Polarized Instrument Display

Old May 5th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Polarized Instrument Display

I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

Rick

Old May 5th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rick,

You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
incorrect polarization on the display. You need to determine which is
your problem child. Don't be too sure that one is the culprit over the
other. Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with
some of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the
wrong polarization. All of your LCD instruments should have similar
polarization.

Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it. With
everything with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the
LCD screens with your head oriented to the normalized position.

Regards,

Larry

-- zero one - USA

Old May 5th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Larry's right. I bought a pair of sunglasses last year at Sears and
one lens had the polorization 1 way and the other at 90 degrees. Did
wierd things to perspective and computer screens (eg WinPilot). I
opted for a full refund.........
MB

"Rick" wrote in message

I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

Rick

--BF4ED55A-EB55-438D-98B5-964CA6D1D8B8

html xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:word" xmlns:st1="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"

head
meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"
meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)"
o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"
name="place"/
o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"
name="country-region"/
!--[if !mso]
style
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
/style
![endif]--
style
!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:Papyrus;
panose-1:3 7 5 2 6 5 2 3 2 5;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
p.MsoEnvelopeReturn, li.MsoEnvelopeReturn, div.MsoEnvelopeReturn
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Papyrus;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{colorurple;
text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-typeersonal-compose;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
--
/style

/head

body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple

div class=Section1

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Rick, o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
incorrect polarization on the display.  You need to determine which is
your problem child.  Don’t be too sure that one is the culprit over
the other.  Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with
some of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the wrong
polarization.  All of your LCD instruments should have similar
polarization.  o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it.  With
everything with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the LCD
screens with your head oriented to the normalized position.o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Regards,o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'Larry  o/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'-- zero one –  st1:country-region w:st="on"st1lace
w:st="on"USA/st1lace/st1:country-regiono/o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'o /o/span/font/p

p class=MsoNormalfont size=3 face="Times New Roman"span style='font-size:
12.0pt'br
br
"Rick" > wrote in message
br
> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have foundbr
> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't seebr
> anything.  I can see it better if I turn my head and look
obliquely at itbr
> (not really practical).  I suspect the screen has a polarization
on thebr
> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.br
> br
> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for thisbr
> situation?  I really don't want to change glasses.br
> br
> Ricko/o/span/font/p

/div

/body

/html

--BF4ED55A-EB55-438D-98B5-964CA6D1D8B8--

Old May 5th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Early Cambridge 302's had the screen polarization 90 degrees off. If you
never use polarized sun glasses, you'd likely never know. Wear them, and all
the other LCD's look fine except for the dark 302! Later versions corrected
the problem. I sent mine in to get it fixed, which Cambridge did at no
charge as I had them calibrate it at the same time.

all the best,

bumper

Old May 5th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cambridge did the same for me, and it fixed the problem. They explined that
the polarization is in the cover glass for the LCD.
Some (many) "Pay-at-the-Pump" displays are invisible with my polarized
glasses

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old May 5th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rick wrote:
Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

As a quick check on whether the LX screen or your glasses are wrong, go
find a calm lake or pond. When the sun is reflecting off it at you, your
glasses should dramatically reduce the reflections from the water
surface. Both lenses should be the same.

This is because reflected light from a liquid surface is polarized by
being reflected (IIRC its horizontally polarized). The whole point of
polarized glasses is to cut this reflection, so if they don't do that
take them back and demand a refund.

Once you know the glasses are set up right its time to go check on the
LX screen.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 5th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rick,

I'm not sure what kind of sunglasses you have but I'm highly suspicious
of them.

I've had two LX5000s and now an LX7007. I've used several brands of
sunglasses and never had a polarization interference problem with any
of them.

~ted/2NO

Old May 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rick wrote:
I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

I have the same problem with my LX-5000.

I've tried 3 pairs of polarized glasses with the same result. But I
recently got a pair of non-polarized sunglasses just for flying. Life
is better...

Jeremy
Old May 11th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Jeremy Zawodny" wrote in message
news
Rick wrote:
I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

I have the same problem with my LX-5000.

I've tried 3 pairs of polarized glasses with the same result. But I
recently got a pair of non-polarized sunglasses just for flying. Life is
better...

Jeremy
Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with PDAs
in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses are the
things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the stress
lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference with LCD
displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.

Robin