Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Old January 31st 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Thoughts on panel upgrade?

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 3:13:42 PM UTC-5, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 10:52:13 PM UTC+3, ND wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 12:17:59 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
I'm hoping some of you might be kind enough to offer some perspective regarding my panel (pic he https://s29.postimg.org/qvb54ydzb/Panel_2.jpg), it's equipped with:
* Cambridge L-NAV computer with vario display, audio vario & gear warning
* Cambridge GPS-NAV flight recorder & LCD navigation display
* Sage mechanical vario

Not pictured:
* Kobo XCSoar tablet (sunlight readable black & white flight computer)
* Android tablet, running Avare, connected to Stratux for traffic & weather

I've been flying gliders one season, and managed to earn the bronze badge. I plan to start on the silver badge this spring, and hope to fly cross country. I've only used the Cambridge as a vario, and it works fine; I imagine it's navigation interface is clunky compared to my tablets. The Kobo XCSoar tablet gives lots of glider flight data, and the Android tablet also runs XCSoar, in case of a Kobo failure.

I imagine some of you have been down this road. Other than the obvious aesthetics, what's the benefit of replacing the Cambridge gear with something like an LXNAV S100?

Thanks,
Paul

the SN10, and CAI303 are both excellent instruments. if you like xcsoar stick with it. as far as a panel upgrade is concerned, you may simply have this one reconfigured and made more pretty.

if you do have it spruced up, think about functionality and what you most actively need. i like to put instruments with buttons on the left side of the panel, so you can use your free hand to manipulate them without having to trade hands on the stick. switches and fuses are also good to have on the left because you can easily access them with your free hand.

also it makes good sense to put more important/pertinent informaion near the top of the panel. specifically, the vario and the airspeed indicator. the altimeter is not needed quite as often. plus, most soaring programs (xc soar, oudie, lx and c-nav) all have altitude readouts on them, and are prominantly displayed.

your currently layout is not bad! i would put the radio into a 57mm hole off center, and move the temperature gauge down to the bottom of the panel. i'd also get rid of that vertical vario thingy (whatever it is) to the right of the altimeter.

That speaker takes up valuable panel space too. it doesn't need to be mounted on the face of the panel, it could be wired to the support bracket behind the panel, or even moved back behind your head. that frees up some space, de-clutters the panel.

those are my thoughts on "panel theory" X-D

hopefully that helps if you decide to have it re-done.

Andy

"Vertical vario thing"

I assumed that's a G meter?

good call. couldn't think of what it might be last night.
Old January 31st 17, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 3:59:46 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
Thanks for all the input! I'm really glad to hear my vario should still be able to function OK (not hobbled by old pressure transducers or slow CPU).

My Kobo isn't tied to the vario, but I'm going to look into doing that, as waremark mentioned. The odd vertical thing is a G meter, by the way. The dash speaker is inop, there's a speaker in back, so that space is available. I think I'll just paint, label and maybe rearrange (thx for the suggestions, ND) the panel, and leave well enough alone... for now!

yeah man! get a label maker from staples, and get rid of unnecessary stuff. you can even fill in the holes with some glass and cut new holes in that same panel if you wanna go the low cost route.
Old January 31st 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:25:44 AM UTC-5, ND wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 3:59:46 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
Thanks for all the input! I'm really glad to hear my vario should still be able to function OK (not hobbled by old pressure transducers or slow CPU).

My Kobo isn't tied to the vario, but I'm going to look into doing that, as waremark mentioned. The odd vertical thing is a G meter, by the way. The dash speaker is inop, there's a speaker in back, so that space is available. I think I'll just paint, label and maybe rearrange (thx for the suggestions, ND) the panel, and leave well enough alone... for now!

yeah man! get a label maker from staples, and get rid of unnecessary stuff. you can even fill in the holes with some glass and cut new holes in that same panel if you wanna go the low cost route.

do you use a suction cup mount to the canopy for your phone/navagation app? you may consider getting a ram mount for your phone, attach it to the panel. again, consider putting that on the far left.
Old January 31st 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Depending upon configuration XCSoar gives very good audible and visual
airspace warnings.

