Is there an archive of old posts?

Old December 27th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John in Burke, VA

Default Is there an archive of old posts?

I remember seeing recommendations for digital cameras. Since I laid mine my
Casio point & shoot down somewhere, I'm in the market for a new one. Thus,
is there an archive of the old posts? I purchased and tried the Panasonic
Lunex DMC-FZ18, but returned it because I don't like the flash results.
They were washed out. The Fugifilm Finepix F50fd looks like it might be
better alternative.

I guess the main questions is: Is the image stabilization at long zooms
sufficient to allow handheld use? My extremely limited experience with my
4x Casio 8 mega pixel camera was that a long stabile zoom would really make
a vast difference when shooting plane to plane.

So rather than ask people to go through it all again, is there an archive,
or does anyone have a copy of the thread?

Getting ready to solo this coming Spring (I hope)

Have a wonderful and safe holiday ...john in Burke, VA

Old December 27th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 27, 7:02 am, "John in Burke, VA" wrote:
I remember seeing recommendations for digital cameras. Since I laid mine my
Casio point & shoot down somewhere, I'm in the market for a new one. Thus,
is there an archive of the old posts? I purchased and tried the Panasonic
Lunex DMC-FZ18, but returned it because I don't like the flash results.

John,

If you're getting to rec.aviation.soaring via google, there's a
"search this group" button at the upper right. Type something like
"digital camera" in the box and it will give you links to articles
going back to the late '90's.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...g/topics?hl=en

Larry

Old December 27th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

John in Burke, VA wrote:
I remember seeing recommendations for digital cameras. Since I laid mine my
Casio point & shoot down somewhere, I'm in the market for a new one. Thus,
is there an archive of the old posts? I purchased and tried the Panasonic
Lunex DMC-FZ18, but returned it because I don't like the flash results.
They were washed out. The Fugifilm Finepix F50fd looks like it might be
better alternative.

I guess the main questions is: Is the image stabilization at long zooms
sufficient to allow handheld use? My extremely limited experience with my
4x Casio 8 mega pixel camera was that a long stabile zoom would really make
a vast difference when shooting plane to plane.

Because better cameras are introduced all the time, posts older than 6
months may miss the best choices. Here is a good site for selecting
possibilities and investigating them: dpreview.com. Older postings can
still give you a good idea of what makes a good in-flight camera.

Personally, I've used and very much like a wide angle (24mm to 28mm
equivalent). I think I'd like an optically stabilized, optical zoom to
150mm - 200+ mm for glider to glider shots, but I've never tried one. A
100 mm equivalent zoom means I have to get scary close to another glider
to take a good picture, so I rarely do it.

A large, bright, LCD screen seems to make glider/glider shots easier and
safer, but bright enough is hard to find. Big is easy, with LCDs of 3"
now available. Compact cameras with a veiwfinder seem to be vanishing,
but it solves the sunlight washout problem.

I prefer a compact camera. The Panasonic DMC-TZ3 is my current favorite,
but I won't make a decision until March. The larger cameras like the
FZ18 are more capable, but I don't like dealing with them in the cockpit.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on, and what the runners-up were.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old December 29th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think you should look at the Canon PowerShot A710.
7.1 MegaPixels
6x optical zoom with double that on digital zoom
large view screen
But, the best part is the image stabilization. It works.
I took photos of surfers at maximum zoom while standing on a windy
beach and they are very clear images. Impressive. Uses standard AA
batteries and has survived multiple drops on concrete.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

Old December 29th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Dec 28, 7:48 pm, wrote:
I think you should look at the Canon PowerShot A710.
7.1 MegaPixels
6x optical zoom with double that on digital zoom
large view screen
But, the best part is the image stabilization. It works.
I took photos of surfers at maximum zoom while standing on a windy
beach and they are very clear images. Impressive. Uses standard AA
batteries and has survived multiple drops on concrete.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

A good source for current and past reviews of digital cameras is
dpreview.com

Craig