Elite simulation software

Old September 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
Marco Rispoli

Default Elite simulation software

I have FS2004 but for some reason I think the physics are a bit off... I
don't know if FS2004 cuts it as far as realism goes.

so I started looking around for other simulators and I found the Elite
Simulation software.

Anyone uses the Elite ?

How realistic is it and how useful could it be as and extra help in training
for a private pilot license (C172 specifically)?

Thanks!

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA
You can read my flight training diary at

Old September 23rd 03, 02:34 AM
Richard Moore

It's somewhat expensive, but it looks like good quality. They have a demo
that you can download for free and try it yourself.

Old September 23rd 03, 09:08 AM
Quilljar

I honestly do not think that any sim however accurate, will help with
initial private pilot training. The whole experience is about the feel in
the air, the ability to look all around you and to feel terrified when you
accidentally go in to cloud or hit an expected bit of turbulence. I am
certain that too much simming will extend your training time not shorten it.
When you have qualified, the sim can be a great help in practising
instrument flying and for relaxing. If you are NEVER going to fly for real
then the sim is marvellous.

---

Old September 28th 03, 04:05 AM
Randy L.

Marco,
The flight school that I went to used the Elite system software in there
simulator. I used it a couple of times with my flight instructor to learn
basic VOR navigation. Its a good system for practicing things like VOR
navigation and IFR procedures, but it doesn't really help in teaching a
student 'stick and rudder' flying. I think that would take a full-motion
simulator costing hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars. My
personal opinion is that it is a software and hardware package that is too
expensive for the average flight simmer, and too expensive for the average
student pilot. About the only ones that can afford the full Elite package
would be a flight school with fairly deep pockets.

Randy L.

--
"Americans are despised for reasons that
have less to do with who we are and

Old September 28th 03, 08:27 AM
tscottme

I've had Elite for years and consider it the best money I've spent in
aviation. But its value is in keeping instrument flying skills sharp or
in teaching those skills. Its value for a primary flight student is
doubtful. As much as it pains me to say it, MSFS is good enough to teach
you the radio navigation necessary for private pilots. They way I would
suggest you experiment with radio navigation is to put the flight sim
aircraft on autopilot and then adjust the heading bug to practice
"bracketing", tracking (with and without wind), and orientation and
intercepts of bearings and radials. One bad habit many student pilots
have is excessive concentration on the instrument panel. Private pilot
training is about developing the hand-eye coordination necessary for
visual flying. Having said that, I find instrument flying much more
satisfying than "boring holes in the sky".

The flight model of Elite is eerily accurate to the Cessna 172s I've
flown. Elite seems to be about 100 RPM more powerful than most of the
rental aircraft I've flown, but this is well within the variation
between rental aircraft. In all the years I've use Elite, I'm not sure
the program has "crashed", although I certainly have crashed the
"airplane" while doing extreme maneuvers such as inverted ILS
approaches. I never find myself making excuses for Elite. Something
that was common when I was flying the game type sims.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 2nd 03, 07:46 PM
Marty Ross

Marco,

I regularly use MSFS and ELITE. I prefer MSFS for "cruising around",
getting to "know" an area I might be flying to IRL, but for practicing IFR
approaches, I use ELITE.

I agree with others on this thread that the ELITE flight model seems to be
more realistic (at least, it's much more smooth and doesn't OVERREACT to
control input as does my MSFS). That just makes any attempt at "precision"
flying much more pleasant (and realistic, since real SE airplanes aren't as
squirrely and hard to control as the MSFS models).

The visuals (e.g., "as real as it gets") in MSFS are FAR superior though,
and I sometimes like to cycle the views to get an added perspective that I
can't get in real life (e.g., the spot plane) or in ELITE.

I grabbed the ELITE product when they smartly lowered the price for
"students" for just the Cessna C-172 models (I think I paid $200). I figure
I've recovered that money back after about 8 hours of use, since my FBO
charges $25/hr. for the same sim (their controllers are better though and
they're certified PCATD which I'm not, but that's OK with me...)

Happy Landings!