A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US Handicap Weight Adjustment White Paper

Old January 30th 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default US Handicap Weight Adjustment White Paper

A new file has been placed in the Contest Rules and Process section of the SSA web site describing the study of the effect of flying weight on handicaps.
It shows the basis for the recently proposed rules change that will be effective in 2019.
It may be found at the top of the listing under important reading.
Thanks to Andy Blackburn for many hours on this project.
For the Handicap Subcommittee
UH
Old February 1st 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 12:22:20 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 4:47:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
A new file has been placed in the Contest Rules and Process section of the SSA web site describing the study of the effect of flying weight on handicaps.
It shows the basis for the recently proposed rules change that will be effective in 2019.
UH

Question for Hank. Why is the new handicap system even needed when the below pilots poll results wish differently?

9.1 Do you favor adopting the European Handicapping system?
(This system is currently use for OLC flights.)
Yes 114
60%
No 56
30%

Best #711.

A new handicapping "system" isn't needed. What is needed and addressed is the need no more accurately reflect the effect of weight change on XC speed, and thus, scores.
We did do a comparison of the German handicap list and found ours and theirs to be very similar with very few exceptions. The US list is more detailed in terms of variants of individual types and includes a number of ships not on the other list.
The US list also is integrated into the registration and scoring system. Wholesale replacement would involve considerable work for little if any benefit.
Our "system" also adjusts for weight changes. This is done at the FAI level only in Club and 20M (not in 20M at WGC).
UH
Old February 1st 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Leonard
external usenet poster

On 1/31/2019 6:03 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 12:22:20 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 4:47:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
UH

Question for Hank. Why is the new handicap system even needed when the below pilots poll results wish differently?

9.1 Do you favor adopting the European Handicapping system?
(This system is currently use for OLC flights.)
Yes 114
60%
No 56
30%

Best #711.

A new handicapping "system" isn't needed. What is needed and addressed is the need no more accurately reflect the effect of weight change on XC speed, and thus, scores.
We did do a comparison of the German handicap list and found ours and theirs to be very similar with very few exceptions. The US list is more detailed in terms of variants of individual types and includes a number of ships not on the other list.
The US list also is integrated into the registration and scoring system. Wholesale replacement would involve considerable work for little if any benefit.
Our "system" also adjusts for weight changes. This is done at the FAI level only in Club and 20M (not in 20M at WGC).
UH

Might also note that the OLC has two (at least, I don't know all the
scoring subcategories), one for distance and a second far more
compressed variant for the speed competitions. Which one was preferred
by the poll? Of course there is no one "European Handicapping system"
unless you think of dividing the performance by a handicap factor as
European and multiplying by a handicap factor as being the backwards US
system.

ZL
Old February 1st 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 6:47:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
UH

If we are going to go to this direction what about also Windicapping? You can read all the igc files for the hours of the competition and figure out what the average wind speed was. Measured data are better than predictions.
avg climb rates and or avg L/D is computable also.

The white paper on the weight adjustment looks like a step in the right direction.

Chris
Old February 1st 19, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

There is no "European handicaps", pretty much every country has it's own. You do know that Europe is not a country, do you?
Old February 1st 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting
external usenet poster

“There is no "European handicaps", pretty much every country has it's own. You do know that Europe is not a country, do you? “ says rsw

If you’re going to get nieprzyjemny, improve your grammar do you! “ tępak! “

R
Old February 1st 19, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robin Clark
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 10:19:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
UH

If we are going to go to this direction what about also Windicapping? You can read all the igc files for the hours of the competition and figure out what the average wind speed was. Measured data are better than predictions.
avg climb rates and or avg L/D is computable also.

The white paper on the weight adjustment looks like a step in the right direction.

Chris

Whenever I think about Windicapping, I think about poor Daniel Sazhin in a 1-26 on a ridge day.
Robin
Old February 1st 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

On 2/1/2019 8:02 AM, Robin Clark wrote:
snip...

Whenever I think about Windicapping, I think about poor Daniel Sazhin in a
1-26 on a ridge day.

Funny! You and Sebastian Kawa! Every time I've had my soaring butt handed to
me on a platter, I've always figgered I deserved it!

Bob - I'll go back to lurking, now - W.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Old February 1st 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 8:51:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:
UH

As a lightweight pilot flying a lightweight glider (i.e., at a W/Wref that is much below 1.0) I couldn't help but notice that the curves in the white paper only show weights higher than the reference weight (except for the Arcus M graph on page 5). I hope that the theory (and the proposed rule) generally work OK for weights lower than the reference weight.

Also, it seems to me that, for gliders on the low end of the wing loading range (within those that actually compete in contests), the differences in XC speed between gliders of same model due to weight variability are small relative to the differences between models due to weather factors such as wind and thermal height.

The answer to your questions are yes and yes.

