Transponder installation article- Soaring Magazine

Old December 14th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Transponder installation article- Soaring Magazine

Within the past 2-3 years, someone did a very nice article on installing a transponder, I believe it was a Trig21 or 22, in their DG303. I've searched but can't find the article/issue. Does anyone recall this or happen to know the issue?
Thanks
Old December 15th 20, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 12/14/20 11:22 AM, wrote:
Within the past 2-3 years, someone did a very nice article on installing a transponder, I believe it was a Trig21 or 22, in their DG303. I've searched but can't find the article/issue. Does anyone recall this or happen to know the issue?
Thanks

I installed a Trig 22 in my Stemme and one in my gyroplane. It's
straight forward especially if you also buy a pre made harness. Simply:

1. Find a place and install the remote box.
2 Install the control head in the panel.
3 Connect the control head with the remote box using the purchased
cable. (You can make your own cable if you're handy with that, the
connectors and pins are included with the transponder.
4. Connect 12v and ground to the red and black (respectively) wires.
5. Connect the static line to the static ports using the supplied
T-fitting.
6. Install the antenna and connect the coax to the transponder
7. Power on and configure per the instructions.

If you're also installing ADS-B, it's even easier than the steps above:

1. Install the GPS,
2. Connect the GPS to the transponder. It's powered via the Y-cable
(ordered separately)
3. Mount the GPS antenna and connect the coax cable.
4. Power on and configure per the instructions.

Hope that takes the mystery out of it.

--
Dan
5J
Old December 15th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

http://ourdigitalmags.com/publication/?i=563086&p=34
Old December 15th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 3:28:01 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/14/20 11:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

I can supply custom length cables that power both the TT22 and TN72.

http://www.craggyaero.com/transponder.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old December 15th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On 12/14/20 11:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

To that list I will add one more item: you must get installation tested and inspected by an FAA approved avionics repair station with an entry to that effect made in the glider's logbook prior to use. This check must be repeated every 24 months.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.413

Tom
Old December 15th 20, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A few random notes from my TT22 installation:

- From the Trig Installation Manual: "The transponder power input is not protected against reversed power connections. Reversing the power and ground inputs to the transponder will destroy it. Check wiring before applying power."
-- A proven hazard demonstrated (luckily) by someone else

- Common sense for all transmitters but not obvious on a transponder: Make sure the antenna is connected before any transmission takes place. When is that? Generally, anytime the transponder is on GND, ON, or ALT switch mode and it gets and replies to an interrogation. SBY mode use (e.g., for initial TT21/22 SETUP programming) should be OK without having the antenna connected. But it's easy to mistakenly turn past SBY onto one of the "transmit" positions. So it's best to have the antenna connected before powering on.

- If you plan to have ADS-B Out by integrating a Trig TN70 or TN72, both the firmware on the TC20 control head AND the main transponder (TT21/22) must be of a certain version number or later (like v1.14 and v2.12, respectively). An authorized Trig dealer can confirm the current requirements and upgrade your firmware as needed.
-- The firmware versions are displayed very briefly on the control head screen after powering on. I video'd the sequence and replayed it several times to catch the numbers.
Old December 15th 20, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After installation and testing are complete, take a flight and the check your FAA performance report he
https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

Mine flunked the first time. I had one of the configuration settings wrong, but it was easily sorted out with information provided by Prof. Pfiffner:
http://www.craggyaero.com/tt22_tn72_settings.htm

Cheers,
...david

Old December 15th 20, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
India November[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 6:51:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I am thinking of installing a TRIG xponder for next season, maybe with ADS-B, but this would mean installing multiple GPS antennas (FLARM, C302, Xponder) and I'm running out of room under the glareshield.

Questions for the experts out the need there be a minimum spacing between GPS antennas (i.e. do they interact); and is there a way to connect one GPS antenna to feed one or more boxes?

Thanks!
Ian IN
Old December 15th 20, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 12/15/20 3:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

Good information about the firmware. I had to send the control head for
the TT22 in the Stemme to the avionics shop for upgrade. There was no
charge for the service IIRC.

--
Dan
5J
Old December 15th 20, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 11:56:33 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/15/20 3:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for the help and information, as wel as the link to the original article. We're considering installing a trig22 with ADS-B out for or glider, which also happens to be a DG303 as in the article.
Thanks