New Cobra trailer - - which top?

Old February 18th 15, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Cobra trailer - - which top?

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 9:14:19 AM UTC-8, Ben wrote:
So, if you were ordering a new Cobra trailer, would you order a fiberglass top or an aluminum top? For sake of discussion, lets exclude obvious price difference.

I've never seen an aluminum top with insulation. What type of insulation is used and is it worth the 1000 plus euros?

For those having a reasonably new Cobra trailer, in your opinion, what options are "mandatory" and what options are "losers"?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm curious, what does one pay for a 15 meter Cobra Trailer delivered to a West Coast port?
Old February 18th 15, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:00:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 9:14:19 AM UTC-8, Ben wrote:
So, if you were ordering a new Cobra trailer, would you order a fiberglass top or an aluminum top? For sake of discussion, lets exclude obvious price difference.

I've never seen an aluminum top with insulation. What type of insulation is used and is it worth the 1000 plus euros?

For those having a reasonably new Cobra trailer, in your opinion, what options are "mandatory" and what options are "losers"?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm curious, what does one pay for a 15 meter Cobra Trailer delivered to a West Coast port?

Brand new?...20 ish..depending on extras etc. But that number is based on what the Euro was compared to the US Dollar 18 months ago. The Euro is about 20% cheaper now.

Old February 19th 15, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The UV issue is solved by a black factory coating (gloss paint?) on the inside of the glass top. It was available in 1998+, maybe only as an option, but both my 1998 & 1999 have it.
Old February 19th 15, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 8:55:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The UV issue is solved by a black factory coating (gloss paint?) on the inside of the glass top. It was available in 1998+, maybe only as an option, but both my 1998 & 1999 have it.

It has been a standard for a long time.
Old February 19th 15, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Last two trailers I got the fiberglass and had a local craftsman insulate the interior. I thought the fiberglass looked better and was lees likely to form condensation. I was not sorry for my choice. I have also had AL tops, but as a personal preference I prefer fiberglass.
Old February 19th 15, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:18:19 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Last two trailers I got the fiberglass and had a local craftsman insulate the interior.

What did you use for the insulation?

Kevin
Old February 19th 15, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:47:28 PM UTC+13, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:18:19 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Last two trailers I got the fiberglass and had a local craftsman insulate the interior.

What did you use for the insulation?

Styrofoam sheets are probably the only reasonable answer. If you want to make it more durable you can brush or roll or spray on a layer of epoxy resin or urethane. NOT polyester resin. And some thin glass mat if you want to be super fancy.
Old February 19th 15, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 12:33:49 AM UTC+13, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:47:28 PM UTC+13, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:18:19 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Last two trailers I got the fiberglass and had a local craftsman insulate the interior.

What did you use for the insulation?

Styrofoam sheets are probably the only reasonable answer. If you want to make it more durable you can brush or roll or spray on a layer of epoxy resin or urethane. NOT polyester resin. And some thin glass mat if you want to be super fancy.

Movie and stage show people make a lot of scenery and props out of foam, and then need a hard coating on them to protect them.

This seems to be one of the ones they use:

http://www.fxsupply.com/materials/foamcoat.html

Coverage seems to be about 150 sq ft per gal, so you might need about three gallons or $160 worth to do sides and top of a trailer. Here in Wellington, the same area of recycled polystyrene sheets will cost about twice that.
Old February 19th 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I used a closed cell soft foam. Not sure where my mechanic got it but it was ⅜ inch thick.
Old February 19th 15, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well that might protect the glider inside the trailer but it does
nothing for the fiberglass trailer top.

--
Dan Marotta