Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Old June 1st 20, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

It's actually more than half wingspan.
Old June 1st 20, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's actually more than half wingspan.

If you try to land between the poles, that distance will become your NEW wingspan.

Old June 1st 20, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 12:47:41 PM UTC-7, Charles Ethridge wrote:
Hi all.

I've done thousands of landings in all kinds of airplanes at tower-controlled airports (now called Class B, C and D), but I've never seen a glider land at one.

Does ATC frown upon this (unless one declares an emergency in which case you have a new problem) or to they take this in stride and accommodate us gliders as an unusual but accepted part of their workday?

Faced with the choice of this or a field, what would insurance say if I broke the glider landing in the field? Might insurance deny my claim since there was a perfectly good tower-controlled airport within gliding distance?

If this is an accepted practice at tower-controlled fields, how do you get the glider off the taxiway? Do they have an FBO come out and tow you off?

Ben

I just had this happen.

Me: "Tower, Glider Nxxxx"
Twr:"Glider Nxxxx, go ahead"
Me: "Glider Nxxxx, 7 miles SW of the field at x,xxx feet looking for lift. If I can't find any, I plan on landing there."
Twr: they'll give you the weather say runway requested.
Me: "Hopefully none, but will keep you posted and monitor tower frequency."
Twr: "Roger. Keep us posted."

About 10 minutes later...

Me: "Tower, glider Nxxxx is climbing out of x,xxx in good lift. Will be departing the area to wherever. Thanks for your help."
Twr: "Glider Nxxxxx, frequency change approved, have a nice flight."

It's as simple as that.

As for landing out, I landed out at an uncontrolled airport. I stopped right by a taxiway, got out of my glider and pushed it past the hold short line, turned it around and called for the aero retrieve. Again, nonevent. Takes a little coordination if there's traffic to get you onto the runway, hook up and go, but it's really a non-event.
Old June 1st 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 5:09:12 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 3:47:41 PM UTC-4, Charles Ethridge wrote:
Hi all.

I've done thousands of landings in all kinds of airplanes at tower-controlled airports (now called Class B, C and D), but I've never seen a glider land at one.

Does ATC frown upon this (unless one declares an emergency in which case you have a new problem) or to they take this in stride and accommodate us gliders as an unusual but accepted part of their workday?

Faced with the choice of this or a field, what would insurance say if I broke the glider landing in the field? Might insurance deny my claim since there was a perfectly good tower-controlled airport within gliding distance?

If this is an accepted practice at tower-controlled fields, how do you get the glider off the taxiway? Do they have an FBO come out and tow you off?

Ben

Worth noting thing have changed in 2020:

The FAA requires ADS-B Out capability in the continental United States, in the ADS-B rule airspace designated by FAR 91.225:

Class A, B, and C airspace;
Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast.

Gliders are exempt from ADS-B requirements.
Old June 1st 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Come on, guys! Land in the airport auto parking lot? You got to be kidding? They expect you to land on the runways and taxiways or maybe even on the ramp. If you land in the auto parking lot it will surely be reported as an aircraft accident with all that that implies, crash crew, security, etc.
I remember a guy that got low near George AFB, in the Mohave Desert. He figured that landing on the runway or ramp would cause a big disruption, so he landed on a road instead. Problem was, it was the road to the Bomb Dump! He was met by Security Police and they figured they had a apprehended a saboteur!
Land where your are expected to land, at least you’ll be greeted by fellow aviators!
JJ
Old June 1st 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A line of thunderstorms prevented a return to Moriarty a few years ago so I elected to land at Santa Fe (Class D). The tower cleared me on to RWY 20. On rollout, the Tower inquired whether I would need help to clear the runway. Simultaneously, I realized I had forgotten to dump my water ballast. I was familiar with the taxiways, having done an airshow with Bob Carlton some time before, so I replied that I would take Taxiway F to the ramp. Had plenty of energy, so I made the ramp and stopped a couple hundred feet from the Tower. As I was getting out of the cockpit, I realized I had a perfect opportunity.

I waved at the guys in the Tower, and they waved back. Then I turned around, pretended to fiddle with my zipper and stood there acting like I was just peeing on the ramp. Opening the dump valves, I could only imagine their outrage turning to consternation as 30 gallons made a quite impressive puddle on the concrete.

A few minutes later, two laughing Tower personnel came out to help me push the glider to a parking spot and tie it down. They thought the situation was hilarious.

The next year, I was overflying SAF at 16,000 and I gave the Tower a courtesy call on the radio. They acknowledged, and a few minutes later transmitted, "628 Charlie Alpha, did you land here last year?" I replied in the affirmative, and they said, "We still talk about that."

Old June 1st 20, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 9:50:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:
If you land in the auto parking lot it will surely be reported as an aircraft accident with all that that implies, crash crew, security, etc.

Part of the plan would be to get a landing clearance from ATC for the long term parking lot.
Old June 1st 20, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:47:52 AM UTC-7, Rob wrote:
[...]

It was my understanding that gliders are exempt from SOME ADS-B requirements. They are not exempt from the Class C airspace requirement.
Old June 1st 20, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:09:12 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
[...]

In regards to class E airspace:

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface
(e) The requirements of paragraph (b) of this section do not apply to any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. These aircraft may conduct operations without ADS-B Out in the airspace specified in paragraphs (d)(2) and (d)(4) of this section. Operations authorized by this section must be conducted—

(1) Outside any Class B or Class C airspace area; and

(2) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport, or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower.

This is the part that may exclude gliders.

Sean Franke
Old June 2nd 20, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 9:40:38 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
[...]

I had this happen a couple of years ago: I was getting low, so headed to the small, uncontrolled, single-runway airport that we often land at when we can't make it back to our gliderport from the mountains. Saw that another glider has landed there already and was parked near the South end of the runway. There isn't a lot of room there to the side of the runway, so it was jutting into the runway a bit.

Then on the airport frequency I heard a powered plane, a Grumman Cheetah IIRC, announce they're in the pattern to land to the North. So I tell them on the radio to watch out for the glider parked on the South end of the runway.

Now the (light) wind was from the South, and it's a bit downhill to the North, and Cheetahs are fast but don't slow down well. So they approach too hot and go around. Meanwhile I am scratching at about 1200 AGL watching the show. They make a big pattern and several minutes later return for another try. Same result. And I am slowly getting lower.

On the third try they manage to stop at the North end of the runway, after a long ground roll. By then I'm at 800 AGL. So I say on the radio: Grumman xxxx, glider yyyyy will be landing to the South over your head, please stay where you are. So they do, and I do, landing long and joining the other glider pilot at the South end, waiting for aero-retrieve.

Another day at the airport...