A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Old January 30th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_10_]
external usenet poster

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Thanks for all the input! I'm really glad to hear my vario should still be able to function OK (not hobbled by old pressure transducers or slow CPU).

My Kobo isn't tied to the vario, but I'm going to look into doing that, as waremark mentioned. The odd vertical thing is a G meter, by the way. The dash speaker is inop, there's a speaker in back, so that space is available.. I think I'll just paint, label and maybe rearrange (thx for the suggestions, ND) the panel, and leave well enough alone... for now!
Old January 30th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 07:59:46 UTC+11, Paul wrote:
Thanks for all the input! I'm really glad to hear my vario should still be able to function OK (not hobbled by old pressure transducers or slow CPU).

My Kobo isn't tied to the vario, but I'm going to look into doing that, as waremark mentioned. The odd vertical thing is a G meter, by the way. The dash speaker is inop, there's a speaker in back, so that space is available. I think I'll just paint, label and maybe rearrange (thx for the suggestions, ND) the panel, and leave well enough alone... for now!

I changed out my lnav/gps-nav for a S100 last season. I was tired of making cables to integrate the Lnav with my XCSoar tablet and never quite getting it to work - though that doesn't impact soaring performance. I have been very happy with the S100 and the clean integration using bluetooth. The beep generator (vario) seems to work well. I am using electronic TE compensation as I found I had a TE leak which was probably impacting my Lnav performance as they are generally held in high regard yet mine never seemed quite right.

Cheers Ben
Old January 30th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:59:46 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:

My Kobo isn't tied to the vario, but I'm going to look into doing that, as waremark mentioned. The odd vertical thing is a G meter, by the way. The dash speaker is inop, there's a speaker in back, so that space is available. I think I'll just paint, label and maybe rearrange (thx for the suggestions, ND) the panel, and leave well enough alone... for now!

For your second soaring season, these guys are putting you on the right track: Clean up the existing panel and connect the Kobo to the Cambridge stuff.. There are adapters/cables to connect your GPS-NAV (the box the L-NAV and square Cambridge display connect to) to Oudie, I assume Kobo is essentially the same as Oudie.
Try to move the radio up so you can easily see what you're adjusting, less workload if you're landing out. Where the speaker is/was?
Jim
Old January 30th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I was able to interface an Android to a Cambridge 302 using a K6BT
serial to Bluetooth converter. It's one of the more expensive
converters on the market and you can certainly find something less
expensive.

When I upgraded to a ClearNav system and added a PowerFlarm, I retained
the K6BT and added another one so that my wife's Android could still
enjoy receiving all of the information via Bluetooth while my ClearNav
system worked via serial cables. We fly a two-seater. I used simple
RJ-45 splitters to implement the wiring.

To get your silver badge and beyond you'll need a calibrated and sealed
recorder. You'll probably need to send the Cambridge unit to Gary at
ClearNav or Paul at Cumulus Soaring or Rex at Williams or Richard at
Craggy or... All of us old timers got all of our badges and diamonds
with a camera and barograph (which we had to send in for
calibration/sealing). The logger is much easier to get everything in
order. You'll still need to do the flying yourself!

Good Luck!

On 1/30/2017 1:59 PM, Paul wrote:

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 30th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Oh, yes - the speaker. Get it out of the panel! Especially since it's
not in use. That magnet can wreck havoc on your compass (don't ask me
how I know).

On 1/30/2017 2:25 PM, JS wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:59:46 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:

For your second soaring season, these guys are putting you on the right track: Clean up the existing panel and connect the Kobo to the Cambridge stuff. There are adapters/cables to connect your GPS-NAV (the box the L-NAV and square Cambridge display connect to) to Oudie, I assume Kobo is essentially the same as Oudie.
Try to move the radio up so you can easily see what you're adjusting, less workload if you're landing out. Where the speaker is/was?
Jim

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 30th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Agreed.

To the OP, unless you fly at sea level, please get used to setting the altimeter to field elevation, all aero maps use altitude above sea level. It is also good to get used to it now before getting much further.
If need be, use a small piece of white tape in the middle of the altimeter with field elevation written on it as a reminder. I do that when flying at a contest site. As an example, HHSC/Elmira is on a hill next to a valley, quite a difference between the two elevations. It would also be a hassle doing a final glide over ridges to a valley airport and trying to figure out if you will clear terrain.

You may also want to inquire about getting your airspeed calibrated/serviced, yours is quite a bit off "0" unless it was really windy when you took the picture. ;-)

NOTE: I'm an ex-CFIG, contest and badge pilot in regards to altimeter setting.
Old January 31st 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Not familiar with what you have got on your Android tablet - does it give you audible warnings before airspace infringement?
Old January 31st 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

There's a number of new varios that display a bunch of navigation data on
an
itty-bitty display. A flight computer works better for that.

There's a lot of integration available to link vario, Flarm and computer;
so for
new vario I'd be looking for one that supports integration, but before
getting a
new vario, get a Flarm.

Old January 31st 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_10_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:24:56 PM UTC-6, waremark wrote:
Not familiar with what you have got on your Android tablet - does it give you audible warnings before airspace infringement?

I'll probably use my phone, which of course has a speaker, but I don't know whether Avare (the software) has that feature - you can download it at Google Play for free, if you want to check it out.
Old January 31st 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 7:31:00 PM UTC-8, Paul wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:24:56 PM UTC-6, waremark wrote:

I'll probably use my phone, which of course has a speaker, but I don't know whether Avare (the software) has that feature - you can download it at Google Play for free, if you want to check it out.

For those unfamiliar, Avare is a power flying app. It's great for current sectionals and detailed airport info including approach and departure plates, and will connect to other services. You can set the glide ratio of your aircraft for those pesky power-off approaches.
Well worth hitting the "Donate" button on.
Jim