Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Old June 25th 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:16:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I use Tophat on a Nook e-reader with B&W e-ink display.
I gladly forego color for the size and sunshine-readability of this display.
The Nook runs Android 2.x and they don't make them any more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292161463922?ul_noapp=true
Old June 26th 17, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 6:35:54 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:16:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I use Tophat on a Nook e-reader with B&W e-ink display.
I gladly forego color for the size and sunshine-readability of this display.
The Nook runs Android 2.x and they don't make them any more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292161463922?ul_noapp=true

On the topic of Android devices; it would be nice to have a commercial source for an out of the box IOIO system.
It seams that the IOIO is only available in a kit form, that is in parts... soldering, etc. required, mostly over my head at least in my case.....
Old June 26th 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On the topic of Android devices; it would be nice to have a commercial source for an out of the box IOIO system.
It seams that the IOIO is only available in a kit form, that is in parts... soldering, etc. required, mostly over my head at least in my case.....

I would like a commercial source for one as well.
Chris
Old June 26th 17, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Wells[_2_]

wrote:
I use Tophat on a Nook e-reader with B&W e-ink display.
I gladly forego color for the size and sunshine-readability of this

display.
The Nook runs Android 2.x and they don't make them any

more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292161463922?ul_noapp=true

On the topic of Android devices; it would be nice to have a

commercial
source for an out of the box IOIO system.
It seams that the IOIO is only available in a kit form, that is in

parts...
soldering, etc. required, mostly over my head at least in my case.....

Another vote for Openvario running XCSoar here. I'm using the 7"
modified texim display.

No problems with heat. Did initially have crashes but traced it to a
corrupt install on the SD card. New SD card and re-install solved it. I
expect heat could precipitate existing problems / errors.

Old June 26th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 8:53:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On the topic of Android devices; it would be nice to have a commercial source for an out of the box IOIO system.
It seams that the IOIO is only available in a kit form, that is in parts... soldering, etc. required, mostly over my head at least in my case.....

I would like a commercial source for one as well.
Chris

I am using a nifty little device called Androport from Glidertools in the Czech Republic .
I use it to supply my Nook (or any other Android device) with data from my C302 plus enough power to actually charge the Nook while in flight.
When I used the phone I notice that there is insufficient power to actually charge the battery but it does slow down the discharge rate.

Unfortunately, Glidertools seems to be no more as I would like to have had another one. I'm surprised that no one else has produced such a gizmo to fill this void.

Bob 7U
Old June 26th 17, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 5:55:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I had several dealings with Vladimir at Glidertools: all good.
Unfortunately this business venture was either not paying off for him or maybe he got busy with other things in life....
At any rate it is rather unfortunate that there is no other source ( worldwide?) for connectors, cables, IOIO devices, etc.
Cumulus sells the Goddard products but primarily for items they market, can't say I fault Paul.
Old June 26th 17, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:49:05 AM UTC-4, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 6/23/2017 3:03 PM, Chip Bearden wrote:
What color devices are pilots using for Top Hat/XCSoar? I'm running Top Hat on a Kobo Glo (large eink gray scale--great readability) and a Dell Streak 5 (smaller screen, color, acceptable readability). If the Dell were a little brighter and larger, it would be perfect.

Options seem to range from other mobile phones all the way up to the OpenVario project (at least for XCSoar). What works for you?

Chip Bearden
"JB"

Left my XCSoar dedicated Yotaphone 2 (e-ink display) at home this
weekend so ended up flying with my regular phone Samsung S8 instead,
screen was very bright and perfectly sun readable.

FWIW

Luke

Anyone know how the current Samsung generation compares to, say, the Note 4 and 5? They are reported to be quite usable in sunlight, as well.

Chip Bearden
"JB"
Old April 27th 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bump.

Still looking for the perfect solution. OK, better than a Dell Streak 5 or Kobo Glo. I just acquired a Pixel 2 XL: superb mobile phone but the display is not much, if any, better in bright sunlight.

We were discussing this the other day and P3 mentioned some newer Chinese phablets that might be suitable. Any ideas?

It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip Bearden
Old April 27th 18, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:01:45 -0700, chip.bearden wrote:

It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open
Vario platform running Android.

If you can find one and don't mind a 3.5" screen, I'd recommend the Medion
S.3747 navigation device. Its got a nice, bright transreflective screen,
so is readable with direct sun on it. The colours are a lot denser than
they were on the somewhat pastel iPAQs. It has a built-in pressure
sensor, 1600 mAh and easily accessable battery, a micro-SD slot (under
the battery so you're unlikely to lose the card),
can transfer data between a PC and the micro-SD card, and is a lot better
made than the average PNA, probably because it was intended for use by
walkers as well as drivers. I got mine in 2014 and run LK8000 on it.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Pacific War in Color, pt 9 - P 61 in color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 5th 17 01:18 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 1 April 4th 17 08:41 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39s-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 4th 17 01:31 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
Flying platforms/airgeeps David L. Burkhead Home Built 3 January 19th 05 07:33 AM