iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

Old November 29th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is difficult to read. What is the relevance of looking at the instrument at an angle?
Old November 29th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:14:10 PM UTC-8, waremark wrote:
As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is difficult to read. What is the relevance of looking at the instrument at an angle?

The posting was meant to inform those using a cell phone, where brightness has historically been an issue, as battery life has prevented manufacturers from using bright displays. There have been a few threads questioning the usability of iGlide due to this. At least with the X, it is no longer an issue. With a 6 Plus, I only had an issue looking into the sun wearing dark glasses, as I also did with the Avier/Oudie. This seems like less of a problem with the X, which is brighter, higher contrast, and higher resolution than either.

No relevance looking at an angle - just an observation that LCD and OLED displays have different artifacts (dimming and blue shift respectively), and it appears that the LCD suffers more. Of greater relevance is the reflections, and it appears that the anti-reflective coatings on a high end cell phone work better than the matte screen of an inexpensive PDA.
Old November 30th 17, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

torstai 30. marraskuuta 2017 0.21.42 UTC+2 jfitch kirjoitti:
[...]

Thanks for the pictures, Iphone X looks good. I would actually like bigger screen than current Oudie has, so Iphone X in Plus-size would be perfect.
Old November 30th 17, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

Old December 1st 17, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:17:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

How specifically are you mounting the iPad Mini in your glider?
Old December 1st 17, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike
Old December 1st 17, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 8:27:44 PM UTC-8, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider.. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

I found the iPad mini to be a little dim for my eyes. If you find it adequately readable, you can connect it to the vario with the Air Connect, which serves any LX style serial stream (and I think maybe C302?) over WiFi.
Old December 1st 17, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:27:44 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider.. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

The iPAD mini in my Phoenix just snaps into the mount. I don't know who makes the mount, but it works very well, and there is no modification required to the iPAD.
Old December 1st 17, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

perjantai 1. joulukuuta 2017 0.17.44 UTC+2 kirjoitti:
If you really want to go big, try iPad mini 4. It works well with iGlide. Easy to read, and has more info boxes than on IPhone.

I would but iPads do not have same display as X. Pure gliding use X is total overkill, with iGlide licence package is close to 1500 euros.
Old December 1st 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 9:25:55 PM UTC-8, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 10:27:44 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
The iPad Mini is roughly the same size as the Nexus 7 I used in my glider. Get a Ram system (one inch ball) and screw a diamond ball to a hard shell case for the Mini. Should be too tough. The hard part may be the connection between the vario and the iPad.

Mike

The iPAD mini in my Phoenix just snaps into the mount. I don't know who makes the mount, but it works very well, and there is no modification required to the iPAD.

RAM make "roller cradles" for most tablets.
The roller cradle is a very good system.
Jim