Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

Old February 14th 21, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
This glider is said to be a 400 hour ship.
Again, in gel coat, and we all know what happens at some point.
Somewhat outdated panel.
A pure glider, no sustainer.
Fabric interior and not leather.
Clear canopy and not tinted.
I all honesty, what do you think the value of this ship?
Old February 15th 21, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 4:29:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am considering making a purchase for a AGS29 pure glider, I have somewhat a good idea as to the market value of such a ship, but your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the market value of aa ASG29 2012 model, with a slight damage history and somewhat outdated panel to be? There is a trailer included and the description was stated to be pristine, yet there are 4 out of 5 stars on the advertised description. IMHO if the glider is pristine there should be 5 stars in the descriptive advertisement.
This glider is said to be a 400 hour ship.
Again, in gel coat, and we all know what happens at some point.
Somewhat outdated panel.
A pure glider, no sustainer.
Fabric interior and not leather.
Clear canopy and not tinted.
I all honesty, what do you think the value of this ship?

Wings and Wheels has the following guide when you actually place an ad:
Rate your aircraft Exterior on a scale of 1 to 5.
1 = Needs major work
2 = Needs some work
3 = Good condition
4 = Excellent condition
5 = Factory new condition

Based on that, only a handful of gliders currently in the US would rate a five. I've got a Discus that is almost flawless, having been hard-waxed every year. But if I had to submit an ad, I would have to rate it "4" based on the W&W system. They use the same system for rating trailers, interiors, etc. In short, "4" is GOOD.
Old February 15th 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:44:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Bob,
As far as ratings-

If it is the one in Moriarty, it is a nice glider. It may not be as pristine as the '27 you purchased, but close . Talk to Fidel he probably rated it and will give you an honest appraisal. I believe he is acting on behalf of an estate. He refinishes gliders for a living and has a fairly stringent rating system-one mans 5 is another mans 4. It was owned by a friend (Kathy Taylor) that has passed away recently and did not fly all that often. It was always stored in her hangar and I think that in the past several years it was not flown at all.

Mike
Old February 15th 21, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kayla Hanke

[...]

You can view the past sold ASG 29's on Wings and Wheels based on their asking prices ...

ASG-29 - 18M
LISTING SOLD:
2020-03-05 11:32:12
MAKE: Schleicher
MODEL: ASG-29 - 18m
YEAR: 2010
TOTAL TIME: 1009.3
INTERIOR:
EXTERIOR:
$112,000.00
USD

LISTING SOLD:
2019-01-04 09:13:38
MAKE: Schleicher
MODEL: ASG-29 - 18m
YEAR: 2006
TOTAL TIME: 1616
INTERIOR:
EXTERIOR:
$125,000.00
USD

2018-08-20 09:42:54
MAKE: Schleicher
MODEL: ASG-29 - 18m
YEAR: 2008
TOTAL TIME: 325
INTERIOR:
EXTERIOR:
$110,000.00
USD

2018-12-25 14:43:10
MAKE: Schleicher
MODEL: ASG-29 - 18m
YEAR: 2006
TOTAL TIME: 1050
INTERIOR:
EXTERIOR:
$105,000.00
USD

LISTING SOLD:
2018-03-09 18:54:14
MAKE: Schleicher
MODEL: ASG-29 - 18m
YEAR: 2012
TOTAL TIME: 250
INTERIOR:
EXTERIOR:
$125,000.00
USD

ETC ... ETC ....

Old February 15th 21, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 2:32:11 PM UTC-5, Mike Carris wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike, I am very cognizant of the 29 that is being listed from the estate, There are a couple of other 29's that are coming up in the near future that will spark my interest. I also know the purchase price of the recent 29's sold during the last year and they are pretty much in the range that I would expect. Getting your asking price is one thing, but the reality of the sale is, what someone is willing to pay.
Thanks for the compliment on the 27, yes it was well taken care of both my wife and I enjoy it very much.
Old February 15th 21, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Oh, yes, and I don't recall Kathy ever flying it in wave, and it's only
been hangared in Moriarty. Think dry climate.

Dan
5J

Old February 15th 21, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

[...]

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.
Old February 16th 21, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.

.... so will the pilot!
Old February 16th 21, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 6:05:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 5:31:18 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

I would think twice about purchasing gel a coat finished glider. 10 years down the road it will look undesirable.

... so will the pilot!

Oh Stephen, there you go again. In 10 years I would be approaching 80 and if we flew together I would kick your ASS. So before you start throwing rocks on us senior citizens get you glider and come on down. Bob
Old February 16th 21, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 2:11:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

A nice thing about buying from an estate is that the person (rep) selling has no investment to recover and probably is not working on a commission basis.