Interesting biplane project... look at the wing profile

Old December 2nd 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

Default Interesting biplane project... look at the wing profile

On eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260325125475

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 2nd 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
On eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260325125475

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Ooooooh-K....

Empty CG in front of the wing - and will only move forward when someone
sits on the seat? It's probably a good thing that he couldn't get it off
the ground...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 2nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&item=2603251....

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Ooooooh-K....

Empty CG in front of the wing - and will only move forward when someone
sits on the seat? It's probably a good thing that he couldn't get it off
the ground...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Actually, that is the proper way of setting up the aircraft. Just
about every pusher configuration aircraft is stability relaxed empty.
As soon as pilot is on board the cg moves forward and the aircraft has
a positive stability margin sufficient for safe flight (well most of
the time - LOL).

I am curious just how the cg is going to move forward other than
pilot, passengers, or cargo?
Old December 2nd 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Dec 1, 5:27*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile.

Nothing especially new there. It is a faceted surface. Lots of
'interesting' characteristics with regard to lift & drag.

But what really makes my hair stand on end is the empty weight. A tad
on the chubby side, in my opinion.

-R.S.Hoover
Old December 2nd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard[_8_]

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260325125475

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.

Why wold anyone think it flies?
Old December 2nd 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Craig[_2_]

On Dec 1, 8:44*pm, Richard wrote:
Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&item=2603251....

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.

Why wold anyone think it flies?

anybody got a match?

Craig
Old December 2nd 08, 10:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
MC[_3_]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------

Nothing especially new there. *It is a faceted surface. *Lots of
'interesting' characteristics with regard to lift & drag.

You mean not much lift for drag -right?

But what really makes my hair stand on end is the empty weight. *A tad
on the chubby side, in my opinion.

What did you expect from tarps for wing coverings?

Cheers

Old December 2nd 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260325125475

Item number 260325125475 if that URL doesn't work for you.

The thing I'm curious about is the wing profile. Sections like that
seem to work for the F-117 stealth fighter. But it seems a bit out of
place on this aircraft.

Thanks, Bob K.

Way to wierd to fly! Plus I can't imagine the thing would lift the nose
as the owner noted. 500# empty weight, 290 pound pilot and a 440cc
engine (which, if I recall, is about 35 HP)? That is one goofy shaped
airfoil for sub-sonic use (I'm making the assumption here that the thing
is designed to be sub-sonic!). I can't imagine getting too many bids on
that contraption...

Scott
Old December 2nd 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

This based on my experience with 'out of the box' models I have
designed.

1. With enough thrust, probably would get off ground if enough control
(elevator) to get a positive angle of attack. At a slow (relatively)
speed, lift might only consist primarily of "flat plate" (bottom of
airfoil).
2. Would only have normal flight characteristics with a POSITIVE angle
of attack. Drag with a positive angle of attack would of course
require more thrust.
3. As wing approached zero angle of attack, any slip stream variation
(gust, etc) would cause wing to tuck and flight would take an unknown
trajectory. (probably beyond recovery?).

Bottom line. Just an accident waiting to happen if gotten airborne.

Big John

Old December 2nd 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Richard" wrote

Why wold anyone think it flies?

It says right in the descriptions, that this is not intended to fly, but
driven in a parade, or as an advertising gimmick.

Overkill, is right.
--
Jim in NC