Feeding Two Devices from PowerFLARM

Old June 13th 18, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Feeding Two Devices from PowerFLARM

Yeah, I know this has been discussed. I've researched it. But I can't find this specific question answered.

I want to connect my PowerFLARM Portable to my LX FLARMView AND to my Kobo running TopHat. I don't think I need or can use a K6 Mux box: I'm not combining multiple inputs into a common output. It's the reverse: I want to use a single input to drive two outboard devices. I know there are other devices I can buy but I'm hoping it's really simple:

1. My PowerFLARM Portable has only one data port--an RJ45--vs. the two ports on the core--an RJ45 plus a DSub-9.
2. My FLARMView (rectangular model) has only one port--an RJ11--vs. the two such ports on the FLARMView 57 (round model)
3. I'm using an RJ45 cable to provide 12v to the PowerFLARM although I can also provide power via a separate dedicated power connector. I've also wired that cable to provide 5v to the Kobo and deliver the RX/TX wires to it from the PowerFLARM for GPS and FLARM target data.
4. Power and GPS/target data for the FLARMView are via a cable with an RJ45 connector on the PowerFLARM end and an RJ11 on the FLARMView end.
5. AFAIK, I'm not transmitting anything to the PowerFLARM from the Kobo/TopHat: i.e., no flight declarations, no MacCready settings. The same thing is true, I think, for the FLARMView: no downloads. To the best of my knowledge, all data moves in one direction only: from the PowerFLARM to the FLARMView and to the Kobo/TopHat (for GPS location and targets). Each of these set ups works fine: i.e., PowerFLARM connected to the Kobo/Top Hat and PowerFLARM connected to the FLARMView. But I have to pick one or the other now. I'd like to drive both devices at the same time.

So under this simplified case, can I simply connect the RJ45 ends of cables from the FLARMView and the Kobo into a dual-port adaptor and plug that into the back of the PowerFLARM, while providing power to the PowerFLARM via the separate connection?

Why, you ask? Well, I'm seeing some but not all of the FLARM target info displayed in Top Hat--the problem I posted about last year. So until I figure out a way to solve that problem, I'd like to have the small FLARMView display up at the same time as Top Hat is running on the Kobo.

Chip Bearden
Old June 13th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 11:55:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Are you SURE that the FLARMview does not connect a data-out wire to the data-in wire of the FLARM unit? If it uses a standard bi-directional serial communications chip, there may be a voltage on that wire - even if no data is being sent. Same with the Kobo. You can modify your cable so as to ensure the data-out wire from the Kobo is not connected at all, that would eliminate the possibility of the Kobo wrestling with the FLARMview over the voltage level in that wire, possibly damaging the serial chips in either unit.

Other than that, the only issue is how much of a load both devices' data-in ports in parallel pose to the data-out wire of the FLARM, that will probably work fine even if it's officially verboten.

Old June 13th 18, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 9:29:14 AM UTC-7, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

I found two devices connected to PF resulted in me having to re-configure PF if I turned the instruments on for off in a different order. Richard of craggy aero, fixed this for me by just unplugging one of the devices that was getting PF data. This might be a case of less is more. I display the PF data on my main flight computer now and not on any other peripherals.
Old June 13th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have done pretty much what you're asking in my Stemme and I've posted
it before.Â* Here's what I did:

I powered my PowerFlarm Portable via the round connector which is
energized with the Master Switch in the glider and turned on by pushing
the button on the PF unit.

I made my own cables to length as follows:Â* An RJ-45 to RJ-45 from the
PF Portable to a 1 to 2 RJ-45 splitter
https://www.amazon.com/SinLoon-Splitter-Interface-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B017SND70G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528909011&sr=8-3&keywords=rj-45+splitter
purchased from Amazon.Â* I also purchased the tools and connectors from
Amazon.Â* They were inexpensive.Â* Pay close attention to the cable
diagrams for the various devices as, IIRC, my cables are not standard
RJ-45, but custom wired for the application.

I made a similar cable to connect my ClearNav variometer to the ClearNav
computer/display, also via another RJ-45 splitter.

So far, the PF Portable and the ClearNav vario each communicate directly
to the ClearNav computer.

What about the spare outputs from the cable splitters?Â* I sent each of
those to a K6-BT device (again with custom cables, pay attention to
inputs, outputs and grounds) which I paired to two input channels of a
Dell Streak 5 running XCSoar which is mounted on the right side of the
cockpit for my wife.Â* I set up the Streak as input only so that no
commands could be sent from it.

Everything works perfectly.Â* Both the ClearNav computer/display and the
Streak/XCSoar receive GPS, variometer data, and PowerFlarm targets
simultaneously.

I hope that helps. ;-)

--
Dan, 5J

Old June 13th 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Maybe I am missing something here, but the PowerFLARM has separate serial ports on the DB-9 and RJ-45 connectors. That is designed for exactly what you are doing. No splitter, mux etc. required... and it is much better to avoid all that if possible. You do need to configure those ports correctly in the FLARM config file.
Old June 13th 18, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Doh, sorry. Yes I was missing that it was a PowerFLARM *portable*. If you are making other changesit might make sense to swap out the Portable for a Core and gets you two ports. Otherwise good advice elsewhere in this thread.
Old June 13th 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

All of our club K-21 use a single PowerFlarm to drive both an original
Flarm LCD display (rear seat) and a LXNav FlarmLED display (front
seat). We use a PowerFLARM Y-Adapter, RJ45 to feed the front display.
Only one port is bi-directional (to the rear seat), but you say this
is not a concern for your application.

Bob