Insuring a C310 vs. Piper Seneca

Old October 21st 04, 05:38 PM
Dave

Go to someone else. I know people without multi ratings at all are
being insured in C-310's. The tipoff is the Seneca vs. C-310
comparison - the C-310 is definitely a more demanding airplane.

Michael

I've been with my agent for a while, and she's pretty thorough. I'm
going to Action Multi Ratings in Groton, CT. Many other pilots I know
have gone through there. The training is all in a Seneca I for about
$1500, which includes books, ground school, wet rental, instructor and
the checkride. That's a good deal, in my opinion, especially because
there are at least 5 other pilots I know that did it and raved about
the program there.

I'd love to know the companies that are insuring twins to owners with
0 time, provisioning that they fly with an instructor for X hours.
They may have existed in the past, but I have a feeling they're far
and few between now, and probably have some pretty crappy premiums.
Old October 21st 04, 05:48 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Dave wrote:
: I'd love to know the companies that are insuring twins to owners with
: 0 time, provisioning that they fly with an instructor for X hours.
: They may have existed in the past, but I have a feeling they're far
: and few between now, and probably have some pretty crappy premiums.

Avemco will probably insure a person in this circumstance. A couple years
ago when I looked at Senecas, 310's and Twin Comanches I was quoted
insurance on all three types by Avemco. I had 300 TT, no complex or multi.
The quotes were very high, but not out of bounds considering my experience.
The Twin Comanche was highest ($7000), the 310 next ($4500), the Seneca
cheapest ($3800). Avemco said that I could expect those rates to drop
by about 50% with 100 to 200 hours of multi time in type. The quotes
were for $1M/$100k with $100k hull (I have no assets, so please don't
explain that those limits are too low.)
Although those quotes were within reason considering my experience they were
too high for me and I have not gone the multi route.
--
Aaron Coolidge
Old October 22nd 04, 12:38 AM
JerryK

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
I've got about 750 Total Time, 50 complex, 100 IFR. Private, IFR,
Commercially rated.

I have no multi time, but am about to go to a school to get it. They
estimate 10-12 hours in my log book when I finish my checkride. So,
in research mode I asked my agent to get me some rates on Senecas and
C310s in the $150-$175K range. She came back and said, even with an
instructor by my side, they won't insure me. Period. So, she asked
them at what hours would they insure me - here's what they gave her
(in the most vague of terms) -

Just a thought, but can you get your ME rating in the type of plane you are
interested in? I have a Cessna 340 and got my ME rating in a Cessna 310.
The insurnace company counted that time as "in type." Between the initial
ME rating, ME Commercial, and some pleasure flying in rentals I had about 75
ME with 35 in the 310 and 10 in the 340. That, and Flight Safety, were
enough to get me coverage in a cabin class twin. I could have easily gotten
insurance in a 310 without the Flight Safety training.

Jerry

Old October 22nd 04, 01:11 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I'd love to know the companies that are insuring twins to owners with
0 time, provisioning that they fly with an instructor for X hours.

Have you tried Avemco? They deal direct, not through brokers. The
disadvantage is that their prices are on the high side, but they seem
to be willing to write most risk. They have a long list of items
that will get you discounts, most (all?) of which can be pro-rated mid-
year. So if you plan to make a big jump in "insurability" (anything
from getting a hangar to completing a phase of Wings, getting your
IR or crossing a time in type mark) take a look at whether you'd be
better off going with Avemco and getting those discounts in 3-6 months
rather than waiting until renewal.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Howard

"Michael" wrote in message
For example, I bet if you call Travers, you will get coverage in a
Twin Comanche. No clue who to call on C-310 coverage, but if you join
the owner's group, they will know.

Michael

I'll get against that. The company that used to insure most of the Twin
Comanches for Travers is now no longer writing them. Most of them are
finding homes with new carriers, but some less-experienced pilots will find
it harder to get insurance on Twin Comanches than they used to.

Howard

Old October 23rd 04, 04:38 AM
Mark Manes

I had 1100 TT single engine and Instrument rating and 48 yrs old. I bought
a 310 in Oct 2001 with the intention of getting my ME Commercial rating (had
bypass surgery in Nov 2001) and ended up getting the rating in Sept 2002.
First year with no rating and no ME or Complex time was $6700, 2nd year with
70 hrs and ME Commercial & Instrument rating was $6500,3rd year with 200
hrs $3700 and this year with 400 hrs $3200. Starting out was limited to an
instructor with 25 hrs time in type (and a bunch of ME/complex time-750 hrs
I think). I had to have 25 hrs dual after getting the rating and a yearly
IPC. No required recurrent training (yet). I even asked if I would get a
break for recurrent training and they wouldnt say. Underwritten by
Aerospace 1st 2 yrs and now Aviation Markets

Mark Manes
N28409
WC5I

om...

Old October 27th 04, 03:29 PM
Dave

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...

Avemco will probably insure a person in this circumstance. A couple years
ago when I looked at Senecas, 310's and Twin Comanches I was quoted
insurance on all three types by Avemco. I had 300 TT, no complex or multi.

Got an Avemco quote after reading this. $8000 with 10 hours multi.
Requires 10 hours in type with instructor and a sign off from that
instructor. $150K hull.

I'm going to call and ask how that will decrease with more multi time.

That also doesn't factor in their King Schools safety program that
gives up to 10%.