On 1/30/2017 7:24 PM, waremark wrote:
Not familiar with what you have got on your Android tablet - does it give you audible warnings before airspace infringement?

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 31st 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Phones generally are not very readable in direct sunlight. Look into a
Dell Streak 5 and load it with XCSoar (free). A quick look on eBay
finds a Streak 5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Streak-5-M01M-GSM-5-Android-Tablet-Smartphone-Black-16GB-Unlocked-/391688090085?hash=item5b326df1e5:g:NeAAAOSwo4pYimD L
(NOT a 7) currently bid at $17.50 and fully functional. I have three of
them, one in use and two spares. They are that good!

On 1/30/2017 8:30 PM, Paul wrote:
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:24:56 PM UTC-6, waremark wrote:
Not familiar with what you have got on your Android tablet - does it give you audible warnings before airspace infringement?

I'll probably use my phone, which of course has a speaker, but I don't know whether Avare (the software) has that feature - you can download it at Google Play for free, if you want to check it out.

--
Dan, 5J

Old January 31st 17, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

All of the information above, centered on which instruments to get, is great. A couple of points about the behind the scenes part of your panel. Before doing any work you should make a schematic of what goes to where, both electrically and airlines. This may be tedious but will be important during the rebuild. Seriously consider rewiring everything behind the panel. I imagine it is a hodge-podge of wires from years to additions and subtractions. Scary? Maybe but rewiring, and making a schematic, pays dividends when you are getting everything working and later mods. Guess what I am doing this winter on my "new" ship? See http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations for some helpful hints. Best of luck. - John
Old February 1st 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

He has a Kobo. This is a monochrome eink reader a bit like a Kindle. It runs XCSOAR well and is superbly sunlight readable. Drawbacks are that it has no audio, and as it comes new it does not have a GPS source. People add GPS and vario chips, such as the combined Bluefly device. With the Bluefly the internal battery lasts about 5 hours.
Old February 1st 17, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_10_]

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 9:42:03 AM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
All of the information above, centered on which instruments to get, is great. A couple of points about the behind the scenes part of your panel. Before doing any work you should make a schematic of what goes to where, both electrically and airlines. This may be tedious but will be important during the rebuild. Seriously consider rewiring everything behind the panel. I imagine it is a hodge-podge of wires from years to additions and subtractions. Scary? Maybe but rewiring, and making a schematic, pays dividends when you are getting everything working and later mods. Guess what I am doing this winter on my "new" ship? See http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations for some helpful hints. Best of luck. - John

Thank you for the link, John, it's very timely. I removed my panel yesterday, sanded and primed it today; tomorrow I'll finish paint and reinstall it.. The wiring isn't too bad (not like the "rats nest" in your photo), but there are a few things I'm tending to, and I'll be doing it with a bit more of an appreciation for best-practices, thanks to your presentation.
Old February 1st 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack J4

I think thats a great panel.....most important instruments large and front and center (airspeed and varios)

Is your airspeed needle on 20??
Old February 1st 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 12:28:54 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
[...]

mix up some resin with flock and plug those speaker holes + other unneccessary ones. then re-prime and paint. you'll be glad you did. definitely use a label maker for a clean appearance if you're going through all the trouble already.

Finally, send us a link to a pic when you're done. i'd love to see the transformation.

Ventus Panel upgrade Fish Soaring 3 September 12th 06 10:44 PM
Glass panel upgrade to a Turbo Arrow? Tauno Voipio Owning 9 March 12th 06 05:29 AM
panel upgrade from VFR to IFR John Doe Owning 5 September 26th 05 10:05 PM
cost of panel upgrade on bonanza soxinbox Owning 19 October 29th 04 04:35 AM
Beech F-33/B-55 panel upgrade or STC Gordon Rich-Phillips Owning 2 January 14th 04 02:28 PM