How good is a Garmin 95XL

Old July 18th 04, 01:31 PM
Slick

Default How good is a Garmin 95XL

What is it worth? I'm looking for a GPS that will tell me where airports
are, and when I am getting to close to Class B and C airspace. Anyone have
any experience with this model?

Old July 19th 04, 10:45 AM
Ludovic Launer

What is it worth? I'm looking for a GPS that will tell me where airports
are, and when I am getting to close to Class B and C airspace. Anyone have
any experience with this model?

Have you considered Winpilot (www.winpilot.com) and a GPS card in the PDA ?

Ludovic

Old July 19th 04, 03:20 PM
Herbert Kilian

"Ludovic Launer" wrote in message ...
What is it worth? I'm looking for a GPS that will tell me where airports
are, and when I am getting to close to Class B and C airspace. Anyone have
any experience with this model?

Have you considered Winpilot (www.winpilot.com) and a GPS card in the PDA ?

Ludovic

I agree very much with Ludovic. Do it right and investigate in a
proper package that will give you navigational AND final glide
information (and a lot more). Besides the commercial vendors that
offer such systems, here is an estimate for what you might need to
invest using sources such as ebay:

IPAQ 3955 (used) w. compact-flash sleeve $200
GPS-card receiver $90
WinPilot Advanced $249
External battery box IPAQ $20

That will set you back $555 but you'll have a fully functional system
to fly serious cross country. WinPilot even writes a flight log that
will allow you to analyze your flight and is accepted for certain
contests. You can later upgrade and connect to a certified flight
recorder.
Herb, J7
Old July 19th 04, 04:27 PM
For Example John Smith

With the right cabling, you can connect the 95xl to handhelds running glide
SW. A very functional and inexpensive solution.

With the 95xl alone, you can do what you're asking by creating proximity
alerts around airports.
om...

Old July 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Uri Saovray

(Herbert Kilian) wrote in message . com...
[...]

May I suggest a cheaper alternative:
Palm Vx (used) ~$60
GPS Sleeve for Palm V (Used) - $70 with mounting bracket and car battery adapter
SoaringPilot (priceless - like the famous credit-card ads)

see www.soaringpilot.org

Uri
4X-GJC
Old July 20th 04, 02:16 PM
Janos Bauer

Slick wrote:
What is it worth? I'm looking for a GPS that will tell me where airports
are, and when I am getting to close to Class B and C airspace. Anyone have
any experience with this model?

It's almost as big and heavy as a brick Pick a noname OM mouse type
GPS (100$) and a used or new palm with serial port (100$) if you would
like the most cost effective package for soaring... SUA, map view, final
glide, speed to fly, detailed track log, on task average speed, thermal
averager etc-etc.

/Janos
Old July 20th 04, 02:45 PM
Wayne Paul

Here is another GPS option that can be matched with any pocket computer you
may choose.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old July 21st 04, 08:13 AM
Janos Bauer

Best ones: Palm M500(B&W), M505, M515. Some people still use old/slow
Palm V models. If you don't have too much turnpoints and SUA data this
could work for you also, otherwise it's slow (1 frame/sec in map view).
M105(B&W), M125(B&W) will work also but the plastic body requires more
care. M135 is with color display but not as good under direct sunlight
as the previously mentioned models. It's the same for Zire 71 and the
latest Tungstens (T2,T3). If you can get a used tungsten T pay that
extra 50~100$.
Be careful, some new devices has only USB port! Tungsten E, Zire 21,
Zire 31, Zire 72.
I use soringpilot for three years and it's getting better and better!!
Regards,

/Janos

here are some screenshots and pictures about my first palm system:
http://bauerj.fw.hu/soarpilot
my OLC participation in this year:
http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...b 4cfa238fcd6