c-152 rudder???

Old December 13th 04, 07:02 PM
houstondan

Default c-152 rudder???

i really need to start this by saying i know absolutely nothing new or
bad about any aircraft. i'm sure not trying to start any rumors. in
fact, this may be something that y'all have already chewed on but...

the outfit i rent from is just down the taxiway from "air aces" at
houston-hooks where they've had a horrible time with wings coming off
airplanes lately.

in talking about that, one of the people at my base....not at "aces"...
told me they have been hearing about faa looking into a structural
problem with c-152 rudders. since they've got several and since i'm
almost certainly going to be buying one in the next few months we're
kinda curious about what might be going on.

anybody???

dan

Old December 14th 04, 01:32 AM
Dave S

houstondan wrote:
i really need to start this by saying i know absolutely nothing new or
bad about any aircraft. i'm sure not trying to start any rumors. in
fact, this may be something that y'all have already chewed on but...

the outfit i rent from is just down the taxiway from "air aces" at
houston-hooks where they've had a horrible time with wings coming off
airplanes lately.

in talking about that, one of the people at my base....not at "aces"...
told me they have been hearing about faa looking into a structural
problem with c-152 rudders. since they've got several and since i'm
almost certainly going to be buying one in the next few months we're
kinda curious about what might be going on.

anybody???

dan

A non-scientific review of NTSB records for a few years done moments ago
by me looking for C152 AND "rudder" shows no cases of rudder failure or
cracking of the rudder structure/attach points in any of the accident
synopses.

One overriding theme, however, appears to be inadequate use of rudder to
keep from running off the runway.

Maybe theres a problem, but its not being manifested by accidents.

On a side note... why do you WANT to buy a C152?

Dave

Old December 14th 04, 04:05 AM
houstondan

the c-152 seems like a pretty sensible way to get into my first
airplane. the way i see the g.a. business overall, especially with the
feds helping so many people decide that commercial flight just ain't
worth the trouble, a good condition c-152 should at least hold it's
value (adjusted for engine-time) and may actually appreciate in the
future. there's parts & mechanics everywhere you land . i'm just
getting started thinking about buying so my mind isn't anywhere near
made up but that's what seems to be the best idea at the moment.

i'm certainly open for suggestions. probably months away but certainly
not a year.

dan

Old December 14th 04, 08:47 AM
Dave S

houstondan wrote:

the c-152 seems like a pretty sensible way to get into my first
airplane. the way i see the g.a. business overall, especially with the
feds helping so many people decide that commercial flight just ain't
worth the trouble, a good condition c-152 should at least hold it's
value (adjusted for engine-time) and may actually appreciate in the
future. there's parts & mechanics everywhere you land . i'm just
getting started thinking about buying so my mind isn't anywhere near
made up but that's what seems to be the best idea at the moment.

i'm certainly open for suggestions. probably months away but certainly
not a year.

dan

My suggestion is get your ticket in the flight school's aircraft, then
buy something that will suit your mission. From a payload, speed and
range standpoint, unless you are into sightseeing alone or with a small
friend.. the aircraft (150/152) comes up short in my book.

Granted.. its a fine plane. I learned in one. I still rent and fly one
on occasion (airwork, short hop, etc).. but when I want to travel,
things like a Grumman, a 172, a 177, a Mooney or a Cherokee spring to
mind. And thats the impression I am getting from you, with your
reference to commercial flight - you intend to travel.

Granted this is just my opinion. I'm not even an owner. At the moment I
am involved with building a velocity (experimental Canard), but before,
when I was looking for my own aircraft, I was tending towards 4 seats,
retractable gear and up to 200 hp... Figure our what you want to do with
aircraft ownership, then get something that will fill that need best
(but within your means).

Dave

Old December 14th 04, 08:49 AM
The Rebel

"houstondan" wrote in message
oups.com...
the c-152 seems like a pretty sensible way to get into my first
airplane. the way i see the g.a. business overall, especially with the
feds helping so many people decide that commercial flight just ain't
worth the trouble, a good condition c-152 should at least hold it's
value (adjusted for engine-time) and may actually appreciate in the
future. there's parts & mechanics everywhere you land . i'm just
getting started thinking about buying so my mind isn't anywhere near
made up but that's what seems to be the best idea at the moment.

i'm certainly open for suggestions. probably months away but certainly
not a year.

dan

There's not a thing wrong with a C-152; if you are going to be flying alone
or with an occasional passenger, it's the perfect plane for you. It's
almost idiotproof, has very gentle stall characteristics, sips fuel at a
modest 8-9 gph, is a proven design and can be bought for a song in
comparison to other aircraft.

I hope to purchase a C-150 in 2006 because that's all the airplane that I
need - anything more is a waste of money in my opinion.

--
www.geocities.com/ralphsnart2004/index.html

Old December 14th 04, 01:28 PM
Ron Natalie

Dave S wrote:

A non-scientific review of NTSB records for a few years done moments ago
by me looking for C152 AND "rudder" shows no cases of rudder failure or
cracking of the rudder structure/attach points in any of the accident
synopses.

Doubt that even if the rudder fell off a 152 it would cause an accident.
Most 152 pilots don't do anything with those pedals other than taxi.
Old December 14th 04, 02:04 PM
Jay Honeck

I hope to purchase a C-150 in 2006 because that's all the airplane that I
need - anything more is a waste of money in my opinion.

And so it begins.

I bought a Warrior in '98, thinking "I'll never need another plane" -- then
my little kids became big kids.

My advice: Buy the biggest, fastest plane you can afford -- cuz you WILL
want/need something bigger/faster than a 150 in a surprisingly short
timeframe. Selling and buying an airplane is such a gigantic PIA that you
really want to reduce the number of times you do it as much as possible.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 14th 04, 02:47 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

Dan,

A C-152 is a great choice. A friend of mine bought one a couple of years ago
and has put several hundred hours on it. Let's face, not everyone needs to
be fast or needs the extra room. I fly alone or with a 6 year-old. My
two-seater works just fine, and 110 mph is fast enough for me. I also get to
fly about 150 hours a year without breaking the bank. As to weight, not
everyone is fat. Buying the C-152 will get you in the air at a reasonable
cost and will be a good incentive to keep using your tread mill.

If you're family decides that they like traveling by air, then you can
upgrade. Another friend bought a PA-28 after earning his PPL and his family
has never been in it. He hates the airplane and wishes he could opt out into
something that more fun to fly. Buy what you can afford to fly often!

Good luck,
Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

Old December 14th 04, 03:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Another friend bought a PA-28 after earning his PPL and his family has
never been in it.

That says more about your friend's marriage than about his choice of
airplane, Deb.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be uncommon at the airport.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 14th 04, 03:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

The Rebel wrote:

..... sips fuel at a modest 8-9 gph, .....

If your 152 is burning this much gas, either someone stuck an O-320 in it or you
need to learn what that red knob is for.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.