A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Vc gear difficulty

Old April 5th 21, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho
external usenet poster

Default Vc gear difficulty

Not familiar with the Ventus gear. Does it have a gas spring to assist in retraction? If so, the spring may be low on pressure.
Old April 5th 21, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 1:39:28 PM UTC-4, Jon May wrote:
On Monday, 5 April 2021 at 12:49:19 UTC+1, Phoenix wrote:
Anyone have a solution as to why my gear is so VERY difficult to retract / extend on my Ventus c? It's the very last 10% trying to get the lever into the indent that's the problem.

I know it is too easy, but if you reduce the tension on the axel bolt by one or two flats on the castle nut it will make a difference.
Just try it while its on the trailer belly dolly.
You will need to replace the split pin but it is so easy.
This is what worked on my discus and I was told by the importer /champion s/h pilot Steve Jones.

Reducing the tension on the axel bolt will only free up the rotation of the tire, correct? The problem is not in the tire rotation - it's in the up / down mech. of the gear/
Old April 5th 21, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoenix
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 2:04:18 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
Not familiar with the Ventus gear. Does it have a gas spring to assist in retraction? If so, the spring may be low on pressure.

Thanks Mark but no.
Old April 6th 21, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

Phoenix,

I have a Ventus b. If you properly lubricate and torque the mechanism bolt (make sure they are not too tight) the gear does not require much force to extend and retract and place in the stops.

If you want to talk about my experience with this call, phone # on my website.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 6th 21, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 7:07:24 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 9:51:57 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

Thanks for the tips, Tim. By the way, what is "UHMW"?

To add to Charlie M's response:

UHMW-PE, the PE is polyethylene. It is next to Teflon in low friction and as tough as steel in some applications. 1" thick will stop a 45 ACP round. Besides sheets and assorted shapes, it's also available in tape (various thicknesses and widths - try Amazon). Because of it's mechanical strength, you can't stretch the tape by any significant degree to make turns or to follow compound curves. The 10 mil (0.010") thick tape won't fold over an edge neatly, but 4 to 6 mil will do edges ok. Very handy to have to "overhaul a low speed sleeve bearing shaft to take out play - - lots of uses around the shop.) Get the 10 mil for your gear doors.

bumper
Old April 6th 21, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Rolley
external usenet poster

I have a Ventus B.

You have plenty of suggestions about the mechanism back at the wheel well.

However, the mechanism in the cockpit behind the seat pan can get dirty and create the same kind of problem.

There is a tube in a tube sliding assembly plus several support bearings. Once clean use a lubricant like the LPS family. LPS-1 is a dry residue lubricate. LPS-2 is a wet residue lubricant. Either can be used as the cleaner with a shop rag.

For the final lube use the dry lube if you are in a dry, dusty area. Consider the wet lube only if you are in a humid area. In either case a little lube goes a long way.
Old April 6th 21, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 12:51:03 AM UTC-6, bumper wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 7:07:24 AM UTC-7, Phoenix wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 9:51:57 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:

Thanks for the tips, Tim. By the way, what is "UHMW"?

To add to Charlie M's response:

UHMW-PE, the PE is polyethylene. It is next to Teflon in low friction and as tough as steel in some applications. 1" thick will stop a 45 ACP round. Besides sheets and assorted shapes, it's also available in tape (various thicknesses and widths - try Amazon). Because of it's mechanical strength, you can't stretch the tape by any significant degree to make turns or to follow compound curves. The 10 mil (0.010") thick tape won't fold over an edge neatly, but 4 to 6 mil will do edges ok. Very handy to have to "overhaul a low speed sleeve bearing shaft to take out play - - lots of uses around the shop.) Get the 10 mil for your gear doors.

bumper

It's also modern glider winch rope known as spectra and dyneema 75 and their variants.

Frank