szd 55-1

Old March 19th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gsoar

Default szd 55-1

Hello,
I would like to get opinions regarding the szd 55-1. What I have
heard so far is that it tends to drop a wing when there is a bit of a
crosswind on take off but, is this more common with this glider than
other high performance standard class gliders? The gentleman I spoke
with had 4 aborted take offs in 50 flights and he has 6X the amount of
time as I do. Is this something that should be avoided in a 150h
pilot going from Grobs? It has also been commented to me that it is
"a high performance glider that really demands your concentration at
all times." While I try to pay attention most of the time, sometimes
I like to take in the view, is this glider too hot to handle
especially on landing for a run of the mill pilot? My goal is fun,
non contest (other than OLC), cross country. While I like vegetables,
I have no interest in picking them. I also would like to buy
something that I won't have to worry about refinishing in the near
future and is not something that will require too much in the
maintenance area. I don't want to be too anxious while I participate
in my recreation! Oh, the LS4 I responded to on W&W was sold in 15
minutes.

Thanks
Old March 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Hi,
I can give you a very biased opinion as I have owned one for the last
thirteen years.
They are a joy to fly and sometimes, more importantly, a joy to rig
too!
I also had heard that the wing drops on take off as the ailerons
aren't effective until you get some airspeed over the wings. This has
never been an issue and I have never had to abort a take off because
of it. If the wing does drop I find that a bootful of opposite rudder
will put you back on track in no time and by this time you will have
full aileron authority again. This 'sometimes' happens in a no
headwind situation but not very often.
It might also be mitigated if you have a nose hook which mine does
not. Aerotowing with a CG hook has also never been a problem.
As long as you are comfortable with the Grob and keeping a constant
approach speed in a glass ship, I think it would make an ideal choice
for someone with your experience. I find it handles nicely with no
vices as far as I can see.
Mine is a 1992 model and this winter I took the rudder off to 'polish
out' some crazing in the paint but other than that I have no reason to
think that it is in need of a refinish any time soon.
Do a search on this newsgroup and you will find that there has been a
few comments concerning this glider and you find that it is mainly
positive.

Regards,

Bob 7U

Old March 19th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also biased as an owner for 6 years.....

I agree on the wing drop, and rudder corrects it in time. I have both
hooks. Have never aborted due to wing drop. It is the only thing I
wish I could change. I have the air dams at the inboard end of each
aileron, always been there, they do not seem to help.

I find it has no other bad habits. It just seems to do everything
expected of it with no surprises. But I fly a lot and lower time
pilots may have different habits. I have to remember to practice a
stall from time to time. Mine has the stall warning on the ASI. Be
sure what you buy has the equipment required by the Type Certificate
for your country. Some (USA??) lack the ASI warning.

I disagree with 'really demands your concentration at all times'.... I
cannot imagine what that person means, unless one day he did something
real stupid and now wants to blame the ship. That said, I am not sure
you EVER want to drop 100% concentration in the air. But, since he
said it to warn or scare you, I would just say I feel no need for any
change in concentration versus a 2-33, 1-26 or a Puchacz.... remain
aware at all times in all aircraft.

It is roomy enough. (5'10", 200 lbs.) and lots of leg room.

They used both a factory made canopy and Mecaplex, the factory canopy
has a slight flat spot you will notice only if you see each side by
side. So ask.

It is a joy to (self) rig, and no one objects to helping after they
realize how light the wings are.

It has plenty of airbrake and slips nicely.

It likes some water on every flight. or lots, depending on conditions.
Some say it is too light, but that is a great attribute if you live
where conditions are not always strong, you may float back home more
readily. If you never get light conditions you might not like putting
on the water.

Structurally it is a but light/weaker in the tail boom and around the
wheel than some ships I am told, so a very bad landing may cause grief
where some stronger ships might take the abuse.

It has the prettiest wing plan form in the air I think. A factory
attempt at tips showed very little or no improvement. A friend tried
them. I flew against it and saw nothing worth all the work... and they
spoiled the nice shape!

I am seeing gel coat cracking on both wings. 1995. 2000+ hours.

Yes, the quality of nuts and bolts leaves a bit to be desired since
they can discolor at times.

Don't squeeze hard on the rudder surfaces, you may leave dimples.

I find some who have owned one, or were a dealer, have had some small
negative things to say, but to balance that I know no one who owns one
saying "I'd like to sell this thing". I know one pilot just bought one
here, another is looking.... they have a following, resell quickly
when priced properly and of course are being built new. Lots of OLC
logs to review, up to 1,010 KM this year.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Old March 22nd 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bubba

I owned one for 2 years and put many flights on it. There was another
at our club as well and I believe the owners would have similar
comments. Roomy, well behaved, climbs well, great factory support, not
top of the line competitive, but the gap may have closed a bit now that
standard class can go above 9#.
As far was wing drop: Out of all my flights, maybe 3 drops only on take
off going through tow plane's propwash. I always flew on the CG hook
and the wing came immediately back up in about 1 second. The wing drop
is so infrequent that it is not a big deal. Also, never had the wing
drop on landing.
Great dump valves as they are large and don't leak as SH gliders.
Good glider for the money and your friends will stay friends as the
wings are light and easy to rig.

Old March 23rd 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael McNulty[_2_]

Wing dropping has not been a problem for me when flying dry. Ocassionally
happened to me when carrying water. As others have said, use the rudder to
correct for it. I also found that trimming a bit forward (or just pushing a
little) for the takeoff helps alot, in that getting the tail up faster
allows the rudder to correct any drop. (Untill the tail wheel is off the
ground the rudder doesn't help.) With this technique the wing drop became a
non-issue for me.

Overall, flys great. Will climb as well as just about any modern glass
ship. Looking out and back at the nice swept tips over the scenery makes a
pretty picture.

I have not found the stall to be anything unusual.. My only glass time
before the SZD was a fair amount of Grob103 time, a few ASK21 flights, and
one G102 flight. I have found it a joy to fly and had no stress or troubles
moving into it. Landings are easy.

Old March 24th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

On Mar 19, 8:45*am, Gsoar wrote:
[...]

Most of opinions like that would come from pilots who have not idea
about the glider. The 55 will fly with all of the best "standard
class" gliders and would actualy come ahead of them if flown by a
good, competition oriented pilot. Everythying else is just a horse%
$#@!!!!!!

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old March 24th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Mar 19, 3:45*pm, Gsoar wrote:
[...]

Have you talked to your CFI, or someone who knows your flying well?
Also, how good a pilot is the gentleman you talked to? That's not
quite the same as how many hours he has.

Whatever you get, be prepared for getting to grips with it when you
start flying it. I found that changing to my own glider from the club
ones found the weakest parts of my flying...

Old March 27th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 24, 4:24*am, Cats wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:45*pm, Gsoar wrote:

[...]

ones found the weakest parts of my flying...- Hide quoted text -

I'm certain that it's actually the GLIDER that gets better. My Speed
Astir was an ill handling pile of parts when I bought it. It has
improved greatly over the past 400 hours. ;-)