Garmin 296 and FliteStar

Old June 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
Rich Raine

Default Garmin 296 and FliteStar

I recently bought a Garmin 296 and found I can not upload route or data from
the 296 to Flitestar. The Garmin 295 worked flawlessly. I have the serial
cable and the USB cable. Neither one will allow this transfer.

Does anyone have any better experience? If not beware...I wouldn't have
upgreaded to the 296 if I knew I could not make this upload.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Rich Raine
Rich@ eRaine.com

Old June 2nd 04, 07:40 AM
C J Campbell

"Rich Raine" wrote in message
I recently bought a Garmin 296 and found I can not upload route or data

from
the 296 to Flitestar.

You may need to change the transfer setting on the GPS from "Advanced NMEA"
to "NMEA," or vice versa.

The manual that Garmin wrote for this unit is despicable. You can't find
anything in it. The manual also contains several inaccuracies.

The 296 itself is beautiful, light weight, and it works very well. It is
missing a few features the 295 had, notably the RMI indicator option. I am
getting about 7 hours of battery life out of a charge.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:41 PM
John Bell

The manual that Garmin wrote for this unit is despicable. You can't find
anything in it. The manual also contains several inaccuracies.

The 296 itself is beautiful, light weight, and it works very well. It is
missing a few features the 295 had, notably the RMI indicator option. I am
getting about 7 hours of battery life out of a charge.

CJ,

I don't have a 296, just a 196. However, I have played with the 296. If
you go to the HSI page and press menu, you can change the HSI BUG to
indicate BEARING. This essentially gives you an RMI and HSI combined into
one. If I remember correctly the pointer on the EFIS option is BEARING,
which makes it a big RMI for the arc that it covers.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

Old June 3rd 04, 02:31 PM
Dan Luke

"C J Campbell" wrote:
The manual that Garmin wrote for this unit is
despicable. You can't find anything in it. The
manual also contains several inaccuracies.

My big complaint is that I cannot slew the map pointer to an airport and
create a user waypoint on a runway as I could with the 295. If I try,
the 296 will simply create another waypoint at the airport datum point.
One of my favorite tricks with the 295 was creating a waypoint at the
approach end of a runway, selecting "direct" to the point and setting
the GPS OBS for runway heading. This gave me an extended runway
centerline that was helpful with visual approaches. Can't do it with
the 296 unless I'm sitting on the runway.

Another thing: the flight recorder feature has a bug in it that causes
it to record spurious landings. For example, when I flew from Mobile to
Pinckneyville, IL it said I made 10 landings enroute. On almost every
flight it has recorded phantom landings. Garmin says this is due to
momentary loss of satellite reception, but I doubt it. I've kept a
watch on the GPS status page and never seen fewer than six strong
satellites.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 3rd 04, 04:58 PM
C J Campbell

In any event, Flitestar will not talk to any GPS on a USB port. This is
fairly typical of Jeppesen.

The 296 uses a different type of serial cable which I do not have. However,
it seems to communicate well with Mapsource software, which brings up
another irritation: when I installed the trip manager that comes with the
296 it destroyed all the licensing information for other Mapsource products.

Old June 5th 04, 01:27 AM
C J Campbell

Jeppesen Tech Support has this to say about Flitestar and USB ports:

Christopher,

Flitestar 9.0 does support USB connections, usually through I/O Gear 9-pin
serial to USB converters. Not all serial converters function well with
Flitestar. The I/O Gear unit seems to be one of the best ones currently on
the market.

-Scott @ Jepp Tech Spprt

"Christopher J Campbell" on 06/03/2004 10:21:22 AM

To: PcTechSupport

cc: (bcc: Scott Kiefer/Jeppesen/TMC)

Subject: USB support for GPS

Now that GPS units are using USB connections and many laptop computers don't
even have a serial port, when will Flitestar begin supporting USB
connections to the GPS?

Christopher Campbell

Old June 5th 04, 06:00 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Jeppesen Tech Support has this to say about Flitestar and USB ports:

Christopher,

Flitestar 9.0 does support USB connections, usually through I/O Gear 9-pin
serial to USB converters. Not all serial converters function well with
Flitestar. The I/O Gear unit seems to be one of the best ones currently on
the market.

-Scott @ Jepp Tech Spprt

So nice of them to be five or six years behind the technology curve..

"Christopher J Campbell" on 06/03/2004 10:21:22 AM

To: PcTechSupport

Old June 16th 04, 03:04 PM
Bill Padley

Hi there

I have just received my Garmin 296 , and also have the IOgear usb to serial
adapter
However , the cable provided by Garmin is a small connector on one end , and
a usb on the other..the usb to serial adapter is expecting a the serial end
to be plugged ito the GPS, which of course it cant...(no serial female
socket)

has anyone got the GPS 296 to talk to Jeppesen Flitestar , and if so how did
you connect it?

many thanks

Bill Padley
London

To: PcTechSupport

Old June 16th 04, 08:10 PM
Dave Butler

Bill Padley wrote:
I have just received my Garmin 296 , and also have the IOgear usb to serial
adapter
However , the cable provided by Garmin is a small connector on one end , and
a usb on the other..the usb to serial adapter is expecting a the serial end
to be plugged ito the GPS, which of course it cant...(no serial female
socket)

I didn't quite follow that description, but if what you need is a serial
gender-changer, they are quite inexpensive and available. Check your local
computer supply store.

Old June 17th 04, 07:32 AM
Bill Padley

Dave..

I didnt explain well..g
There was a thread here previously to say that Flitestar did not work well
with USB gps connections, only serial ..A serial to USB converter
(theIOGEAR) was recommended ..all good so far...

However garmins output from the 296 is on a very small connector (like a
camera firewire connector) -on the other end is a usb plug ..how can the
serial to USB converter be used when there is no serial connector on the
garmin?
How does the serial to usb converter actually get to the garmin?
that was my question...I believe some people have it working with Flitestar
, but I have no idea how!

cheers

Bill Padley
london