Want to build a REAL engine?

Old January 17th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Want to build a REAL engine?

I've been kicking this idea around with some mechanical engineers for
a couple of years.

Motorcycle in-line fours are state of the art high performance engines
unencumbered by smog controls. They get more than 100HP per liter
with some at 140 HP/liter. Of course, they rev like a dentist's
drill.

More importantly, the cylinder/head assembly just bolts to the
crankcase. Now, think of 7 or 9 of these in-line water cooled 4-cyl
blocks arranged radially around a common crankcase.

To make it work, you have to make the case, crank and new master/
articulating connecting rods. You'd also need a gear case to drive
the cam chains. Finally, you'd need some serious gear reduction
(~7:1) planetary gear set in the nose case. I'd also use an aircraft-
type fuel injection system instead of carbs.

If it worked, in the case of 9 cylinder blocks, you'd have a 36
cylinder, 500 pound, 30" diameter, 1000HP+ liquid cooled radial
reminiscent of a half scale Lycoming XR7755.

Now build a slick little carbon composite airplane around the monster
and take it to Reno. I'll bet the sound alone would wow the crowds.
Old January 17th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel[_2_]

bildan wrote:
[...]

Already been done.
http://www.bigbikeriders.com/48cyl.htm

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.
Old January 17th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Jan 17, 10:05*am, John Kimmel wrote:
bildan wrote:
[...]

Actually, I think I made a mistake on the 30" diameter. I got that by
measuring the distance from the crank center to the top of the valve
covers of a Kawasaki. That's fine for a 4-cylinder but a radial is a
different matter.

To make room for 9 blocks and the intake/exhaust manifolds that go
between them, the engine diameter would have to be larger. Maybe 42"
- 48" diameter would work.
Old January 17th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

John Kimmel wrote:
bildan wrote:
[...]

I bet that is great at straight lines, but how big is the turn radius?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 17th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On 17 Jan, 16:14, bildan wrote:
[...]

Here is a proper V8 made using 2 x suzuki hyabusa engine
blocks and heads. It is properly engineered and
gives twice the power of the original - say 350hp.
If memory serves me correctly the power is taken off of a gear at
the centre of the crank on the original and the V8 is likely the same.

http://flickr.com/photos/10983301@N06/3068124763/

If you want more maybe a turbine should be considered

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/RadicalSR8.htm
some description here with weight and power.
Says £20,000 ready to run.

Was built for car racing.

There have been a number of similar projects I understand.

google [radical v8]

Old January 17th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

On 17 Jan, 21:22, bod43 wrote:
On 17 Jan, 16:14, bildan wrote:

[...]

Looks like the centre drive take off comment was rubbish - probably

Here is another one.
http://www.h1v8.com/albums/album_ima...06/1363744.htm
The web site is quite informative.
Old January 18th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

"John Kimmel" wrote in message
bildan wrote:
[...]

The big bike reminds me of the task of putting windshield wipers on a
duck's ass. It represents a technical challenge, but the outcome is of
questionable value. Too much spare time?

Old January 18th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

bildan wrote:
[...]

OK, the bike's prove you can take motorcycle 4 cyl blocks and create a
monsterously powerful multi-bank engine with them. The Hyabusa V8 is
particularly neat. The 48 clinder seems to be 2- stroke cylinders
which is weird.

For aviation, a big, round, mean, screaming, 1000HP radial would take
the show.
Old January 18th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article
,
bildan wrote:

[...]

Take a look at this:

http://www.hartleyenterprises.citymax.com/page/page/1562069.htm

400hp from an engine weighing just 200lb.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 18th 09, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

bildan wrote:
[...]

try these....
http://www.mile16.com/Radial.html