LAK-17a.Â* Taping the first wing keeps it in
place as the second wing is shoved home.

On 5/28/2020 6:56 PM, wrote:
@Tom/2G
Doug
W24

--
Dan, 5J