SPOT tracking test at 2009 Seniors

Old February 22nd 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

Default SPOT tracking test at 2009 Seniors

Mark Hawkins (OA) of Alburquerque, NM has created a cool web page for
real-time display of SPOT track/OK/help/911 messages from multiple
SPOT units, and Mark and I are interested in trying this out at the
Seniors.

The Hawkins SPOT tracking map displays an airplane symbol at the last
reported location for each participating SPOT unit, tagged with the
name assigned to the unit (the 'messenger name' in SPOT-speak). Mark
also hopes to implement the ability to show the task on the same map,
and to have distinct symbol coloring for the different SPOT messages
(track, ok, help, 911). All that is required for viewing the tracking
map is a PC with a web browser and an internet connection.

If you are planning to participate in the 2009 Seniors and you have a
SPOT messenger, we invite you to participate in the test. All that is
required is that you create a SPOT 'Share' page, and provide us with
the link. I recommend that you change the 'messenger name' associated
with your SPOT to your competition ID so all the map tags are
consistent and don't take up too much room. I recommend you sign up
for the tracking option, as that will produce automatic tracking
messages every 10 minutes. However, even if you don't have auto-
track , the lastest manually activated OK or Help message will still
be displayed.

If you don't have a SPOT, you might want to consider getting one. In
addition to the obvious safety advantages, your crew/friends/retrieve
desk will now be able to see your latest location and (should the need
arise) get directions to your landout location from Mark's SPOT
tracking web page, before you even call in.

If the Seniors test goes as well as I hope it will, I anticpate that
the 'Hawkins SPOT tracking map' will quickly become the standard for
all soaring contests.

If you are interested, post here or email me at 'paynter.5@
[remove_this]osu.edu

Regards,