Best adhesive remover/cleaner for wing tape

Old October 14th 14, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Best adhesive remover/cleaner for wing tape

On Monday, October 13, 2014 2:04:23 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
i think i usually just wipe with some acetone or whatever highly toxic quickly evaporating solvent i have handy.

Molecular acid?
Old October 14th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:58:07 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Is there a better choice

for removing wing tape adhesive in particular, and various other

adhesives in general?

Mineral spirits. Or one of the citrus based products. No need for strong solvents here.

T8

Old October 14th 14, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_13_]

sounds like lots of things work. I use 'oops' from
homaxproducts.com. that worked like magic for removing the glue
residue from adhesive foam around the canopy.

Old October 14th 14, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The sawzall, grinder and acid all sound like fun, but how about...
Use better tape.
Jim
Old October 14th 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So....what IS better tape?
Bowlus tape leaves residue.
The high end 3M electrical tape leaves residue.
The cheap Home Depot electrical tape leaves residue.
The REALLY EXPENSIVE German cloth tape leaves residue.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old October 14th 14, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:02:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
So....what IS better tape?

Bowlus tape leaves residue.

The high end 3M electrical tape leaves residue.

The cheap Home Depot electrical tape leaves residue.

The REALLY EXPENSIVE German cloth tape leaves residue.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Just say no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No tape!! no goo gone!! just think how much money you can save.

Richard
Old October 15th 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Keep the taped parts of the glider nicely waxed and anything removes the residue, including more wax. I use WX Block and touch up the taped areas after removing tape using the #2, which removes the residue easily. I use Goof Off and 3M 08984 on newly purchased ships that weren't cleaned, and also when replacing aileron seals.
Old October 15th 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It looked nice, but I was quite disappointed with the 2" "Hello Kitty" duct tape.
Guy, it all leaves some residue. The residue from Bowlus comes off if you use the sticky side of the tape you just removed to dab it. Same thing can be done with real gaffers tape, not duct tape.
Meow,
Jim
Old October 15th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting comment about using WX Block.
I stopped using it in part, because my electrical tape would not stick to the treated surfaces. I tried placing 3 inch tape over the parting surfaces to keep the WX Block off the areas I would tape, but the WX Block seems to creep.
Old October 16th 14, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:15:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Interesting comment about using WX Block.

I stopped using it in part, because my electrical tape would not stick to the treated surfaces. I tried placing 3 inch tape over the parting surfaces to keep the WX Block off the areas I would tape, but the WX Block seems to creep.

I use electrical tape also about half the time if it's only going to be on for a day or two, with the WX Block.

wing tape Colin Roney Soaring 44 August 13th 20 02:15 PM
Wing Tape Craig[_2_] Soaring 0 May 5th 11 05:09 PM
Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance? ContestID67 Soaring 87 February 1st 07 04:24 PM
Mylar tape wing seals - effect on wing performance Simon Waddell Soaring 8 January 1st 04 04:46 PM
Wing cleaner Viperdoc Owning 27 July 15th 03 05:03 PM