The old weight adjustment formula was a linear approximation that didn't work especially well for large variations in W/Wref or for very high or very low Wref values, because it was; 1) a linear approximation and 2) centered on a single Wref value. The new one should be a better fit across a wider range of gliders and weights. We have not elected to pursue weather adjustments at this time, but it is being evaluated. PM me if you want to see some preliminary work on the subject.

To summarize, there is no single handicapping system that is: 1) perfectly equitable, 2) perfectly simple, 3) perfectly adapted to all soaring conditions.

It's true that there are a number of different handicapping schemes in use around the world. The primary issue we face in the US (though there are more than one) is the we have Sports Class which allows motor gliders, 2-seaters and a wide range of handicaps. If we want to continue to have Sports Class we need a more accurate and robust weight adjustment formula. It could be based on one of the base handicap systems in use in Europe (as UH mentioned, the US system is very similar) with a more robust weight adjustment formula if: a) that base system included all the relevant gliders (we could add to it if not) and, b) there was some analytical backup available for how the base handicaps are set (Wref in particular, but also the quadratic polar parameters would be nice as well as the Mc value that the handicap was centered on).

Alternatively, we could drop Sports Class or drop weight adjustments (which would lead to a lot of people flying with a bunch of fixed ballast and complaints about the equity/safety of such behavior I suspect). We've not opted for that because people seem to like Sports Class (see poll) and weight adjustments are more equitable, though not as equitable as weight plus weather adjustments (but at the expense of item 2) above). Again, we're looking at that, but it's an immense amount of work and will take time.

I'd add you can't typically take a single poll result and promote it as the definitive answer to a complex set of issues. If you read the full poll and comments in their totality, answers to many individual questions tend to contradict each other either in whole or in part. The answer on handicapping seems to be to not re-invent the wheel versus the rest of the world, but also to adapt global standards where necessary to preserve things we care about (e.g. Sports Class). We're working on that. This year is just a first step in doing some cleanup, but there is more to do - depending on how pilots want to trade off items 1), 2) and 3).

Andy Blackburn
9B
Chair, SSA Competition Rules Committee
Old February 1st 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 1:56:00 PM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 8:51:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:
UH

As a lightweight pilot flying a lightweight glider (i.e., at a W/Wref that is much below 1.0) I couldn't help but notice that the curves in the white paper only show weights higher than the reference weight (except for the Arcus M graph on page 5). I hope that the theory (and the proposed rule) generally work OK for weights lower than the reference weight.

Also, it seems to me that, for gliders on the low end of the wing loading range (within those that actually compete in contests), the differences in XC speed between gliders of same model due to weight variability are small relative to the differences between models due to weather factors such as wind and thermal height.

The answer to your questions are yes and yes.

The old weight adjustment formula was a linear approximation that didn't work especially well for large variations in W/Wref or for very high or very low Wref values, because it was; 1) a linear approximation and 2) centered on a single Wref value. The new one should be a better fit across a wider range of gliders and weights. We have not elected to pursue weather adjustments at this time, but it is being evaluated. PM me if you want to see some preliminary work on the subject.

To summarize, there is no single handicapping system that is: 1) perfectly equitable, 2) perfectly simple, 3) perfectly adapted to all soaring conditions.

It's true that there are a number of different handicapping schemes in use around the world. The primary issue we face in the US (though there are more than one) is the we have Sports Class which allows motor gliders, 2-seaters and a wide range of handicaps. If we want to continue to have Sports Class we need a more accurate and robust weight adjustment formula. It could be based on one of the base handicap systems in use in Europe (as UH mentioned, the US system is very similar) with a more robust weight adjustment formula if: a) that base system included all the relevant gliders (we could add to it if not) and, b) there was some analytical backup available for how the base handicaps are set (Wref in particular, but also the quadratic polar parameters would be nice as well as the Mc value that the handicap was centered on).

Alternatively, we could drop Sports Class or drop weight adjustments (which would lead to a lot of people flying with a bunch of fixed ballast and complaints about the equity/safety of such behavior I suspect). We've not opted for that because people seem to like Sports Class (see poll) and weight adjustments are more equitable, though not as equitable as weight plus weather adjustments (but at the expense of item 2) above). Again, we're looking at that, but it's an immense amount of work and will take time.

I'd add you can't typically take a single poll result and promote it as the definitive answer to a complex set of issues. If you read the full poll and comments in their totality, answers to many individual questions tend to contradict each other either in whole or in part. The answer on handicapping seems to be to not re-invent the wheel versus the rest of the world, but also to adapt global standards where necessary to preserve things we care about (e.g. Sports Class). We're working on that. This year is just a first step in doing some cleanup, but there is more to do - depending on how pilots want to trade off items 1), 2) and 3).

Andy Blackburn
9B
Chair, SSA Competition Rules Committee

Thanks Andy, for your answer and for all your work on the issue.

A question on the practical aspect: to implement weight-adjusted handicaps, would all gliders at a contest need to be weighed? Or would the pilots' declared all-up flying weights be accepted without verification? Of course the honor system may let some cheating slip through. But a full weighing may be a significant burden on contest organizers, especially at the smaller regionals.