Crosswind landing

Old June 7th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Crosswind landing

That is not a crosswind landing. It is or was the normal approach for Kai
Tak. I can't remember if it was buildings in the way or what precipitated
the requirement but it certainly had nothing to do with wind. Yes it looks
impressive, maybe thats why they are well paid, 'course it's a doddle
compared to landing on a carrier deck in heavy seas.

"DA" wrote in message
m...
Ron Webb wrote:

Are these guys good or what???

Old June 7th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dante wrote:
That is not a crosswind landing. It is or was the normal approach for Kai
Tak. I can't remember if it was buildings in the way or what precipitated
the requirement but it certainly had nothing to do with wind. Yes it looks
impressive, maybe thats why they are well paid, 'course it's a doddle
compared to landing on a carrier deck in heavy seas.

My CFI's first real landing of a 747 (as opposed to sim work) was at Kai
Tak as a Northwest first officer. Heck of a way to break in.
Old June 8th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Rich Ahrens wrote:
Dante wrote:
That is not a crosswind landing.

Near the beginning of the video there is a windsock in the frame.
I agree now that the crosswind component does not
seem that high. (Speaking as someone who last was a pilot
in the 70s!) I have seen that video before and I had believed
that the trouble was caused by a crosswing landing,

It is or was the normal approach for Kai
Tak.

Well hardly!

I can't remember if it was buildings in the way or what precipitated
the requirement but it certainly had nothing to do with wind.

I was a passenger into there twice. I can't recall the second one
but I do recall that on the first one (747) I was looking out of the
right hand window onto a skyscraper's balcony at a woman
hanging out her washing. She was very close. (A few hundred feet?)
The aircraft was banked quite steeply to the right at this time.

On the left there was a mountain. A big mountain.

I had a look for a while from the ground and the airliners
were just leveling the wings as they crossed the fence.
The fence was not far from the threshold. Just a couple of
seconds.

There was a big visual target (really, a big red and
white billboard) on the mountain and I
guess that the drill was to aim for it until a mark
or line was crossed and then to turn right at some rate
and hopefully come out (most of the time) pointing the
right way, This video shows that it did not always
come out exactly right.

Maybe you can have a look using Google Earth?

My CFI's first real landing of a 747 (as opposed to sim work) was at Kai
Tak as a Northwest first officer. Heck of a way to break in.

That wasn't him/her in the video? g

Old June 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On a side note, when I was discussing the Kai Tak approach with a neighbor
who is retired from Flying Tigers, he told me something interesting I didn't
know about 747's.

Apparently, when you touch down and the gear takes on the weight of the
aircraft, the spoilers automatically extend, planting it firmly on the
runway. This would seem to be a handy arrangement.

Rich S.

Old June 8th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hey! That WORKS!

Cool!

Save the following to a file *.kml and oopen it in Google
Earth to see the Kai Tek threshold.
The mountain is 1400ft and 2 miles away
pretty much on the extended centreline.

########### snip ################
?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0"
Placemark
nameTai Kek - threshold/name
LookAt id="khLookAt639"
longitude114.1855754172161/longitude
latitude22.33115115307646/latitude
range9224.606404125258/range
tilt4.617814675820289e-010/tilt
heading137.0698383241931/heading
/LookAt
styleUrlroot://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317/styleUrl
Point id="khPoint640"
coordinates114.1943674119204,22.32364675210839,0 /coordinates
/Point
/Placemark
/kml
########### snip ################

Old June 9th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article . com,

Rich Ahrens wrote:
Dante wrote:
[...]

I tried saving everything between the # signs and another including the
# signs and got an error message both times.
What am I doing wrong?
Old June 9th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote in message
On a side note, when I was discussing the Kai Tak approach with a neighbor
who is retired from Flying Tigers, he told me something interesting I

didn't
know about 747's.

Apparently, when you touch down and the gear takes on the weight of the
aircraft, the spoilers automatically extend, planting it firmly on the
runway. This would seem to be a handy arrangement.

Many Military aircraft have that same system including the A-6E and EA-6B
(they call it the "Flaperon Popup" system).