LX8000

Old December 19th 13, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Bjork

Default LX8000

Can anyone tekk me the pros and cons of a LX8000 vrs. ClearNav?

Old December 19th 13, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:52:35 PM UTC+13, Tom Bjork wrote:
Can anyone tekk me the pros and cons of a LX8000 vrs. ClearNav?

LX8000 uses less power and less panel space. It costs more. I like them because they're well integrated. Vario, Flarm, moving map all works nicely together.
Some people have difficulty figuring out how to use them, but all those fancy vario / moving map things have a learning curve.

ClearNav is made in USA and you'll likely find more users locally and good local support.

Beware the power consumption though.

--
Philip Plane
Old December 19th 13, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

You can learn to use the clearnav without ever opening the manual,
its that easy.

As for power consumption I know my clearnav uses considerably less power than my
old ipaq setup so it is a non issue for me, if you are having power consumption issues you may want to check you might be leaving the backlight on high all the time.

In the US if you need clearnav help it is readily available as there will likely be several others on the grid that can help, lx800 not so much.

Old December 19th 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:52:35 PM UTC-8, Tom Bjork wrote:
Can anyone tekk me the pros and cons of a LX8000 vrs. ClearNav?

Tom,

The LX8000/LX8080/LX9000 as Philp said is a well integrated system. It has also has the V9 inertial assisted vario. And it is finished no beta stuff. Excellent support is readily available by Craggy Aero LLC in the US. The software is very similar to SeeYou with a stick controller option.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_flight_computers.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 19th 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tom,

They are both great products. I have flown with both (ClearNav and LX9000)
in our DG-1000. Feel free to call if you have questions.

The ClearNav is know for its ease of use. It works great with a Cambridge
302 or ClearNav CNv vario - which has received many very positive reviews
here. The LX8000 and LX9000 are known for their high-end features like AHRS
(artificial horizon - optional), etc. They come with a V9 vario - which is
very nice.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________

Old December 19th 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Both systems are very good, but only LXNAV allows you to customize *everything* as you wish. Whether its on their desktop tool for upload or directly on the hardware itself, its pretty easy and quick to do.

Sure, Clearnav allows you to turn on/off info boxes, but if you want to see those boxes in a different spot, your stuck with the placement they've already chosen for you.

Maybe most users dont care, but for the amount of money in these systems the ability to customize what you see should be standard. Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's, let me put 'em where I want 'em (my opinion of course)

Support from LXNAV and their dealers is top notch too!

Britton
(prior Clearnav user, current LX9000 owner)
Old December 20th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

A very happy LX9000 user here (with Flarm/AHRS/2nd seat display), with limited experience only in other people's 2 seaters of Clearnav and LX8000. As a previous LX7000 and Oudie user I found it easy to use, but starting from scratch the Clearnav is definitely easier. I much prefer the control system of the LX9000 using knobs and soft buttons to the Clearnav remote control (I know that not everyone agrees) Most things I do in flight such as zooming in and out, or changing between continuing on my task or going to somewhere else, perhaps my home airport, require many more steps in Clearnav. I like being able to choose my own setup, so for me the philosophy of greater flexibility works better than the Clearnav philosophy of simplicity. I like having my IGC files automatically on a full size SD card. I like the very tidy screen layouts available. I consider that the screen size is optimal - for me the LX8000 is too small for the amount of info it tries to display, let alone an LX8080, I would rather use an Oudie. While I would be happy to have the 7 inch and 8 inch displays now being offered I cannot imagine fitting them on a glider panel with all the other stuff I would still want, and 5.6 inches is big enough for my eyes. I find that the LX9000 is an integrated device which does everything well, and with no disadvantages if you are prepared to do a bit of work on the setup.

The LXNavigation Zeus seems to do all the same things as the LX9000 but is a much less well proven product.

In an expensive new glider it may be worth investing in these high end systems, and I expect you would be happy with either Clearnav or LX9000. However, I find it difficult to justify the price difference from eg a v7/Oudie combination (or for even less money XC Soar running on a cheap device) with the logger choice depending how you want to get your Flarm data.

Good luck choosing, and do report back.

Mark Burton, London Gliding Club, UK

Old January 16th 14, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nice to hear good things about the 8000/8080/9000 family as I've just dropped a bundle on one as part of installing Powerflarm for 2014.

I got the version which uses the Powerflarm as the GPS source and logger. Too bad they don't make a version with the North American Powerflarm system built in like they do with the European Flarm.

It felt strange, dropping that kind of money into an old ASW-15b but what the hell. More gliders where I fly are being outfitted with Flarm, the transponder and ADS-B display will be useful, my Colibri battery died so it would have needed to go back to a dealer for replacement and reset of the security switch and the Peschges VP-4E that was in the glider (still working well) deserved a rest.