More sad news

Old June 17th 15, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More sad news

sorry to say that we have lost another great pilot and great human being unfortunately Rick Walters passed away yesterday after being involved in a bicycle accident here in Nevada
Old June 17th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 4:39:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
sorry to say that we have lost another great pilot and great human being unfortunately Rick Walters passed away yesterday after being involved in a bicycle accident here in Nevada

A great pilot
Outstanding competitor
Huge contributor to our sport.
A terrific friend
I'd hoped he would fly my glider in Elmira this summer
I will miss him greatly
Soar high and long old friend
UH
Old June 17th 15, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Incredibly sad news. Rick was a such a presence in soaring - avid, incredibly capable, warm and engaging to all who crossed his path, encyclopedic in his knowledge of sailplane racing history, a good friend who I wish geography could've made closer. Adagio for Strings tonight at top volume, and warm memories
DJ
Old June 17th 15, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

So long old friend. I have always admired your talent, knowledge and warmth shown to others. You will be missed by many.
A8
Old June 18th 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

I met Rick exactly once many years ago, in the basement of a friend's house,
after my friend phoned me to come over and meet Rick Walters "who's working on
my DG-200," doing a minor composite repair. I knew who Rick was through
"Soaring" magazine and may even have been vaguely aware of his composite
skills. The call astounded me twice, once because my friend hadn't used
available local talent, and again that "so much a name" as Rick Walters would
journey to Colorado for such a minor task as he was working on...so minor I've
long forgotten what it was.

Were it not for the excuse of visiting my friend and communing with him over
his ship, I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to simply drop by "to meet
Rick Walters." In the soaring world he was nationally known by then - may even
have been a national champion - but no fly on the wall would ever have learned
that during my visit. Repair aside, mostly the three of us talked about
soaring, comparing his/our local aspects of...field, nature of participants,
XC, etc.

What I mostly remember of the visit was how unassuming Rick was, and how he
was content to focus on why he was there and soaring in general, and not "who
he was." He struck me as a multi-talented, decent person. Sincere condolences
to his family and friends...

Bob W.