Precision Airmotive LLC

Old November 3rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Default Precision Airmotive LLC

Peter Nielson
Product Support Mgr.
Precision Airmotive LLC
14800 40th Ave NE
Marysville, WA 98271

360-651-8282

Subject: Letter to Industry

Here is the text of a letter we are sending out to the industry today.

Precision Airmotive LLC has discontinued sales of all float
carburetors and component parts as of November 1, 2007. This
unfortunate situation is a result of our inability to obtain products
liability insurance for the product line. Precision Airmotive LLC and
its 43 employees currently manufacture and support the float
carburetors used in nearly all carbureted general aviation aircraft
flying today. Precision has been the manufacturer of these
carburetors since 1990. These FAA-approved carburetors were designed
as early as the 1930's and continue to fly over a million flight hours
a year. After decades of service, the reliability of these
carburetors speaks for itself.

Nonetheless, Precision has seen its liability insurance premiums rise
dramatically, to the point that the premium now exceeds the total
sales dollars for this entire product line. In the past, we have
absorbed that cost, with the hope that the aviation industry as a
whole would be able to help address this issue faced by Precision
Airmotive, as well as many other small aviation companies. Our
efforts have been unsuccessful.

This year, despite the decades of reliable service and despite the
design approval by the FAA, Precision Airmotive has been unable to
obtain products liability insurance for the carburetor product line.
While we firmly believe that the product is safe, as does the FAA, and
well supported by dedicated people both at Precision and at our
independent product support centers, unfortunately the litigation
costs for defending the carburetor in court are unsustainable for a
small business such as Precision.

Therefore, as of November 1, 2007, Precision Airmotive LLC has been
left with no choice but to cease production and support of its float
carburetor product line.

We are working with the engine manufacturers and others in the
industry in an attempt to minimize the impact on general aviation and
to provide future support for this product line. There is a
substantial quantity of parts and carburetors stocked at our
distributors which should be sufficient to support the industry for a
short time.
Old November 3rd 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk[_2_]

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
Peter Nielson
Product Support Mgr.
Precision Airmotive LLC
14800 40th Ave NE
Marysville, WA 98271

360-651-8282

Here is the text of a letter we are sending out to the industry today.

Precision Airmotive LLC has discontinued sales of all float
carburetors and component parts as of November 1, 2007. This
unfortunate situation is a result of our inability to obtain products
liability insurance for the product line.

This is really sad news and scary to say the least. If it becomes a trend
then there will be ever less companies able to produce aircraft parts. Loss
of product, loss of jobs. Maybe they should consider outsourcing their
production to a less litigious country? That would help reducing the
insurance premium.

Rob

Old November 3rd 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

move the company to australia.
Stealth Pilot

Old November 3rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alex G.[_3_]

"Rob Turk" wrote in message news:472c27f2$0$3519

Maybe they should consider outsourcing their
production to a less litigious country? That would help reducing the
insurance premium.

Maybe instead of giving more jobs to China (with their glowing record of
producing crap) you show consider BECOMING a less litigious country. When a
pilot digs a divot with his ass, the wifes lawyers will sue everyone who has
a nickel involved in that aircraft, provided thay have insurance or money.
If precision has no insurance or ready cash, no lawyer will serve them.

Old November 3rd 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk[_2_]

"Alex G." wrote in message

"Rob Turk" wrote in message

Maybe they should consider outsourcing their
production to a less litigious country? That would help reducing the
insurance premium.

Maybe instead of giving more jobs to China (with their glowing record of
producing crap) you show consider BECOMING a less litigious country. When
a pilot digs a divot with his ass, the wifes lawyers will sue everyone who
has a nickel involved in that aircraft, provided thay have insurance or
money. If precision has no insurance or ready cash, no lawyer will serve
them.

I *am* in a less litigious country, I was merely trying to give advice.
Maybe they can move production to *my* country, I'm sure we have the
craftsmen to produce equally fine products 8-)

Rob

The Netherlands (EHLE)

Old November 3rd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jerry Wass" wrote

Maybe this will be the push that the gubermint needs to pass some kind of
protection for individual parts makers, similar to what was done for small
aircraft manufacturers some years back.

Somewhere, somehow, I'm hopeful that the gubermint will do something to make
it less attractive to let everyone going sue-happy.

Crazy, yes. I still hope it happens, though. It NEEDS to happen, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 3rd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jerry Wass" wrote

Maybe this will be the push that the gubermint needs to pass some kind of
protection for individual parts makers, similar to what was done for small
aircraft manufacturers some years back.

Somewhere, somehow, I'm hopeful that the gubermint will do something to
make it less attractive to let everyone going sue-happy.

Crazy, yes. I still hope it happens, though. It NEEDS to happen, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

I suspect that the "protection" for the aircraft manufacturers is the reason
that the insurance for suppliers has gone up - they are next in line in the
food chain.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 3rd 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

I suspect that the "protection" for the aircraft manufacturers is the
reason that the insurance for suppliers has gone up - they are next in
line in the food chain.

Prolly right, with that.

Net, they need to extend the protection to everything on the airplane.

Even better, take this opportunity to make some rulings to stop the madness
of meaningless law suits, all across the legal system.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 4th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Andy Asberry[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 08:51:02 +0100, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

[...]

Under US law, if a manufacturer has no place of business in the US,
the importer is considered the manufacturer.

Google for Foreign Tire Sales in New Jersey.

--Andy Asberry--