Best place to get gliding lessons?

Old July 17th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Jardini

Default Best place to get gliding lessons?

try a leg bag to start.
Old July 17th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

On Jul 17, 12:30*am, Mark Jardini wrote:
try a leg bag to start.

But not with tight-fitting jeans.

Chris N.
Old July 17th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

In article ,
Jack Hamilton wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:24:30 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
wrote:

- What about the peeing arrangements?

As a student pilot with a small bladder, I'm interested in the answer to
that question. I'm learning in an ASK-21, and it seems to me that the
combination of a bucket seat and a 5 point seat belt makes a solution
difficult.

In my limited experience, nothing beats a dedicated tube with associated
medical-type fittings. Of course it's not always an option, but the
freedom to go as often as you need and drink as much as you can carry is
great.

For when that's not possible, I've had good experience with Travel John
products. They're plastic bags with funky gel stuff that absorbs the
liquid so it doesn't go all over the place. No idea how practical they
would be to use in an ASK-21 seat, but you can always experiment.... As
an added bonus, the TravelJohn bags also work great for when your (or
your passenger's) stomach contents attempt to leave the way they came in.

A few months ago, after a new passenger had taken an unexpectedly
turbulent flight, it was mentioned by one of the pilots that an ASK-21
takes about half an hour to clean out. I guess the glider was designed
for that kind of thing - my car, for example, would take much longer
than half an hour to clean out - so the solution doesn't have to be
completely spillproof.

We had a similar incident in my club a week or two ago, and it took
considerably more effort. Screwdrivers and wrenches were involved.
However, this was in the back seat, which may be worse for it.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 17th 10, 08:05 AM
EvValentin808 EvValentin808 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Norway
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu1a View Post
EvValentin808

Your second question (in the form of a changed subject) makes me
wonder if your original subjectquestion will be meaningfully
answered...

Where do you live? (country, region...)
Do you have any pilot ratings?

Answering this will allow people to make reasonable suggestions to you
for getting gliding lessons if you are actually looking into training
options. From your question though, it would seem that worrying about
which motorglider to buy might be a little premature at this stage...
not that I discourage dreaming ahead

-Paul
I come form Thailand and I don't have any pilot ratings yet. And the sport is "non-existent" here. And I'm worried because taxes are high here. For example, the Lamborghini Murcielago sportscar cost $250,000 in the US, here it exceeds a million dollars. Same story with aviation. And I need a self-launcher due to no tugs or winches(after I get the training).

And I have to go abroad to get lessons. And even after that, I would only be able to glide once a year, sadly... But in ways that I'm obsessed with the beauty of gliders, I want to glide many times a year. In ways, gliding may help with my maniac depression and if I only can really cure maniac depression and enjoy the clouds for once a year only, it might be tough to move on in life....
Old July 17th 10, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:

- What about the peeing arrangements?

This was aimed at used rather than new gliders - AFAIK there are no
relief tubes in new gliders but my Libelle has a fitting, installed by an
unknown previous owner, that lets me unplug a port behind the stick and
shove an exit tube down it and clear of the glider's underside. That sort
of system aside, the provision may simply be a pouch for storing freezer
bags.

As a student pilot with a small bladder, I'm interested in the answer to
that question. I'm learning in an ASK-21, and it seems to me that the
combination of a bucket seat and a 5 point seat belt makes a solution
difficult.

Indeed, hence the interest in external catheters and relief tubes.

Learning to match your drinking rate to your sweating and vapour
exhalation rate helps a lot too.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Iran: Pieces in Place for Escalation/"The fuel for a fire is in place" [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 January 21st 07 09:02 PM
Flying Lessons Steve Piloting 78 September 30th 05 10:55 PM
Where not to take sky-diving lessons. Stewart Kissel Soaring 2 June 5th 04 01:15 AM
Flight Lessons Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 122 October 8th 03 07:15 PM
Flight Lessons Charles Talleyrand Naval Aviation 3 August 4th 03 04:16 AM