Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

Old January 4th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Default Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

Mxsmanic,

People who wish to seem informed and
make the mistake of talking about things they don't really know that
well often become extremely defensive when they are called on their
ignorance, and they rapidly resort to personal attacks in an attempt
at self-defense

You understand yourself better than I thought.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 4th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 01/03/07 22:09, M wrote:
I've never heard the requirement of having a book of FAR/AIM for a ramp
check.

These days you can read the entire FAR/AIM online. I don't see the
need for a hard copy anymore.

As far as "all available information" goes, how many pilots have the
current VFR chart update Bulletins?

Do you mean the one that come in the A/FD? I do ;-)

Each time the A/FD comes out, I read through that section as well as
others, and I keep it with me while I fly.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 4th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I may have all of you beat...I've flown, repeatedly, in fog with 50' of
visibility, about 10' above the trees and 5' or less above the ground.
No IFR ticket, either.

Well, I fly all the time. Sometimes I use an airplane. And I'm always
in a fog.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

Same thing in France. The minimum height above ground was raised from
150 to 500ft a few years ago because of deadly accidents.

Feet or meters?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

How in the world were you able to get 10' above the trees and still remain
5' or less above the ground?

Actually there's a spot in Calfornia where the trees are grown ten or
twenty feet underground, so it's not so farfetched as it sounds.

Of course, that spot would have to be in California!

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old January 4th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Duncan writes:

- did you see your instructor switch the transponder to standby?

Would he still be in radar contact below 100 feet AGL?

If the transponder is on Standby, Primary return would still appear, but
information provided by the Mode C Transponder (altitude, squawk code, etc.)
would not. Primary return is just the radar signal bouncing off the
aircraft, the other information is "broadcast" by the transponder when it is
"interrogated"

Old January 4th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...
How in the world were you able to get 10' above the trees and still
remain 5' or less above the ground?

Actually there's a spot in Calfornia where the trees are grown ten or
twenty feet underground, so it's not so farfetched as it sounds.

Of course, that spot would have to be in California!

Jose

Cannabis trees don't count : )

Allen

Old January 4th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

BTW, the answer to the subject line,
Absolute lowest altitude, is below sea level in Death Valley
and above 10,000 feet [3,000 meters] over the mountains.

Old January 4th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

"Jim Macklin" wrote:
Absolute lowest altitude, is below sea level in Death Valley

True for North America. But the Dead Sea is lower:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001763.html

Dead Sea, Israel-Jordan, 1,349 ft. below sea level (–411 m)
Death Valley, Calif., 282 ft. below sea level (–86 m)

I'm not sure what aircraft was first to fly into the Dead Sea area to take
honors for the first lowest flight ever, but I know the Graf Zeppelin did
it in 1929, going to about 1000 feet below sea level. It didn't even need a
snorkel! :-)