A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old November 29th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is difficult to read. What is the relevance of looking at the instrument at an angle?
Old November 29th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:14:10 PM UTC-8, waremark wrote:
As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is difficult to read. What is the relevance of looking at the instrument at an angle?

The posting was meant to inform those using a cell phone, where brightness has historically been an issue, as battery life has prevented manufacturers from using bright displays. There have been a few threads questioning the usability of iGlide due to this. At least with the X, it is no longer an issue. With a 6 Plus, I only had an issue looking into the sun wearing dark glasses, as I also did with the Avier/Oudie. This seems like less of a problem with the X, which is brighter, higher contrast, and higher resolution than either.

No relevance looking at an angle - just an observation that LCD and OLED displays have different artifacts (dimming and blue shift respectively), and it appears that the LCD suffers more. Of greater relevance is the reflections, and it appears that the anti-reflective coatings on a high end cell phone work better than the matte screen of an inexpensive PDA.
Old November 30th 17, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

torstai 30. marraskuuta 2017 0.21.42 UTC+2 jfitch kirjoitti:
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:14:10 PM UTC-8, waremark wrote:

The posting was meant to inform those using a cell phone, where brightness has historically been an issue, as battery life has prevented manufacturers from using bright displays. There have been a few threads questioning the usability of iGlide due to this. At least with the X, it is no longer an issue. With a 6 Plus, I only had an issue looking into the sun wearing dark glasses, as I also did with the Avier/Oudie. This seems like less of a problem with the X, which is brighter, higher contrast, and higher resolution than either.

No relevance looking at an angle - just an observation that LCD and OLED displays have different artifacts (dimming and blue shift respectively), and it appears that the LCD suffers more. Of greater relevance is the reflections, and it appears that the anti-reflective coatings on a high end cell phone work better than the matte screen of an inexpensive PDA.

Thanks for the pictures, Iphone X looks good. I would actually like bigger screen than current Oudie has, so Iphone X in Plus-size would be perfect.
Old November 30th 17, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

Old December 1st 17, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:17:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

How specifically are you mounting the iPad Mini in your glider?
Old December 1st 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike
Old December 1st 17, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 8:27:44 PM UTC-8, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider.. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

I found the iPad mini to be a little dim for my eyes. If you find it adequately readable, you can connect it to the vario with the Air Connect, which serves any LX style serial stream (and I think maybe C302?) over WiFi.
Old December 1st 17, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:27:44 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider.. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

The iPAD mini in my Phoenix just snaps into the mount. I don't know who makes the mount, but it works very well, and there is no modification required to the iPAD.
Old December 1st 17, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

perjantai 1. joulukuuta 2017 0.17.44 UTC+2 kirjoitti:

I would but iPads do not have same display as X. Pure gliding use X is total overkill, with iGlide licence package is close to 1500 euros.
Old December 1st 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 9:25:55 PM UTC-8, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:27:44 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

The iPAD mini in my Phoenix just snaps into the mount. I don't know who makes the mount, but it works very well, and there is no modification required to the iPAD.

RAM make "roller cradles" for most tablets.
The roller cradle is a very good system.
Jim