Thielert (Diesel Engines)

Old February 15th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

Default Thielert (Diesel Engines)

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message
WingFlaps wrote:

I see your point and I think it's a good one. As I said before, I
smell the rat of marketing...

Cheers

You keep want to blame Marketing. Sure they may have said we need to have
an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided not to
have the limp home mode.

So, how would you arrange a "limp home" mode that avoided a low volts
problem, with electronic fuel injectors?

If you go to mechanical injectors, you lose the advantages inherent in
the electronic ones.

The only way, I can think of, is to add sources of power.

Al G

Old February 15th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Gig,

Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.

In a way, they do (if not in the way it used to be installed in the
DA42): the emergency battery. I guess what I'm trying to say is: This
engine is different than the old Lycs and TCMs. Doesn't mean it's worse.
Just different.

Nope

It's worse.

Bertie

Old February 15th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Al,

So, how would you arrange a "limp home" mode that avoided a low volts
problem, with electronic fuel injectors?

If you go to mechanical injectors, you lose the advantages inherent in
the electronic ones.

Ah, thank you!

Of course, as Bertie puts it, one could theoretically build alternative
injectors in, I guess. One could also plate the engine with gold. But, as you
say, an engine with electronic fuel injectors is an engine with ELECTRONIC
fuel injectors. The basis for the engine is a mass-production car engine.
That's what makes (may make) the engine viable in the market. And I still
fail to see how "mechanical" would somehow inherently be better or more
relaible than "electric". In fact, a common rail diesel has a much simpler
mechanical design than one with mechanical injectors - it is much less prone
to failure in that respect.

Interestingly, the SMA diesel is of the old style, with mechanical injectors.
It also has a mechanical emergency throttle. It also has gained zero traction
in the market, in large part due to its high price.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 15th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Thomas Borchert wrote in
:

Al,

So, how would you arrange a "limp home" mode that avoided a low volts
problem, with electronic fuel injectors?

If you go to mechanical injectors, you lose the advantages
inherent in
the electronic ones.

Ah, thank you!

Of course, as Bertie puts it, one could theoretically build
alternative injectors in,

Where did I say that you uberfjukktard?

Bertie
Old February 15th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

I'm never going to agree to a Diesel in an airplane unless they fix this
nonsense about it stopping when the tanks are empty.

Do you want to bet on such a flawed concept?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 15th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

David Lesher wrote in news:fp4ipr$q92$2
@reader2.panix.com:

I'm never going to agree to a Diesel in an airplane unless they fix this
nonsense about it stopping when the tanks are empty.

Which tank?

the liquid or the electron one?

bertie
Old February 15th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 16, 4:53*am, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
I see your point and I think it's a good one. As I said before, I
smell the rat of marketing...

Cheers

You keep want to blame Marketing. Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.

Interesting. Why would engineers decide that?

Cheers
Old February 15th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Peter wrote in
:

Thomas Borchert wrote

Why is it that each and every innovation in GA is met by people
spouting OWTs and made-up speculation, when a minute or two of simple
research would provide the facts? What picture does that paint of the
pilot population and their "hangar talk"? How about a simple "I don't
know and that's why I keep quiet on this" instead of spouting made-up
negatives? Sorry, but this is really annoying.

You need to calm down Thomas before jumping on people like this.

Dunno, I kinda like him this way. Pounding on his keyboard, teeth gritted,
veins standing out on his neck. Standing on tiptoe, even though seated, his
leg muscles trembling. It's a good look for him.

Bertie
Old February 15th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Feb 16, 6:28*am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
. And I still
fail to see how "mechanical" would somehow inherently be better or more
relaible than "electric". In fact, a common rail diesel has a much simpler
mechanical design than one with mechanical injectors - it is much less prone
to failure in that respect.

I don't think that's true. Look at the reliability of non-common rail
(old) diesels. Very high injection pressures give better atomization
but the piezos and nozzles take a hammering and ceramics do break.

Cheers
Old February 15th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
I see your point and I think it's a good one. As I said before, I
smell the rat of marketing...
Cheers

You keep want to blame Marketing. Sure they may have said we need to
have an easy to use FADEC system but it was the engineers that decided
not to have the limp home mode.

Interesting. Why would engineers decide that?

Cheers

Why would marketing?