What have we learned from all this?

Old May 28th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default What have we learned from all this?

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
If you are autorotating in a helicopter and you are looking at your toes, you are looking too far out.

I have over 2,000 hours in MD 500's. My aim point was just above my toes in chin bubble, unless doing a 180 auto, then my aim point was sighted through my anus.
Old May 28th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have over 2,000 hours in MD 500's. My aim point was just above my toes in chin bubble, unless doing a 180 auto, then my aim point was sighted through my anus.

Perhaps flying helicopters may require that particular view. I hesitate to ask how you place your head to achieve this.

Actually, I would prefer to not know. Now I must go consume sufficient fully natured alcoholic beverages to drive the concept from my memory.

Booze! Nature's DELETE key!
Old December 21st 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, Gregg Ballou wrote:

...Yearly flu has a higher body count...

Quick though belated update: A week or so ago US deaths from Covid-19 surpassed 300,000. That was in about ten months since the first US death in early February. With daily deaths averaging ~2500, we're now up around 320,000.

--Bob K.
Old December 22nd 20, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 5:26:49 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 4:56:02 PM UTC-7, Gregg Ballou wrote:

...Yearly flu has a higher body count...

Quick though belated update: A week or so ago US deaths from Covid-19 surpassed 300,000. That was in about ten months since the first US death in early February. With daily deaths averaging ~2500, we're now up around 320,000.

--Bob K.

Without comorbidity BS accounting the 'rona death rate is less than the usual flu bodycount. Except curiously this year there is no flu. All cause mortality is the same or a bit less in 2020. You are free to be as scared as you want, or as scared as the TV tells you to be. FYI being scared is really bad for immune system functioning.
Merry Christmas everyone. And have a blessed 2021. I'm not expecting a racing season in '21 but if we shut off the TV and go to the airport we will get some great soaring in.
PS Some numbers from the Pfizer control group https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...ovid-hysteria/
Old December 22nd 20, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Gregg Ballou wrote on 12/21/2020 4:57 PM:
[...]

There was plenty of flu this year (estimates of 20-40,000 deaths for the 2019-2020 season), but
very little so far in the 2020-2021 season (that's normal, early in the season, which starts on
week 40). Take a look at the chart (scroll down to "National Center for Health Statistics
(NCHS) Mortality Surveillance"), which shows pneumonia, flu, and Covid-19 deaths:

Pneumonia and Influenza (P&I) Mortality Surveillance

Mortality for people dying with flu-like symptoms is up substantially.

Old December 22nd 20, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 6:07:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Interesting situation that we are all faced with the last few weeks, things are more serious than we ever expected. I was having a great discussion last evening with my family member who is an Infectious Disease MD, the discussion was eye opening! This is a game changer, and China has much to blame for not informing the world about what was happening with this virus.
The doctors in China that alerted the gov about what was happening have disappeared, probably shot in some kind of firing line. Infection was spread globally during this time of silence from the Chinese.
The good to come out of this is that Trump understands how vulnerable us as Americans are due to our lack of manufacturing that has been shipped abroad. We as a country will be in a much better position after this pandemic declines. Medications will once again be made in America, our dependency will be less on the global work force and our country will be better equipped to deal with the next medical crisis that exist. I have for some time been following the work of Dr. Jacob Glanville, who is funded by the Gates foundation. It was interesting to listen to his understanding of this situation and how it will be defeated.
Flaming liberals are still blaming Trump for this species threatening virus, just tune into the twisted media and listen to what these so called educated idiots are saying, tell me that Jim Acosta is playing with a full deck. Does he really think that this country has a respirator for every person!
What goes??? Bob

Well, here is a lookback at 2020 and just what did we learn? We learned that the Chinese did not tell the world of the COVID virus until they had purchased huge supplies of protective gear from around the world, therefore putting others at a higher risk. We learned that the Trumpster got screwed in the liberal media. Most every professional sport was drastically altered and that crowd noise was played over the pa systems to simulate fans. We lost Joe Morgan and Sean Connery, and Alex Trebek along with RBG, but we got a great replacement in ACB.
Soaring was affected by the virus as well, limited participation and even some clubs limited training and rides. Contest were canceled, and the ladies found more interest in a harmless depiction than in flying. So, here we go, headed into 2021 with many not opting to take a vaccine, still arguing about counting votes, and Notre Dame gets into the CFP after a kicking by Clemson, was there any justice in 2020 at all? Bob
Old December 22nd 20, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

It has been hard for people to understand the diference between a public health responce, and a personal health responce. If the vaccine provides significant protection for me (and makes me unable to transit the virus) then if I take it, I don't care if anyone else does. I am good to go. However, the public health issue is what is driving the concern. It is the capisity of the health system, that is overloaded, the morbidity of the virus goes up. The rate of spread controls this. So if it goes unchecked, then truly unrelated illness/accidents goes up from lack of health care workers.

In that there are many hospitals that are now at 100% capisity, we are about to see the effects of unchecked spread. So from a personal prospective, anyone is welcome to deal with there own perceived risk any way they want, but from a public health perspective, you should raly around the flag, and do your part for your countrymen.

The problem with some people (and now even some Swedes) is they are unwilling to curb their activity for the greater good, so government has had to step in. The vaccine rollout will be too slow to effectively curb the public spread for many more months. So buckle up bucks, we still have a long ride.

And if you realy think this is still like the flu, just ask an accute care nurse, who might actually know.
Old December 22nd 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 6:11:20 AM UTC-7, RR wrote:
[...]

https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e0...D19%20severity. FWIW, you may exercise a choice in that MMR II is considered safe, may impact the severity of COVID-19, may be available at your local commercial shot providers without a doctor's referral, and costs around $100 per injection, 2 x 4 weeks. Other articles are saying to recommended, but it may be a viable option for some.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on the Internet, but a doctor did share this.
Old December 22nd 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Frank Whiteley wrote on 12/22/2020 11:55 AM:
[...]

It's an interesting study, but here's an excerpt from an article about the study (the article
is he
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...at-comes-next).

"However, Goldenberg stopped short of recommending that adults start asking for booster MMR shots.

“Administering MMR vaccine to adults to decrease illness severity during a COVID infection
should not be considered until randomized clinical trials demonstrate efficacy,” he told
Healthline.

Gohil concurred.

“It’s important to be thoughtful about it. I don’t think you should be giving someone a booster
just because there’s a potential link,” she said.

Gohil said there haven’t been studies on giving boosters to adults, and we don’t know what side
effects there might be. More research would be required before making such a recommendation.

“It would be replacing one problem for another if we didn’t study that in a systematic way,”
she said.

Old December 23rd 20, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 2:53:35 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I see I mistyped on my post, should have said "Other articles are saying NOT recommended. You found those. Some of this reminds me of the mandatory Swine Flu vaccines us in the military were given in 1976. I got two injections, a few weeks apart. FWIW, I felt great after the second shot for a long while, so am not sure what kind of elixir it was, but it added a feeling of intense physical well being. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but one of my wife's cousins had a bout of GBS following a flu shot 5-6 years ago and wound up on a ventilator for a while. He recovered but it put a dent in his life. I don't take the flu shot every year, but find it interesting that the MMR II might be the reason for younger persons being less affected.