GPS Handheld

Old November 12th 04, 10:13 AM
Kai Glaesner

Default GPS Handheld

Hello,

I, have a question about using a handheld GPS as a backup/situational
awareness tool during IFR flight: is there a handheld on the market that has
(apart from nav aids and intersections) any IFR-related navigational
infomation (routes, SID's, STAR's) in it's database?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Kai

Old November 12th 04, 02:15 PM
John Bell

I, have a question about using a handheld GPS as a backup/situational
awareness tool during IFR flight: is there a handheld on the market that
has
(apart from nav aids and intersections) any IFR-related navigational
infomation (routes, SID's, STAR's) in it's database?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Kai

I know that this capability is not available in the Garmin or Lowrance
handheld products. As the wording of your question seems to indicate, I am
sure that you are aware that you can build the arrival itself using the
navaids and intersection.

The handheld receivers do not even have the full approach. The Garmin GPS
receivers have the final approach leg.

In spite of these limitations, I think that a handheld GPS is an excellent
backup/situational awareness tool for IFR. Feel free to download my book at
www.cockpitgps.com.

John Bell

Old November 16th 04, 05:01 PM
Skip Guimond

Take a look at the products from Control Vision.
(www.controlvision.com) They use a PDF as the display and sell the
software. The product is outstanding and I have been using it for
several years. You an add uplink weather thru WX satelite as well as
Approach Plates (they call them Pocket Plates) which can be linked the
the moving map. Of course as a portable it is not certified--but a
great back-up and situationaly awaereness tool.

Skip