A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Cobra trailer - - which top?

Old February 11th 15, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default New Cobra trailer - - which top?

So, if you were ordering a new Cobra trailer, would you order a fiberglass top or an aluminum top? For sake of discussion, lets exclude obvious price difference.

I've never seen an aluminum top with insulation. What type of insulation is used and is it worth the 1000 plus euros?

For those having a reasonably new Cobra trailer, in your opinion, what options are "mandatory" and what options are "losers"?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old February 11th 15, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 9:14:19 AM UTC-8, Ben wrote:
So, if you were ordering a new Cobra trailer, would you order a fiberglass top or an aluminum top? For sake of discussion, lets exclude obvious price difference.

I've never seen an aluminum top with insulation. What type of insulation is used and is it worth the 1000 plus euros?

For those having a reasonably new Cobra trailer, in your opinion, what options are "mandatory" and what options are "losers"?

Thanks for your feedback.

The aluminum top will look better far longer. Unless you bend it - then the fiberglass top is far easier to repair.

I would question whether insulating the top will actually do any good for anything, unless you are planning on heating the interior.
Old February 11th 15, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

The only one I've seen with insulation was a very large custom built Cobra that was designed to fit a Slingsby Capstan. It now holds a Morelli M-200. The insulation is at most 1/2" thick and was glued to the inside of the trailer top. I don't think I've seen insulation in any of the other Cobra's that I've pulled.
Old February 11th 15, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 10:10:00 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
The only one I've seen with insulation was a very large custom built Cobra that was designed to fit a Slingsby Capstan. It now holds a Morelli M-200.. The insulation is at most 1/2" thick and was glued to the inside of the trailer top. I don't think I've seen insulation in any of the other Cobra's that I've pulled.

Forget Cobra's factory interior lights. I found them to be very "weak" at best.
Old February 11th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

The aluminum top will look better far longer. Unless you bend it - then the fiberglass top is far easier to repair.

I would question whether insulating the top will actually do any good for anything, unless you are planning on heating the interior.

I've had the insulated AL top trailer for 12 years and agree with the above comments. I believe the insulation reduces sweating inside the trailer. I heat the trailer during the winter months with a chicken incubator (available at any farm hardware store). Incandescent light bulbs have been known to cause fires and this is a much safer alternative.
Al tops are a bit lighter. Reducing hail damage will probably favor fiberglass. Reducing annual maintenance will strongly favor AL tops. Aesthetics, IMO, favor the fiberglass top. Both are top quality products from Spindelberger.

Old February 11th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 4:08:23 PM UTC-5, Craig Reinholt wrote:

I've had the insulated AL top trailer for 12 years and agree with the above comments. I believe the insulation reduces sweating inside the trailer. I heat the trailer during the winter months with a chicken incubator (available at any farm hardware store). Incandescent light bulbs have been known to cause fires and this is a much safer alternative.
Al tops are a bit lighter. Reducing hail damage will probably favor fiberglass. Reducing annual maintenance will strongly favor AL tops. Aesthetics, IMO, favor the fiberglass top. Both are top quality products from Spindelberger.

I owned both AL and fiberglass. My next one is going to be fiberglass. Although my AL trailer looks close to new condition I fear if I ever get any damage it is for ever. I saw a fixed AL trailer with a bunch of rivets in wrong places. Fiberglass can always be painted after a couple of years (out gassing completed) and it will look great for a long time reducing the maintenance.
Old February 12th 15, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_6_]
external usenet poster

Aluminum Cobras certainly have the nasty habit of "raining" on the inside due to condensation. The more humid the climate, the worse it gets.

Is the insulation just "raw" EPS board (expanded polystyrene like Dow blue styrofoam) glued to the inside? And only the roof - - not the sidewalls?

If it is just "raw" EPS board, I would think it would dent, ding, and pick easily and look awful after usual wear and tear.
Old February 12th 15, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I've only owned glass tops (3). IMHO the work to keep it looking nice makes Alum look appealing. Glass is like waxing four cars...unless it needs rubbing out, then it's like ten cars......"Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important".
Old February 12th 15, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 4:36:10 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I've only owned glass tops (3). IMHO the work to keep it looking nice makes Alum look appealing. Glass is like waxing four cars...unless it needs rubbing out, then it's like ten cars......"Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important".

As Andrzej says, one thing that could be done is to wait a bit for the glass and gelcoat to settle down, then scuff and shoot the whole thing with PU. I think that would cut the maintenance by quite a lot for 10 years or so anyway. Add that to the cost of the trailer. Good PU finishes don't require waxing (and it will not extend their life in any case), just wash it once in awhile. Which costs more to begin with, FRP or ALU?
Old February 12th 15, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Hey Whitney

I hope the lights I installed in my (then your) Cobra trailer worked better.. Just RV fluorescent tubes, and a 30Ah or so VRLA battery in the trailer. Nowadays I would use LEDs. I was very proud of that exterior mast-head (for a yatch) halogen lamp on the rear of the trailer top... It would pretty provide enough light to derig at night. I think I used it exactly twice :-)

Darryl