Pegasus Service Life?

Old September 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
El Alumbrado

Default Pegasus Service Life?

I've heard a rumor that there is a pending resolution to the Pegasus Service
Life issue. Does anybody know anything?

Thanks,
Bill

Old September 19th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 19, 1:04 pm, "El Alumbrado"
wrote:
I've heard a rumor that there is a pending resolution to the Pegasus Service
Life issue. Does anybody know anything?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Do you own a Pegasus? The SSA sent out a letter last month to all
registered Pegasus owners requesting information on the number of
hours they have on their ship. If you didn't get the letter then
chances are your registration with the FAA is incorrect - and so far
only 61% have responded. In that letter we stated:

As you may be aware by now, Centrair has been less than forthcoming in
resolving the life limits issues which affected all US Pegasus owners
when the FAA issued Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2005-24-01, despite
statements made to the FAA over 20 months ago that they would.

To date, the SSA has expended a significant amount of time in
discussions with the FAA in attempting to modify this AD and extend
the life limit of these airframes beyond 3000 hours. We have been
frustrated by the lack of response from Centrair, who we have
attempted to contact directly, and we have also been surprised by lack
of a significant response from the European regulatory agencies which
also should have been able to resolve this.

Recent events indicate that unless we can show that there is a
significant economic impact (beyond that listed in the AD) to the
Pegasus fleet, we may not resolve this issue in the near future. To
that end, we need to gather information from the owners to help us
make the case that the underlying economic assumptions listed in the
AD are overly conservative.

Without going too deep into the issues underlying the problem here,
I'll just state that based on discussions with the FAA in the last 6
weeks, I doubt a resolution is near.

Stephen Northcraft, Chairman
SSA Government Liaison Committee

Old September 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fbrahic

Apparently the San Jose FSDO has a procedure for flipping the Pegasus
to an experimental registration that allows you to fly past 3000
hours. Contact BASA (www.flybasa.org) for more info.

Old September 20th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
65E

wrote:

I've heard a rumor that there is a pending resolution to the Pegasus Service
Life issue. Does anybody know anything?

Thanks,
Bill

Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access- Hide quoted text -

It would be interesting to hear how the San Jose FSDO is accomplishing
the life limit extension.

I had been interested in buying a Pegasus and approched the FSDO in
Indianapolis for information on exactly the same issue, Using the
Experimental certification to overcome the Life Limit. I was told by
FSDO personnel that the Life Limit would remain the same no matter how
the aircraft was certified.

Though there is sometimes enough differences between FAA Offices and
Inspectors interpretation of the regs that one FSDO may do something
that another would not.

Craig

Old September 20th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

I've heard a rumor that there is a pending resolution to the Pegasus Service
Life issue. Does anybody know anything?

Thanks,
Bill

Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access- Hide quoted text -

It would be interesting to hear how the San Jose FSDO is accomplishing
the life limit extension.

I had been interested in buying a Pegasus and approched the FSDO in
Indianapolis for information on exactly the same issue, Using the
Experimental certification to overcome the Life Limit. I was told by
FSDO personnel that the Life Limit would remain the same no matter how
the aircraft was certified.

Though there is sometimes enough differences between FAA Offices and
Inspectors interpretation of the regs that one FSDO may do something
that another would not.

Craig- Hide quoted text -

There has been discussion with the FAA regarding the use of
experimental certification of the Pegasus to exceed the life limit.
One risk is that once you go that route, you may not be able to go
back to STD certification easily if the issue is resolved.

Be aware that if you go to your FSDO and say "the XX FSDO is doing
this...." there is an equal probability that either your FSDO will do
the same or they will contact the XX FSDO and XX will cease doing it.
So be careful what you say and how you say it, the guys in the XX FSDO
region will thank you.

SN

Old September 20th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

fbrahic wrote:
Apparently the San Jose FSDO has a procedure for flipping the Pegasus
to an experimental registration that allows you to fly past 3000
hours. Contact BASA (www.flybasa.org) for more info.

Actually, just contact the San Jose FSDO. Since I'm the BASA guy who
talked to the FSDO, you can cut out the middle man. :-)

BASA hasn't actually done this. We sold one Pegasus overseas already
and are planning to fly the other two for several more years.

It wasn't until I called to ask about paperwork for export that they
mentioned being able to do the conversion. Apparently they've done
several already. My faint recollection is that you just needed a bit of
paperwork and some time with a local DAR to get it done.

Jeremy

Pegasus 3000 Hour Life Limit AD [email protected] Soaring 1 April 23rd 07 11:35 PM
Pegasus Life limit update Mark628CA Soaring 2 April 7th 06 04:23 AM
Pegasus life limit 01-- Zero One Soaring 3 April 4th 06 02:20 PM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Pegasus life limit 01-- Zero One Soaring 0 March 30th 06 10:25 PM