WGC 2008 TP radius?

Old August 7th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default WGC 2008 TP radius?

Anyone know what is the TP radius for assigned speed (racing) tasks at
Lusse? Is it posted on the official site somewhere?

Andy
Old August 7th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 23:29 06 August 2008, Andy wrote:
Anyone know what is the TP radius for assigned speed (racing) tasks at
Lusse? Is it posted on the official site somewhere?

Andy

I would have to assume 500m radius
Old August 7th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

On Aug 7, 12:29*am, Andy wrote:
Anyone know what is the TP radius for assigned speed (racing) tasks at
Lusse? *Is it posted on the official site somewhere?

The rules for World Championships are in Annex A to the Sporting
Code,
see http://www.fai.org/gliding/sporting_code/sc3a

Many other competitions also use these rules, to save the organisers
making separate rules.

On TP radius, Annex A says:

7.5 TURN POINTS AND ASSIGNED AREAS
7.5.1 The Observation Zone for a GNSS Turn Point shall be a cylinder
of radius 0.5 km, centered on the turn point.

Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK
Sent during the UK 20m National Championships
Old August 7th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 7, 1:56*am, Ian Strachan wrote:
7.5 TURN POINTS AND ASSIGNED AREAS
7.5.1 The Observation Zone for a GNSS Turn Point shall be a cylinder
of radius 0.5 km, centered on the turn point.

Thanks to both of you. We use 0.25 statute mile in US and that is a
smaller radius.

Andy
Old August 7th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 7, 5:42*am, Andy wrote:
*We use 0.25 statute mile in US and that is a
smaller radius.

John Good's blog now has the explanation I, and I'm sure many other US
pilots, had been waiting for.

http://www.usteamluesse2008.blogspot.com/

0.5sm is of course larger than 0.5Km.

Tough way to lose points.

Andy
Old August 7th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 7, 8:42*am, Andy wrote:
On Aug 7, 1:56*am, Ian Strachan wrote:

7.5 TURN POINTS AND ASSIGNED AREAS
7.5.1 The Observation Zone for a GNSS Turn Point shall be a cylinder
of radius 0.5 km, centered on the turn point.

Thanks to both of you. *We use 0.25 statute mile in US and that is a
smaller radius.

Andy

US turnpoint radius for MAT and AST is now 1 mile which is intended to
reduce meaningless penalties for small misses and slightly spread the
fleet at the turn for , hopefully, enhanced safety.
Cheers
UH
Old August 7th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 7, 9:22*am, wrote:
US turnpoint radius for MAT and AST is now 1 mile which is intended to
reduce meaningless penalties for small misses and slightly spread the
fleet at the turn for , hopefully, enhanced safety.
Cheers
UH

Oops. I forgot that change, probably because I haven't flown a
contest for over a year. Brain reverted to old memories. Thanks for
the correction.

Andy
Old August 8th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

On Aug 7, 1:42*pm, Andy wrote:

We use 0.25 statute mile in US

Question:

What is a US Statute Mile in terms of feet or metres?
The term "Mile" is ambiguous. There are lots of different "miles",
for instance there are theoretically an infinite number
of different lengths of Nautical Mile ....

But only one definition of a Metre, and therefore a Kilometre.

This is one reason why IGC has always used metric units
for International definitions (Badge distances, for instance),
and science uses the SI system which is basically metric
(I stand by to be corrected on this statement).

Ian Strachan
Old August 8th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Ian,

The term "Statute" clarifies the type of "miles". It is different from a
nautical mile. US Contests use Statute Miles because Americans are used to
driving distances in statute miles. You can find conversions he
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Like many Americans - I prefer the metric system as well. Much of my
college engineering education was done using metric units.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old August 8th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Ian,

Paul didn't really answer your question. A Statute Mile in the USA is
defined as 5,280 feet. The Nautical Mile length in feet isn't as
clear, as you point out. I've seen 6,080 feet, 6,076 feet and 6000
feet.

-John

Lexan Bend Radius J.Kahn Home Built 10 December 7th 06 04:09 PM
$100 hamburger radius Stubby Piloting 30 November 13th 06 11:46 PM
Why small radius collects ice faster? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 13 March 25th 04 04:38 PM
Minimum bending radius for 0.050" 6061-T6? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 11 February 5th 04 04:59 PM
RV trailing edge radius is... guynoir Home Built 0 July 1st 03 07:32 AM