Polisher/buffer selection

Old November 23rd 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Polisher/buffer selection

Kirk, I'm also trying to solve the problem of the layer of fossilized
ballast that's firmly stuck to much of my fuselage and underwings. It
laughs at the Wx and I want to declare war.

~tuno

Old November 23rd 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tuno, I just cringe at using power tools on a glider unless it's
absolutely necessary. But I'll defer to the experts....

However, no powertools are allowed near 66 - only handjobs!

Kirk

Old November 23rd 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I used the 3M Hookit SBS pad system (compounding and polishing) with
Finesse-It II ... and the DeWalt DW849.

I think the brand of polisher is less important. Having a 0 -
1000/3000 RPM speed cntrol in the trigger helps tremendously, however.
You can apply and spread the Finesse-it at low speed with minimal
splatter, and increase RPMs as required to get the optimal polishing
effect.

http://sailplane-racing.org/general.htm

KK

Old November 23rd 05, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 13:42 23 November 2005, Ken Kochanski Kk wrote:

I used the 3M Hookit SBS pad system (compounding and
polishing) with
Finesse-It II ... and the DeWalt DW849.

I think the brand of polisher is less important. Having
a 0 -
1000/3000 RPM speed cntrol in the trigger helps tremendously,
however.
You can apply and spread the Finesse-it at low speed
with minimal
splatter, and increase RPMs as required to get the
optimal polishing
effect.

http://sailplane-racing.org/general.htm

KK

The next usual winter question is what is the best
wax. Where is JJ when we need him??

Old November 23rd 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use a DeWalt 849 with an edge buffer (see Eastern Sailplane website
for that) 4 disks, Finesse it/ Hard wax and WX Block for final... but
remember... polishing with such gear yields amazing results... but can
be extremely dangerous for yourself and mostly for your glider...
Regards
Enrique
wrote:
How often should the oxydation be polished off then, Kirk?

My crew will like the idea of polishing by hand. She likes to help, and
save money at the same time!

~tuno

Old November 23rd 05, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The long term answer to that problem may be not to use use the airport
water, I never do.

Andy

Old November 24th 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree. For my LS8-18 I only use distilled water.
No mineral deposits, the seals stay absolutely clean
and soft. You may laugh but it costs less than the
fuel it takes to launch with a motor glider. I just
buy 5 gallon jugs from the local Silver Springs water
guy at my home. Easy to transport. Nice easy handling
jugs. And they deliver! For wave flying I add some
ethanol, 1-5% by volume. That prevents freezing and
when you land you can make cocktails with the left
overs. 95% ethanol is available from your pharmacy.
White Lightning is the medical terminology. For military
types it is Class 6 ethanol.