A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 19th 21, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Shelton[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 11:45:38 AM UTC-7, Gregg Ballou wrote:
New paragliding set ups cost as much as a nice 1-26. From what I last heard paragliding wasn't growing much but paramotoring(flying around slowly, not self launching to soar) is growing. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, just shows money and time is out there, and no one is using it to come play with us.

I have previously owned a 1-26B, and I more recently purchased my first paragliding setup (wing, harness, reserve, radio, helmet) very slightly used for $3k. Having extensively flown both, I'd personally rather fly the $3k paraglider. Many of us have a warm place in our hearts for vintage gliders, but we tend to over-estimate the appeal to teens.

Paramotoring has been popularized by Youtube, and by Tucker Gott in particular. Folks like Bruno Vassel are a true asset to our sport. How can we get more young people, such as Stefan Langer, to create amazing soaring content? Perhaps the SSA should be nurturing these individuals in some of the same ways that Youtube does.

Also, paramotors make it really easy to go for a flight after work. You don't need to join a club, cut grass, and spend the entire day at the airport. I believe that Americans are increasingly busy, which makes time-intensive activities harder to sell. Perhaps the remarks about motor gliders and online scheduling are correct?