A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

refilling O2 bottles on the road.

Old June 4th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default refilling O2 bottles on the road.

So what happens if I rent a welding cylinder, weld until it's empty, remove the regulator, forget to close the valve, and just for fun it gets rained on?

Do they just refill it or dry and purge it first?

Old June 4th 18, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 9:14:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So what happens if I rent a welding cylinder, weld until it's empty, remove the regulator, forget to close the valve, and just for fun it gets rained on?

If folks who rely on that cylinder find out the back of you head might hurt :-)

I would ask your specific supplier. Many places will get more cautions with cylinders that have no pressure in them, simple purging at a minimum. if the cylinder was suspected of containing water the fill station can fully dry it and if they want wan to internally inspect it or fully test it. Remember the cylinders are fully wet internally when hydrotested... but they are dried and purged before refilling.

If you abuse a cylinder and it causes serious internal damage I hope that is found in time by the next cylinder test, in the internal or ultrasound inspection or pressure test.
Old June 4th 18, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 9:14:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:

My experience is that it varies. But I have had suppliers who insisted on a vacuum purge (and associated cost) when presented with any completely depressurized bottle. The last time I built a bottle from scratch (medical D plus aviation CGA540 valve), I purged it myself using my vacuum bagging pump, put about 100 PSI of O2 in it from the welding rig, and then took it to the refill place and got it filled, no problem.

--Bob K.
Old June 4th 18, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Thanks for the info.
Old June 4th 18, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Every welding O2 supply house I have been to exchange the cylinder, not re-fill it. It is just so much faster for a welder that needs to get back on the job. This exchange would be only for standard sizes. This may be fine for your glider but in my particular case (Schleicher) I haven't found a welding supply house yet that has the correct (exchange) size for my sleeve. Most glider operations out west can refill for you. You might try medical supply houses.
Old June 4th 18, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"You might try medical supply houses."

Medical supply houses are a BAD idea. First, they will most likely demand a prescription from a doctor for refills, as medical O2 is regulated by the FDA. It will also be much more expensive. Second, virtually all medical O2 cylinders use a "post" type (Puritan-Bennett CGA-870) fitting. Aviators Breathing Oxygen and welding oxygen cylinders use the CGA-540 fitting. (European cylinders typically use the DIN-477.)

If you have your own transfiller, you might be able to persuade a welding shop to give you a fill, but I suggest cleaning all the fittings on both cylinders and the transfiller with Formula 409 or equivalent. (No acetone, alcohol or other petroleum based solvents, for obvious reasons.)

Old June 4th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 5:58:37 AM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Every welding O2 supply house I have been to exchange the cylinder, not re-fill it. It is just so much faster for a welder that needs to get back on the job. This exchange would be only for standard sizes. This may be fine for your glider but in my particular case (Schleicher) I haven't found a welding supply house yet that has the correct (exchange) size for my sleeve.. Most glider operations out west can refill for you. You might try medical supply houses.

I was meaning a standard cylinder that you then transfill into the glider cylinder. Yes the OP may not have an easy or safe way to carry the cylinder that, but that's how some folks without other options do this. No I would not carry a cylinder around in a car.

Many gas suppliers will fill your own non-rental cylinders as long as the inspection is current and they are properly labeled. Some will hydrotesr/recertify out of date cylinders and then fill them. Anything labeled medical or aviators breathing oxygen increases chances it won't get filled as regular industrial oxygen.

The discussion above already covered why you don't say the word "medical".

Old June 4th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]
external usenet poster

Mountain High has a discussion on their FAQ page regarding different sources/types of Oxygen and confirms that it is all the same.

As others have stated, the best solution is to rent a bottle locally and return it when you leave. May be prudent to call ahead and reserve one. Having two aircraft bottles works well. Swap out full for empty and refill at your leisure.

Also concur that large high pressure oxidizer bottles and transfill systems need to be treated with much respect.
Old June 4th 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 11:34:31 AM UTC-5, kimobear wrote:
When traveling with a motor glider out west ( USA), what do people do, when trying to get their O2 bottles refilled?
I noticed in the notes on airport services available at smaller airport, that most have no O2 refilling services available.
Carrying a full size tank in car to fill from is not an option.

Salutem,
Kimobear
flatlander who likes O2

Every year I receive a checkup with my local doctor. During the visit he provides me with the Basic Med document for powered flight and a prescription for medical O2. I get three E size cylinders filled each spring and then transfer the O2 into my tank that is mounted into the tail boom of the sailplane. For my two weeks of flying out west each year I have enough to cover my needs.