ASK21 vs G103

Old October 17th 03, 02:26 AM
solo89

Default ASK21 vs G103

In a few weeks I'll take my check ride in an ASK21. All of my training
to date has been in a G103.

The examiner told me the ASK is a lot like the Grob just better.

any advice?

I'm a little concerned about taking my check ride in a glider I've
never seen, but not overly concerned. The performance looks pretty
similar and they're both fixed gear ships. So I'm thinkin' "no big
deal".

Doug
Old October 17th 03, 09:58 AM
Eggert Ehmke

solo89 wrote:

In a few weeks I'll take my check ride in an ASK21. All of my training
to date has been in a G103.

The examiner told me the ASK is a lot like the Grob just better.

any advice?

we use both for basic training, and they are comparable. The ASK21 is even
better in rudder/aileron harmony. When it comes to performance, the Grob
may have one or two points, but this is not relevant for the check flight.
Did you train on a a Twin I (Twin Astir) or a Twin III ? The Twin I is a
taildragger, the Twin II/III has a nose wheel, as the ASK21, so the landing
characteristic is the same. You will have no problems.
Eggert
Old October 17th 03, 11:55 AM
Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:58:58 +0200, Eggert Ehmke
wrote:

solo89 wrote:

In a few weeks I'll take my check ride in an ASK21. All of my training
to date has been in a G103.

The examiner told me the ASK is a lot like the Grob just better.

any advice?

we use both for basic training, and they are comparable. The ASK21 is even
better in rudder/aileron harmony. When it comes to performance, the Grob
may have one or two points, but this is not relevant for the check flight.
Did you train on a a Twin I (Twin Astir) or a Twin III ? The Twin I is a
taildragger, the Twin II/III has a nose wheel, as the ASK21, so the landing
characteristic is the same. You will have no problems.

Agreed. The ASK-21 is more responsive and has a more powerful rudder.
You may find the trim a little disconcerting at first but that will
soon pass. Its by the side of the stick and has nothing comparable to
the Grob's trim housing to act as a reference for the pre take-off
setting.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 17th 03, 02:01 PM
Eggert Ehmke

Robert Ehrlich wrote:

Having recently (August 2003) flown in the same day a Twin I and an ASK21,
I found the Twin much heavier on the controls. Flying the ASK21 after the
Twin, I had the feeling of flying a single seater after a two seater. As
far as I remember from flights in a Twin III (February and September), the
feeling is much more like the ASK21.

True. There is some difference between TwinI and III, also the airfoil is
different. That's why I asked the OP which one he has trained on. But:
transition Twin I -- ASK no problem, only that the ASK handles better;
transition Twin III -- ASK no problem, almost the same.

To OP again: if you trained on a Twin I, you are used to two-point or
tail-first landings (dont know how they are called correctly in english,
but you will guess). You should do the same with ASK21, but even if you do
a wheel-first landing the plane will react very friendly and sit down on
the front wheel. If you know the Twin III, again it is similar to the ASK.
Eggert
Old October 17th 03, 02:12 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:55:10 +0100, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

You may find the trim a little disconcerting at first but that will
soon pass. Its by the side of the stick and has nothing comparable to
the Grob's trim housing to act as a reference for the pre take-off
setting.

The 21 has a trim setting display on the right side of the cockpit.

Bye
Andreas
Old October 17th 03, 03:50 PM
Martin Gregorie

wrote:

You may find the trim a little disconcerting at first but that will
soon pass. Its by the side of the stick and has nothing comparable to
the Grob's trim housing to act as a reference for the pre take-off
setting.

The 21 has a trim setting display on the right side of the cockpit.

Ours doesn't, but then it is pretty old.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 17th 03, 04:55 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:50:14 +0100, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

The 21 has a trim setting display on the right side of the cockpit.

Ours doesn't, but then it is pretty old.

What serial no. is it?

Bye
Andreas
Old October 17th 03, 05:52 PM
Robert John

We (London Gliding Club) have a half dozen K21s of
various vintages up to brand new. I think only the
newest have the trim indicator. In my view, one of
the most useless pieces of equipment imaginable.
Feeling the position of the trim lever is easier and
safer.
Rob

Old October 17th 03, 05:55 PM
solo89

Thanks to all for the input.

I've been flying the G103 Twin II Acro. (I guess the Acro is a wasted
distinction these days.) It does indeed sound very similar to the
ASK21.

I'm glad to hear the rudder and ailerons are better balanced. I do
sometimes have trouble with my coordination in the 103.

Just a few more flights and lots of book time between me and the test.

Doug
Old October 17th 03, 07:02 PM
Guy Byars

We (London Gliding Club) have a half dozen K21s of
various vintages up to brand new. I think only the
newest have the trim indicator. In my view, one of
the most useless pieces of equipment imaginable.
Feeling the position of the trim lever is easier and
safer.
Rob

But it is useful to have that so you can set the trim correctly before
takeoff.